Veterans: Anyone using VA voc rehab?

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.
@USMC3097
1. Voc Rehab will pay 48 months with VRC approval or if you demonstrate SEH. I used half of GI Bill during undergrad and was still approved for 42 month medical program.

2. Post 9/11 BAH the whole time. Keep in mind, save at least 1 day of post 9/11 eligibility at the time of Voc Rehab approval to get BAH. Otherwise you'll only qualify for the Ch 31 stipend. Don't use all you post 9/11!

3. Yes, BAH can be continued until suitable employment is found, up to 6 months of job searching. For example, you get BAH until you start residency in September even though you graduate in May.

4. It varies depending on how smooth your case goes and the disposition of your VRC. My case took about 8 months but that included various appeals, letters and outside evaluations. 2-3 months is typical for less complex cases. There is some form of retroactive reimbursement available though I'm not sure what it all covers. I had to sign a waiver of retroactive reimbursement when my plan was approved.

caveat: this is from my personal experience, YMMV
Thanks a million

Members don't see this ad.

This is some great information, thank you for posting all of this.

I am completing a post-bacc program at a DO school next month and have been accepted into the school for the class of 2020. I have a 10% disability, but it involves my thumb dexterity and my background is in telecomm so I can't really work with electronics. I have one day of post 9/11 benefits left and put in a request for voc rehab today. I'll update as I get more information.

1) .... If you have a "serious employment handicap," you can go beyond the additional 12 months (beyond the 48 total, such as 52, 56, 60, etc - whatever is needed AND approved)

This is a bit tricky depending on if you have any intermediate goals along the way. For example, if you are an undergrad, you can get for example 96 months approved and the plan will show an intermediate goal of a bachelors and a then a career goal of doctor of medicine. The problem comes if you fail to get into med school on your first pass then they will re-evaluate you and decide that you are employable with a bachelors and you won't get the rest of the originally planned entitlement.

Members don't see this ad :)
This is a bit tricky depending on if you have any intermediate goals along the way. For example, if you are an undergrad, you can get for example 96 months approved and the plan will show an intermediate goal of a bachelors and a then a career goal of doctor of medicine. The problem comes if you fail to get into med school on your first pass then they will re-evaluate you and decide that you are employable with a bachelors and you won't get the rest of the originally planned entitlement.

This is somewhat based on the counselor and your actual aptitude as to whether or not it would become a problem. Also, one could always argue that you are not gainfully employable in your field (medical) with a bachelors degree, and if medical school didn't work out on the individuals part (i.e. sub par grades/no med school acceptance), one could always request another similar field or level of edu (i.e. dental school, podiatry, or a masters in PA).

It's a valid point, so definitely proceed with caution in some cases, but its not the end of the world and decisions can be fought/appealed and overturned!

Dudes,

I signed the paperwork yesterday with Voc Rehab: The rest of undergrad + medical school! I never would have known about any of this if it wasn't for this thread. Thank you so much, like 250K much.

Reactions: 7 users
Do you mind sharing your experience with your counselor?
I went into the meeting prepared, had a full understanding of the pertinent regulations, and was prepared for a fight. However, we ended up talking about our golden retrievers, how we're from the same (tiny) state, and neither of us like texas, etc. It was super pleasant and she totally set me up for long term success. She even mentioned that she should be able to cover an MCAT prep course for next year.

I left with what is, essentially, a full ride + living expenses to medical school. It's still sinking in.

Now I just have to get in somewhere :)

Reactions: 5 users
I went into the meeting prepared, had a full understanding of the pertinent regulations, and was prepared for a fight. However, we ended up talking about our golden retrievers, how we're from the same (tiny) state, and neither of us like texas, etc. It was super pleasant and she totally set me up for long term success. She even mentioned that she should be able to cover an MCAT prep course for next year.

I left with what is, essentially, a full ride + living expenses to medical school. It's still sinking in.

