Veteran Education Benefits & How to Use Them? (Texas)

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

Dauntless17

Reaction score
Currently about 350 days shy of separating from active duty and have ~2 years left of undergrad to complete.

Being a TX resident, I'll qualify for the hazlewood exemption and both VA education benefits. I'm trying to figure out the best way to utilize both the hazlewood and post-9/11 or MGIB.

So far I've only found that I can't use both at the same time..
To be eligible for the hazlewood, a vet must:
"Have no federal Veteran’s education benefits, or have no federal Veterans education benefits dedicated to the payment of tuition and fees only (such as Chapter 33 or 31; for term or semester enrolled that do not exceed the value of Hazlewood benefits;"

Does anyone have any insight or experience with using both the Hazlewood Exemption AND the MGIB or Post-9/11 G.I. Bills? If so, please feel free to share.

**EDIT: I realize now this thread would be better suited in the Non-trad forum. is it possible to have it switched?

Members don't see this ad.

Last edited:
Pretty sure that line you quoted just means that the two benefits cannot be stacked on top of each other during the same semester for the same classes. Both the GI bill and the Hazlewood act can be used for either undergraduate school or graduate school. If I were you I would recommend using the Hazlewood for undergrad since it only covers tuition and you might be able to balance a part-time job or have enough saved up to survive without working from your time in the military. Then when your bank account is running low or when you get into medical school switch over to the GI bill since it pays tuition + book allowance + housing allowance and should be enough to live off of with minimal if any loans. Just be aware to plan out financially for summer/winter break since the GI bill only pays the housing allowance for the days/months you are actively in school. So summer break or winter break = no housing allowance.

Reactions: 1 user
Thanks for the reply and your suggestion. I've been considering for some time now how to utilize both and your suggestion is certainly worth considering.

There is no way you can use Hazelwood and GI bill at the same time. Part of the application of hazelwood is showing that you are ineligible for further GI bill payments. Even if you could, you wouldn't want to since Hazelwood can only be used for tuition, and GI Bill only pays the tuition after tuition scholarships have been paid.

You'll use the GI Bill until it runs out, then transfer over to Hazelwood. Most Texas schools have VA departments so go talk to them as well

Reactions: 1 user