Vet Student burned out, tired and ending it all after 4 years

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

Evyamiga <3

*** NO Class 2019 ***
7+ Year Member
Reaction score
Well, it's no surprise that NAVLE results came out yesterday for some. I failed ....At this point I'm tired of working so hard for years and leaving my home for nothing. Before y'all start with the classics: "You can retake it", "It's not end of the world", "It happens" ... Hear me out.
I've been above and beyond for this career compromising my physical and mental health for a "dream" of becoming a doctor. JAJAJA that's funny. It doesn't matter how much I studied my grades never reflect the work. Went to counseling and essentially got medicated and told of "new study tricks" (which didn't work). Talked to clinicians/professors/classmates and everyone is like " you can do it"
Well the NAVLE beat everyone to the punch by essentially telling me I AM NOT A DOCTOR...the ultimate separator between people who are meant to do this and the ones who don't.
I had interviews lined up, that I must certainly cancel since I'm not going to be up to standards, heck I cant even f******* practice.
So here it is folks....the beauty of veterinary medicine from the eyes of someone that got told a lie and will pay dearly for life.

PS: Don't care if I'm reported to school for this

Members don't see this ad.

I'm sorry you feel that way, but I can tell you that the NAVLE in no way whatsoever reflects your abilities in terms how well you'll do when practicing as a veterinarian. It's a generalized exam, it doesn't account for anything beyond general knowledge really, how you handle yourself in clinics is more important in my personal opinion. I do hope you reconsider and re-take the exam, it sucks putting in work all the time and never feeling like you get the grades for the amount of work you put in, but you've gotten this far not because you're incapable of being a veterinarian, but because you are. Again I am sorry you feel this way, but I know from personal experience as someone who comes from a family of veterinarians that in no way do grades reflect your abilities in practice and I've seen plenty of "rockstars" who have been top of their class who just don't do well in the clinical setting.

Reactions: 1 users
OP it's totally normal to feel the way you do but please do not think this means you are not meant for this. Imposter syndrome is something we must deal with as a career. Honestly, if it cheers you up I graduated from vet school in 2017 and even though I passed my NAVLE (barely) I barely made it through vet school.

After finishing school I was diagnosed with a rare life altering autoimmune disease. I really saw an enormous wall and I have not even begun practicing medicine yet. I finally have my medical condition under control and can finally resume practicing medicine starting this year. I cannot express enough that life is an ever ending uphill battle and it comes at you in so many ways.

It's completely normal to want to give up but one way or the other there are so many of us fork in the road types in this field. But the illusion is every one is passing, getting the internships of their dreams, etc and we can barely get our act together. Or at least thats how our mind perceives it.

Failing the NAVLE is something I would have traded in half a second compared to what I went through and I havent even started practicing yet.

Reactions: 1 users
Members don't see this ad :)
Well, it's no surprise that NAVLE results came out yesterday for some. I failed ....At this point I'm tired of working so hard for years and leaving my home for nothing. Before y'all start with the classics: "You can retake it", "It's not end of the world", "It happens" ... Hear me out.
I've been above and beyond for this career compromising my physical and mental health for a "dream" of becoming a doctor. JAJAJA that's funny. It doesn't matter how much I studied my grades never reflect the work. Went to counseling and essentially got medicated and told of "new study tricks" (which didn't work). Talked to clinicians/professors/classmates and everyone is like " you can do it"
Well the NAVLE beat everyone to the punch by essentially telling me I AM NOT A DOCTOR...the ultimate separator between people who are meant to do this and the ones who don't.
I had interviews lined up, that I must certainly cancel since I'm not going to be up to standards, heck I cant even f******* practice.
So here it is folks....the beauty of veterinary medicine from the eyes of someone that got told a lie and will pay dearly for life.

PS: Don't care if I'm reported to school for this
The 'ultimate separator' isn't the NAVLE, it's the entire 4 years of the program, don't ya think? You've persevered through all of the crap that is vet school. You slogged through the pre-reqs. The last hurdle has tripped you up, and it trips up people every. year. I'm not going to try and persuade you because I know all the emotions are very fresh and no matter what we say, it's not going to help.

What I will say is that I know of about 6 people who have failed the NAVLE, passed it on their first retake, and went on to internships, their dream job, etc. Each one felt the way you do now. While I don't know how they got past it, they did and they are doctors. If you're interested, there is a very private FB support group for those who have failed the NAVLE, started by one of these people I know. You have to message him to get in. I'd be happy to coordinate that for you, just let me know.

Reactions: 13 users
The NAVLE is bull****. It's a standardized test that has zero practical application. The classmates of mine who failed the first time are highly intelligent people who have gone on to succeed in practice. Your emotional turmoil is 100% understandable, but I hope you find a way to ride it out. Yes, veterinary medicine is a garbage profession in many ways, but you didn't put in all that blood, sweat, and tears to not finish. You're a few months away from finally having the freedom to find the parts of this profession that are still worth doing.

Reactions: 3 users
UPDATE:
Payed for the NAVLE again and started to study....however it's still hard to sit down and concentrate without going into the whole emotional turmoil and comparing myself to classmates. I can definitely study/concentrate but its getting harder each day....
is this normal?

Reactions: 2 users
UPDATE:
Payed for the NAVLE again and started to study....however it's still hard to sit down and concentrate without going into the whole emotional turmoil and comparing myself to classmates. I can definitely study/concentrate but its getting harder each day....
is this normal?
My classmate/friend who is also retaking the NAVLE said the exact same thing last night. It's hard to face the fact that you have to study all over again, it's hard to hear classmates getting excited for jobs/internships. I don't know that I have the words to comfort you but what you're feeling is most definitely normal.

Reactions: 1 user
Anyone hear an update on the OP? She has the gritty determination and brains to pass that test if she completed the academic demands of vet school.

Anyone hear an update on the OP? She has the gritty determination and brains to pass that test if she completed the academic demands of vet school.
My last communication she had regrouped and was preparing to take the exam again for spring, but haven't received an update recently. I hope she kicked arse and will return to let us know how it went. Whether it be a pass or not, I know she knows all of us are behind her.

Reactions: 1 user
My last communication she had regrouped and was preparing to take the exam again for spring, but haven't received an update recently. I hope she kicked arse and will return to let us know how it went. Whether is be a pass or not, I know she knows all of us are behind her.
I would so like to hear that she has passed it and is busy making plans for her future as a vet! But if not, she will now have time to devote to preparation.

I believe the OP did pass!

Reactions: 8 users
Hi everyone!
As I seat here and read this message again, I can't believe all the support I received from you all and others. I did pass the NAVLE on the second round and I'm currently working in VA. I can't say I'm fully confident vet but it's nice to see that I can get help. I just started this adventure :)
Crossing fingers

• Love
Reactions: 22 users