Vet student accused of pulling tragic con on horse owners

Discussion in 'Veterinary' started by Caia, Apr 4, 2018.

1. hygebeorht

hygebeorht radiology is best ology
    Veterinarian 5+ Year Member

Veterinarian
    Correction, baby CSU vet living in Texas. I don't know the full details of both cases, but it's my impression that the Texas vet's bad conduct and bad judgment - not just the act of killing her neighbor's cat - is what is keeping her in hot water.

vetmedhead and batsenecal like this.
  2. batsenecal

batsenecal U of I c/o 2021
    5+ Year Member

Veterinary Student
    Ah, thanks for the correction.

Agreed. The whole "hunting feral/neighbor's cat" thing aside (which i think was even discussed somewhere here on SDN), the social media aspect of her actions in of itself is astoundingly stupid.

hygebeorht likes this.
  3. OP
    OP
    Caia

Caia deserve victory
    Veterinarian 2+ Year Member

Veterinarian
    I might make this the vet forum news thread so we can discuss various things as they come up. It would be nice to get some activity on this side of the forums.

4. OP
    OP
    Caia

Caia deserve victory

Veterinarian
  5. batsenecal

5+ Year Member

Veterinary Student
  6. OP
    OP
    Caia

Caia deserve victory

Veterinarian
    vetmedhead and batsenecal like this.
  7. StayingPositive2017

StayingPositive2017 Michigan State CVM c/o 2022

Pre-Veterinary
    I know there's a thread about this somewhere but since this is the news thread now, I'll post it here:

Cat-killing Texas veterinarian loses appeal

Her one year suspension is already over, so can practice again while on probation I guess.

8. vetmedhead

vetmedhead I hope my heart goes first!
    2+ Year Member

Veterinary Student
    I doubt she's going to have much of a veterinary career ever again. Even ignoring her complete lack of personal ethics, I would absolutely not want to be the vet clinic that takes the PR ****storm that is sure to follow if she is hired on. I also feel like there is very little chance she would find a potential employer who didn't know about this, wouldn't be able to find out about it via a cursory background check, or who would be willing to overlook it.

Stop hovering to collapse... Click to collapse... Hover to expand... Click to expand...
  9. StayingPositive2017

StayingPositive2017 Michigan State CVM c/o 2022

Pre-Veterinary
  10. batsenecal

5+ Year Member

Veterinary Student
  11. OP
    OP
    Caia

Caia deserve victory

Veterinarian
  12. OP
    OP
    Caia

Caia deserve victory

Veterinarian
  13. pinkpuppy9

pinkpuppy9 Illinois c/o 2019
    5+ Year Member

Veterinary Student
    I can empathize with the rage and shock this woman was probably feeling seeing her cat get beaten. Also have to wonder if there was domestic abuse going on, as it rarely stops with the animals. Not saying it's okay to kill someone.

Separately:

'Pure animal cruelty.' Second fake vet turns himself in after deadly dog neutering, cops say Not entirely sure why someone wouldn't be suspicious about dropping their dog off at an apartment for a medical procedure but :shrug:

Stop hovering to collapse... Click to collapse... Hover to expand... Click to expand...
  14. DVMDream

DVMDream Don't disturb the snowflakes
    Veterinarian 7+ Year Member

Veterinarian
    If someone even dares think about hurting my cat, they will wish they were dead. That is all I have to say.

This story, however, seems to be missing some pieces. If she shot her husband while he was beating the cat, how did she have time to create search posters for the missing cat? So at one point the cat is missing, at another it is being beat by the husband and she shoots him while he is beating the cat. The story is just.... convoluted the way that it was written in that article.

vetmedhead likes this.
  15. pinkpuppy9

5+ Year Member

Veterinary Student
    Yeah I was trying to understand that too. I think the author is trying to say that the woman lost her cat and it returned recently just as a side note t0 the story.

I thought it was just my area news outlets that had really poorly written articles, but it looks like it's an epidemic.

16. LyraGardenia

LyraGardenia Kansas State c/o 2020
    5+ Year Member

Veterinary Student
  17. batsenecal

5+ Year Member

Veterinary Student
    Interesting that she's returned to class. Obviously Tuskegee won't be able to comment that much, but I still find it interesting.

18. pinkpuppy9

5+ Year Member

Veterinary Student
    Same. Even if she wasn't found guilty, you'd think they wouldn't want her name on a degree from their university.

19. batsenecal

5+ Year Member

Veterinary Student
    I'm all for innocent until proven guilty in a court of law, and am not a fan of schools stepping in on legal matters. At the same time, this must break the school code on some level too. I couldn't imagine any equine owners being keen on her being their horse's student during her equine rotations.

Caiter92 likes this.
  20. supershorty

supershorty Minnesota c/o 2020ish
    5+ Year Member

Veterinary Student
    I think I remember reading that Tuskegee was limited in what they could do because it was behavior that wasn't conducted on school property, or something like that. She hadn't (hasn't?) been convicted of anything, which tied their hands to some extent.

ChandlerD22 and batsenecal like this.
  21. WeimMama

WeimMama RUSVM c/o 2018
    2+ Year Member

Veterinarian
    Yeah I feel like she could/would sue their asses off if they got rid of her before she is actually charged with anything. So she will probably graduate with a degree because of how slow the wheels of justice turn. Now whether she is ever actually able to be licensed and/or find a job is another story...

22. OP
    OP
    Caia

Caia deserve victory

Veterinarian
    If the vet that shot an arrow through a neighbour's cat's head could find a job...she will too. But it will seriously hinder her career either way.

23. batsenecal

5+ Year Member

Veterinary Student
    Is retroactively rescinding a degree a thing? Not saying it would happen, but it would be interesting if it did.

WeimMama likes this.
  24. vetmedhead

2+ Year Member

Veterinary Student
    This is an interesting conversation. Were she to be in law school, I think there is no way she would be able to be licensed, because every bar association in the country requires applicants to pass a character and fitness requirement in order to be admitted (and therefore to practice law). It's a very rigorous process for the most part and would definitely reveal these charges.

I always found it kind of interesting that other professional bodies didn't have a similar process - especially since its intent is to protect the reputation of the profession and ensure that the licensing board feels that the person would practice scrupulously in their new role.

WeimMama, WildZoo and Caiter92 like this.
  25. WeimMama

WeimMama RUSVM c/o 2018
    2+ Year Member

Veterinarian
    did she though? last i heard that biddy was still lurking around TX getting DUIs on the monthly

26. vetmedhead

2+ Year Member

Veterinary Student
    The last I heard was that her license was suspended for a year, then reactivated but will remain under probation for four years, during which time she is only allowed to practice veterinary medicine under the supervision of another licensed veterinarian. I think she's in the middle of trying to appeal that decision, but getting shot down by the board thus far. I don't know if she's gotten any other jobs though

WeimMama likes this.