Now I just have to get in somewhere :)
YOU GUYS....

I just read this entire thread and am welling up at the possibilities. I am half way done with my BSN and have 25 days left of my GI Bill with 18 months of transferred Ch. 33 to me. I am convinced that I can attempt to get my MSN with little to no loans AND housing assistance.

I applied for my Ch. 31 benefits a few days ago and was doing research on what to expect. This thread basically had all the information one could need but here's my question: When I need with my counselor should I say my long term goal then is a MSN for teaching (something low-stress, that meets disability needs) or do I just stick with the BSN? I'm only 40% and don't think I would fall under the severe category of getting benefits extended past the 12 months.

The thing with Voc Rehab is that it is an employment program that aims to get you gainful, entry level employment in your field for which you have interest, aptitude, etc. DO/MD is the entry level degree for medicine which is why you may see a decent amount of people using it on these forums (also, many including myself have gone to the counselor with acceptances in hand), while BSN is the entry level for nursing. I COULD see DNP or PA as possibilities over MSN. You will have different opportunities and skills with those over BSN or MSN, and you can teach with each of those degrees as well, but if you want to be a teacher, they will say go into education since an MSN isn't necessarily meant for that. To my knowledge (correct me if I'm wrong, mind you - I'm being general), having an MSN signifies that you are a specially trained nurse, but still doing nursing duties over all, which is why an MSN may be more difficult to obtain through Ch 31 while having your BSN (which is still in progress).

A former co-worker of mine who was an RN/BSN attends a DNP program through Voc Rehab, so I do know that is possible/being done, I have just not heard/seen anyone do an MSN with it.

It also doesn't matter your percentage as much as what the ailments are that were rated.

This is just my .02 based on my experience with Voc Rehab.

You can also see the link in my signature, which is another thread on Voc rehab, but talks about Ch 30 and Ch 33. Other programs/scholarship opportunities have also been mentioned/listed, to include an HPSP through the VA which also covers nursing at all levels as well as medical school with a service to the VA as obligation as opposed to military, but structured similarly.

There may be many entry level programs, but an MSN isn't the entry level to the field, which is what most, if not all, Voc Rehab counselors go off of. Many people get denied outright as it is, even when they are deserving. I'm not saying MSN can't happen, I'm just saying shoot for the DNP, and if that happens to be denied, maybe they can "settle" for an MSN. If it is approved, and they really don't want a DNP, it's much easier to switch to something that takes less time, AND is still in the field, thus an MSN can still be obtained. If only the MSN is requested, especially while the BSN is still in progress, there's no where else to go if denied.

It's all about strategy with Voc Rehab. Still bring the flowers, chocolate, good attitude, and massage oils (don't forget relaxing music and a table).

I can't quite get on board with your argument. If they went with that criteria no one would even get approved for a BSN since an ADN could land you entry to the field. Like you said its a rehabilitation program designed to prepare you for an agreed upon career. So If you say you wanna be a run of the mill nurse, yeah, probably gonna get approved for a BSN. If you articulate why you want an MSN in terms of needing it for a specific job, you'll be fine.

Tacoflavoredkisses: Just to make you feel better, I know someone getting their MSN (after getting having their BSN for a while) through voc rehab.

Don't forget the rose petals, edible underwear, candles, and a blow-up mattress. Use all the skills you've learned in bars across the world and sweep your VRC of his/her feet. They are the gatekeeper. Seduce the gatekeeper.

I don't disagree with what you said at all. I'm only speculating the argument that a counselor will put up - that BSN is the entry-level degree for nursing. Yes, CNAs, LPNs, Associates degree RNs, diploma RNs, etc exist, but those aren't always considered "gainful" (exception of RNs AD/diploma, however BSNs will be required for hospital jobs as of 2020/2021 if I'm not mistaken?), so soon those may not be considered so either because of how limiting it can be (home health/assisted living/nursing homes only type of jobs).

