Veteran Affairs jobs?

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

echod

15+ Year Member
Reaction score
I'm wondering if people can share their experiences practicing at the VA as attendings. Especially for those who practice full time there and are an employee of the VA system. How has it been like in your experience? Do many rad oncs work at VAs? Are VA jobs competitive?

Members don't see this ad.

Ok I'll bite.... I haven't personally worked at one, but I know a couple of people who have and have seen job listings.

I do not believe they are highly coveted.... in at least a couple of cases, I know FMGs that used VA jobs as a stepping stone for getting their green card (since the VA's needed rad oncs and were willing to sponsor the appropriate visas). From what I recall, the job postings have starting salaries <$300K and there is not a lot of growth beyond that. On the flip side, you have pretty good job security and schedule (8-4:30 pretty much set in stone, if you've ever worked in the VA.... you'll know what I mean about trying to get things outside of those hours :)) You also get a gold-plated benefits package as a government worker (For example I believe you get a pension after X years of service based on your salary, but that may have changed for newer hires, I am not sure).

I think for younger grads getting out, most people want to be in a busier, more productive place and the VA strikes me as a place you work as you get beyond the peak of your career and want to slow down (or maybe want something with a better schedule). Where this might be untrue is a major VA center affiliated with a large academic center where they treat a ton of patients (I saw an ad a few years ago for the VA next to MD Anderson in Houston, and they mentioned having brachy, CK etc, not just a standard linac setup).

Yes, some VA's are staffed by physicians employed by other hospitals/practices, to whom VA has contracted the work (New York, Philadelphia).
Straight VA employment appears to pay relatively poorly - saw ad for 295K for mid-career type of position, and 325K for a chairman.
From what I hear, another problem is that patients in VA are often unhappy, as they are forced to get treated there.

Members don't see this ad :)
Is 295k relatively poor pay?

I've searched some state salary websites to see how much people make in academics and roughly 300k seems like par for the course.

From what I hear, another problem is that patients in VA are often unhappy, as they are forced to get treated there.

Yes I forgot about that. They will shuttle patients over within a certain distance from the VA center to stay at a place for 6-8 weeks while they get their XRT. Exceptions are made though

Is 295k relatively poor pay?

I've searched some state salary websites to see how much people make in academics and roughly 300k seems like par for the course.

Considering recent starting salaries per the arro survey are in the $250-270k range, yes. And depending on where you are, a va job is certainly not the same as an academic job. I personally would rather be in academics, starting out

if starting at 250-270 is the average, how is starting at 295 bad. Idgi

well that's way higher than the AVERAGE that megdator refers to, isn't it.

I feel like people who fill out the arro survey always give a lower number then what I hear about the starting salaries of graduating residents across the country

Unlikely for a typical job imo. They are either doing urorads or are starting out in the boonies

Nope, hospital based practices in middle sized cities (not NYC, LA)

Ofcourse it's harder in major cities

Last edited: