Veterans Affairs jobs

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

a runner

15+ Year Member
Reaction score
I was wondering if anyone has experience working at the VA or applying for jobs there, or know anyone who does? Are these jobs incredibly competitive? Some of the ones listed are in places like Fort Meade, SD and Gallup, NM (undesirable places to say the least). But there are also several other jobs listed right now in places like Los Angeles, Pittsburgh, Little Rock AR, Jackson MS, and Salem VA. Most of those places are probably undesirable to some people, but do you think these jobs receive a multitude of applications and are difficult to get for an applicant straight out of fellowship?

Also, how does the VA compare to private practice? I'd assume it is less volume and more regular hours. The job postings says 8-4:30 M-F schedule with on-call coverage as needed. I looked up the pay to see what specific VA radiologists are making in various places (federal employee pay is publicly searchable) and it seems all of them are making in the $260-$295k range with a few chiefs making a little more and IR people making up to $375k, which seems pretty good, especially if the lifestyle and pace is not so frenetic, and considering federal employees have a nice benefits package.

Members don't see this ad.

Thank you. Some very good information in there.

It sounds like VA jobs are very competitive to get, or at the least, they are academic oriented and so like to take radiologists from upper tier residencies. Although, I've been watching those two jobs in Fort Meade, SD and Gallup, NM for >1 year and it seems they can't even fill them (or are incredibly inefficient and slow in filling them) or keep having to re-post them due to turnover, which makes sense if you've ever been to these places (I have).

Members don't see this ad :)
Thank you. Some very good information in there.

It sounds like VA jobs are very competitive to get, or at the least, they are academic oriented and so like to take radiologists from upper tier residencies. Although, I've been watching those two jobs in Fort Meade, SD and Gallup, NM for >1 year and it seems they can't even fill them (or are incredibly inefficient and slow in filling them) or keep having to re-post them due to turnover, which makes sense if you've ever been to these places (I have).

Regarding the bolded, I wouldn't go that far. If VA jobs are academically oriented, it's by virtue of their association with a university program and not because of anything intrinsic to the VA. VA jobs are currently relatively competitive, but I think that's more a function of the market than the jobs themselves. I think the VA would have hired a trained monkey if he could have produced an ABR certificate in 2005.

I put this in my post in the other thread, but I'll emphasize it here because you're referencing jobs right out of fellowship...there's frequently a stigma attached to working at the VA. You may find it difficult to find nearby private practice work if you find that the VA is not right for you. And if you're asking yourself why anyone would want to leave the VA, then you've probably never experienced the new circles of Hell that federal bureaucracy creates.

If you're not sure what type of work environment you prefer - and you probably don't because, statistically, you're highly likely to switch jobs at least once soon after fellowship - then you're probably better off going into PP first. If you feel yourself getting burned out, then it's likely there will be a VA job for you somewhere.

Reactions: 1 user
Regarding the bolded, I wouldn't go that far. If VA jobs are academically oriented, it's by virtue of their association with a university program and not because of anything intrinsic to the VA. VA jobs are currently relatively competitive, but I think that's more a function of the market than the jobs themselves. I think the VA would have hired a trained monkey if he could have produced an ABR certificate in 2005.

I put this in my post in the other thread, but I'll emphasize it here because you're referencing jobs right out of fellowship...there's frequently a stigma attached to working at the VA. You may find it difficult to find nearby private practice work if you find that the VA is not right for you. And if you're asking yourself why anyone would want to leave the VA, then you've probably never experienced the new circles of Hell that federal bureaucracy creates.

If you're not sure what type of work environment you prefer - and you probably don't because, statistically, you're highly likely to switch jobs at least once soon after fellowship - then you're probably better off going into PP first. If you feel yourself getting burned out, then it's likely there will be a VA job for you somewhere.

4+.

Reactions: 1 user