Again, don't get me wrong - I agree with what you're saying. Taco is still working on the BSN, and a counselor may find it to be "entry-level enough," and/or that it is gainful enough. I think what were both trying to say is that it is possible, just be prepared in whatever way necessary to ensure you can get it. Again, it's just my .02.

Take EODs advice with articulating the MSN, and also bring in job listings that require an MSN - that will help. Good luck with it otherwise.

Reactions: 1 user
Quick question. Does voc rehab only pay BAH while you are in class and not during school breaks? I'm asking because according to my calculation, my G.I. Bill can be stretched out pretty close to entire four years of med school due to summer/winter breaks. So it wouldn't be really beneficial for me to apply for voc rehab if it is using the same system as GI Bill.

Correct, it is only while in school. With that said, keep this in mind... GI bill gives you $1000/yr for books and supplies while voc rehab purchases/reimburses for all required materials and will even purchase a laptop, printer/scanner for you on top of all the books. They will even pay for your pens and pencils for instance. Also... GI Bill has a cap for tuition depending on your state and whether public or private - if you go to a school that has yellow ribbon, this could close the gap a little or completely, but if you go somewhere private and without yellow ribbon, you may take out loans. Voc rehab pays tuition/fees 100% regardless if approved.

I think it would be beneficial. If they say no, continue what you're doing, if they say yes - use it.

Also, voc rehab is 48 months as opposed to 36 months, and here's the kicker............

A recent change in policy is that if using voc rehab, it doesn't utilize your GI Bill months. If you're able to switch to voc rehab now, you could still have the GI Bill for later. If you don't plan on attending school anymore and have enough TIS, you could transfer the GI Bill if spouse/children. Food for thought!

Reactions: 1 users
Do you have a ref. for that last part? That's awesome. Another benefit of Voc Rehab is it covers mandatory health insurance required by your school and a computer rental.

I do not - it's in the process. That came from a friend on the inside ;). Word is that this is the case with new voc rehab cases, and that people who are currently/already used voc rehab will have it back dated (this is a separate policy being worked on). If I come across something in writing, I'll post it.

Do you have health insurance being paid for? My school requires it, but my counselor won't purchase it because I can use the VA... but on the other hand, I'm receiving a laptop for myself - purchased, not rental.

Members don't see this ad :)
caveat:

the statement of understanding I just signed had language to this effect: If you take the CH 31 bah rate, you get to keep your ch 33 months of entitlement (yay!). If you elect for the higher ch 33 bah rate (with ch 31) you can only do so for the length of CH 33 eligibility remaining, effectively using up the benefit (half yay).

My understanding is this has changed recently. You no longer use your chapter 33 benefits when using the Ch 31. I can confirm for myself by going on e-benefits. I still have 26 months of post 9/11 GI bill remaining even though I have had 3 years of school so far (I did use chap. 33 benefits for the first year until I was approved for voc rehab). I have opted for the full chap 33 entitlement during my time in voc rehab.

My understanding is this has changed recently. You no longer use your chapter 33 benefits when using the Ch 31. I can confirm for myself by going on e-benefits. I still have 26 months of post 9/11 GI bill remaining even though I have had 3 years of school so far (I did use chap. 33 benefits for the first year until I was approved for voc rehab). I have opted for the full chap 33 entitlement during my time in voc rehab.

This is the same case for me. However, there is an incorrect date suggesting I started using voc rehab 1 year later, thus taking away 1 year of 33 benefits. I'll be trying to get that fixed this/next week.

So I've transferred most of my gi bill to my fam. If I use voc rehab, all those gi bill months will still be available to them?

Yes, I believe so. Separate programs. If you still have some GI bill left you can qualify for the GI bill BAH entitlement for voc rehab.

I'm been through this pretty extensivly with my VRC trying to figure out the rules here. We are all in agreement in that ch 31 does not take away from your ch 33 months. we're all square on that point.

