Vet students, what are your monthly living expenses?

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

FutureVet96

5+ Year Member
Reaction score
This includes rent, utilities, food, etc.

Members don't see this ad.

This includes rent, utilities, food, etc.
This is a very broad question and one that's very difficult to answer because these prices vary so drastically from region to region and from person to person. When you go to apply I would ask these questions on the individual class thread for each school or do some research on your own first for the schools you are thinking of applying to through places like apartments.com. Most schools also have an estimated living expense cost on their tuition page.

Ex: CSU rent in Ft. Collins runs about $1000-1500/ mo for a 1 bedroom apt depending on what you want. This amount of rent can be reduced if you have roommates, find a great deal, etc. Meanwhile at Mizzou rent for a 1 bedroom runs between $500-700. Quite a difference. You'll also have great variation in utility prices as well as food because you can live like a pauper living off ramen and in the dark except when necessary or you can live more extravagantly.

Reactions: 1 users
And then you can be like me where one month I lived off less than $900 total and the first month of school I'm at ~$1200 because I have an addiction to vet school gear/swag. I spend less than $80 on my grocery bill. Rent and utilities are $565 total. Gas is $100. Oil change every 3-4 months is ~$30. I get something major fixed every 6 months it feels like, however. So that'll be ~$600 (though my truck is running out of things to fix).

You need to look at a three major factors:

1) where you're willing to go to school?
2) how you're willing to live?
3) how much money will you make a week?

Members don't see this ad :)
And then you can be like me where one month I lived off less than $900 total and the first month of school I'm at ~$1200 because I have an addiction to vet school gear/swag. I spend less than $80 on my grocery bill. Rent and utilities are $565 total. Gas is $100. Oil change every 3-4 months is ~$30. I get something major fixed every 6 months it feels like, however. So that'll be ~$600 (though my truck is running out of things to fix).

You need to look at a three major factors:

1) where you're willing to go to school?
2) how you're willing to live?
3) how much money will you make a week?
I'm having major de ja vu... didn't I see this post by you a while back, or am I crazy? haha

as far as my stuff goes, I'm in corn country, Illinois as well (just like bats) and rent for me is about ~$450 (three bed, two other people living in the house), with $50 allotted for electric each month (it's been less than that so far). I get gas once every three to four weeks (7-10 minute drive to the vet school, small car, and don't really go anywhere else) so that's about $20-25 a month, depending on prices. I also spend no more than $20 a week on groceries. You can expect to spend more than that at first while you're filling your pantry, but now I've settled into spending $15-20 a week, occasionally skipping weeks.

But it does largely depend on where you're living, like everyone's said. Also keep in mind what you're driving, whether you bring pets (I don't have any with me right now), how much you're spending on nonessentials...

I'm having major de ja vu... didn't I see this post by you a while back, or am I crazy? haha

I mention my addiction to college gear regularly, so that may be it. lol. I also still haven't figured out who you are!

It was your truck not having much more to break that was what did it for me hah

also, mysteriessss.

I also talk about my truck a lot too. lol. Maybe I will find you're identity during rotation.