This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.
D

deleted915379

Members don't see this ad.

Last edited by a moderator:
Get file reviews from the vet schools you applied to so that you can work on the things they tell you were reasons you weren't accepted.

Go to vet tech school if you want to be a vet tech. You won't be able to skip out on any courses.

Work at a clinic, shelter, etc if you want to be a vet.

Reactions: 10 users
Hello!

I will be graduating with my B.S. in Biology this coming Spring, unfortunately, I was not accepted into any Vet school's this cycle.

I've contemplated a few paths I could take that I believe will increase my profile as an applicant, and going to Vet Tech school is one of those option.

However, I have been browsing this forum these last few days and quite a few people said that going to Vet Tech school is a waste of time and money, and it's just better to work at clinic (That is another choice I've considered.)

But, I've also read from other members that being a RVT/LVT looks really good on application and can provide a student with invaluable experiences. Outside of that, I have a few question about Vet school and would greatly appreciate your feedback!

1. Since I already have my B.S. will I be able to place out of some courses for vet tech school and not have to do the full two years?
  2. Would you suggest working at a clinic, or going to school and become a certified RVT?
Thank you!

Some of the experiences you can have in RVT school do look very good on vet school applications, but they're usually not something you couldn't get on your own with networking and cheerful determination. I leveraged being in school to get opportunities at aquariums/zoos/research institutions...maybe I got to them 'faster' but they're still totally achievable.

If your heart is set on vet school, it is absolutely a waste of money to do an RVT program. That's two years of time AND tuition money. It is possible you'd be able to waive one or two basic classes (Biology or Anatomy) but even that is not a guarantee.

Reactions: 4 users
Members don't see this ad :)
I would post on the "What are my chances?" thread. That and doing file reviews would be beneficial. If it is something easy like getting more veterinary experiences, no, don't bother with LVT school. That is a career in and of itself; some people do the LVT, THEN realize they want to be a veterinarian. If you already know what you want to be there isn't really a reason to go through with that. If you have GPA-related obstacles, you may have to go back to school. You can get a peer evaluation on the aforementioned thread to help determine which of the two it is.

Hello!

I will be graduating with my B.S. in Biology this coming Spring, unfortunately, I was not accepted into any Vet school's this cycle.

I've contemplated a few paths I could take that I believe will increase my profile as an applicant, and going to Vet Tech school is one of those option.

However, I have been browsing this forum these last few days and quite a few people said that going to Vet Tech school is a waste of time and money, and it's just better to work at clinic (That is another choice I've considered.)

But, I've also read from other members that being a RVT/LVT looks really good on application and can provide a student with invaluable experiences. Outside of that, I have a few question about Vet school and would greatly appreciate your feedback!

1. Since I already have my B.S. will I be able to place out of some courses for vet tech school and not have to do the full two years?
  2. Would you suggest working at a clinic, or going to school and become a certified RVT?
Thank you!
Work for a clinic. Dont go for a CVT/LVT/RVT. I gained amazing technical skills on the job that you dont get much practice with in vet school to become proficient. Also it helps with interview questions when they ask traits, pay/income/finances of the veterinary world. I also think itll give you a great appreciation for techs when you become a vet. Additionally, as a tech you become a jack of all trades and schools like well rounded applicants. Again, dont waste money for tech school if youre going to become a vet, it just means larger monthly payments for the next 20-30 years of your life.

Reactions: 1 user
I'm a vet tech and was accepted this cycle to KSU. However, I was lucky enough to become a tech without going thought tech school. I started as a kennel technician and moved but to being a technician. I feel like I again a lot more knowledge in the veterinary field once I became a tech that helped me answer questions/write essays. I would look into going with this route if possible

I'm a vet tech and was accepted this cycle to KSU. However, I was lucky enough to become a tech without going thought tech school. I started as a kennel technician and moved but to being a technician. I feel like I again a lot more knowledge in the veterinary field once I became a tech that helped me answer questions/write essays. I would look into going with this route if possible

If you can find a way to become a tech without paying for any sort of school, then sure.

Are you a registered/licensed veterinary technician? Because that’s what this thread is about - getting that certification. Usually you have to pay for schooling to do that, which is what we have an issue with.

Reactions: 2 users
In a way I sort of went the "vet tech then vet school" route--but not in the traditional sense. I only went this route because my school offers it as a 4-year program (there are currently only ~22 accredited 4-year vet tech programs in the country, I think). I enjoyed my time in this program, gained valuable experiences, and it certainly gave me a new appreciation for the relationship between DVMs and LVTs and "tech"/assistants. That being said, I do not ever mean to imply that getting an LVT is always a great and feasible option for improving vet school applications--in my case, it was not about getting the license so much as improving my GPA through a second Bachelor's; the experience and LVT were bonuses. Plus, I am simply fortunate that all the pieces were already in place for me. My school is local (and very affordable), so their new vet technology program turned out to be a great fit for me and my goals; I didn't have to move or worry about paying higher tuition. Had such a program not been offered here, pursuing tech school would never have crossed my mind, since I had no plans of being a career LVT.

I like the "you wouldn't need to go to nursing school before med school" analogy. If your only goal is to get more experience to apply for vet school, then there is no reason to pursue vet tech school because this can be obtained in other ways. It worked in my case, but I am a somewhat special case :) the program I attended is one of the few which grant a B.S., whereas I don't know if course credits taken in a 2-year vet tech program would be accepted by many vet schools.

Reactions: 1 user