I'm saying (well, my VRC rather) that if you elect for the higher monthly check (based on the ch 33 rate) then you do get charged months. It makes sense if you think about it. oh, and whenever those months run out, your bah rate reverts to the ch 31 rate. (50% cut in my zip code, sad face).

I elected 33 rate, but months haven't changed for my GI Bill. My VRC had told me that as long as I even had 1 day of eligibility for 33 that I could elect that rate for the full duration of 31 use. Double check wth your VRC.

I elected 33 rate, but months haven't changed for my GI Bill. My VRC had told me that as long as I even had 1 day of eligibility for 33 that I could elect that rate for the full duration of 31 use. Double check wth your VRC.

Same for me. Don't let them screw you over. Elevate up the chain, if necessary

I'm going to copy/pasta this from the Ch. 31 FB group b/c I know it comes from a reliable source.

this is where you can find the changes to the policy on restoration/entitlement use (regarding restoration of Post9/11 months used for Chapter 31) ***General Council Memo Procedural Advisory 48 month rule and chapter 31 entitlement use for original claims dtd. 12-10-2015 "Title 38, United States Code, a Regional Office had misinterpreted the 48-month rule. GC held that the use of benefits under 38 U.S.C. chapter 31 does not limit the use of education benefits listed in 38 U.S.C. § 3695(a). However, use of educational benefits listed in section 3695(a) could limit the number of months of assistance to which a service-disabled veteran may be entitled under chapter 31". This info is given out by the Post9/11 info number. 1-888-442-4551 (1 888 GI BILL 1) from 7AM - 7PM Central Time

I saw that, I just don't understand what it's saying.

My non-lawyer interpretation is that you have two scenarios.

1. where you use voc rehab (Ch. 31) first, which doesn't impact your post 9/11 (or any other benefits listed under 38 USC subsection 3695a (such as chapter 30, 32, 33, 34, 36).
2. where you use one of the programs OTHER than chapter 31 first (such as post 9/11); in this scenario is seems that the use of one of these benefits "may" impact your total time for ch 31.

Bottom line; use voc rehab first if you can get it.

I saw that, I just don't understand what it's saying.

My non-lawyer interpretation is that you have two scenarios.

1. where you use voc rehab (Ch. 31) first, which doesn't impact your post 9/11 (or any other benefits listed under 38 USC subsection 3695a (such as chapter 30, 32, 33, 34, 36).
2. where you use one of the programs OTHER than chapter 31 first (such as post 9/11); in this scenario is seems that the use of one of these benefits "may" impact your total time for ch 31.

Bottom line; use voc rehab first if you can get it.

That's correct to my best knowledge.

If you use only Ch31 to begin with, you'll have 48 months-completion (if SEH), and you will still have 36 months of Ch 30/33 afterward. If you use 12 months of say ch 33, you will then have 36-completion (if SEH) of potential voc rehab - if you make the switch yo voc rehab at that point and say you utilize all of voc rehab, you would still have 24 months left of ch 33 in this example.

That all makes sense. In my case I used 18 months of 33, and just switched. She gave me SEH status, so that helps, but the letter I just got in the mail with "potential entitlement remaining" for ch 31 says 29 months. Im not following where that number is coming from.... In my mind I'd have the full length of Ch 31 (36 or 48 months, not sure) then my remaining 18 months of ch 33.

In any event, I'm gonna sign the thing she sent me for the higher BAH, in the email i'll cite that memo, and ask if that changes anything.

I thought i'd be totally good to go since the program track I was approved for is 2 parts: the remaining year of undergrad and medical school. Its not a big deal in the long run arguing about the BAH rate considering they'll be paying tuition. Its still a life changing net swing.

As far as responding to everyone, I think we're all in vigorous agreement. The only thing I'm trying to figure out is if taking the ch 33 bah takes away from months of ch 33 entitlement and (as my vrc claims) when you run out of ch 33 months you revert to the ch 31 rate. Everything else is crystal, just this part that seems to vary from VRC to VRC.

Having at least one day of 33 eligibility is what allows you to get the BAH instead of the stipend, and the BAH to my best knowledge lasts for the duration because that's what you signed for. Otherwise having only one day would give people the 1 prorated day of BAH followed by the stipend anyway, and therefore be pointless.

31 USED to take away from education benefits - this is a recent change I believe in Dec. So it appears that old information is still being pushed by your VRC.

Also, there could be additional confusion because the initial change is for new cases, but I don't know when "new cases" are considered. There is a different policy being pushed for older/already in use/already completed cases I believe.

So depending on when everything is/has started could have caused confusion in the info passed by the VRC, but it appears you're a brand new case, so you should fall into everything we just discussed.

Since you're SEH, You should receive BAH (since you're signing for it) for all of Med school, AND have your ch33 for the remaining 18 months when you graduate.

Also, there could be additional confusion because the initial change is for new cases, but I don't know when "new cases" are considered. There is a different policy being pushed for older/already in use/already completed cases I believe.

So depending on when everything is/has started could have caused confusion in the info passed by the VRC, but it appears you're a brand new case, so you should fall into everything we just discussed.

Since you're SEH, You should receive BAH (since you're signing for it) for all of Med school, AND have your ch33 for the remaining 18 months when you graduate.
This situation sounds fantastic. BAH for residency in addition to Chapter 31 with full BAH for med school is an awesome deal.

This situation sounds fantastic. BAH for residency in addition to Chapter 31 with full BAH for med school is an awesome deal.

Yeah, I'm in my last year of medical school. I'm definitely looking to use my BAH for chap 33 during residency. It's a nice extra boost in salary.

I'm currently finishing my undergraduate. Do you wait until you've exsausted your G.I. Bill before applying for the Voc Rehab?

I do not - it's in the process. That came from a friend on the inside ;). Word is that this is the case with new voc rehab cases, and that people who are currently/already used voc rehab will have it back dated (this is a separate policy being worked on). If I come across something in writing, I'll post it.

Do you have health insurance being paid for? My school requires it, but my counselor won't purchase it because I can use the VA... but on the other hand, I'm receiving a laptop for myself - purchased, not rental.

Your health insurance should be already covered as part of your tuition. The laptop is def a purchased gift, not a rental.

Your health insurance should be already covered as part of your tuition. The laptop is def a purchased gift, not a rental.

It's not part of our tuition; it's a separate thing for which to sign up. The only exceptions they make are for military/veterans (tricare/VA, and it's on a case-by-case) and if you have children AND are on medicaid. I asked my VRC and said it wouldn't be covered since they do make exceptions, and that I can use the VA.

It's not part of our tuition; it's a separate thing for which to sign up. The only exceptions they make are for military/veterans (tricare/VA, and it's on a case-by-case) and if you have children AND are on medicaid. I asked my VRC and said it wouldn't be covered since they do make exceptions, and that I can use the VA.

Your eligible for Voc Rehab but not tricare?

Please clarify if I'm missing something.. Are veterans eligible for tricare? I thought it was (generally speaking) limited to active duty, reserve/guard, and retirees.

As a veteran I'm unaware of being eligible (if I am). I've only been using the VA.

As for my schools exceptions...Tricare related to those in HSCP, Tricare for those who purchase while in HPSP I believe, or anyone in the reserve and purchases tricare. While VA is not insurance, my school also makes the exception of requested since they will provide care at the VA, or elsewhere for emergency care.

Well, I guess it depends on if you had a rating from the military branch when you got out. When I left, if you had 20% or greater from your actual branch you retired and got tricare. I guess I made the leap that if you were in ch 31 you had a branch rating of at least 20%.

Please clarify if I'm missing something.. Are veterans eligible for tricare? I thought it was (generally speaking) limited to active duty, reserve/guard, and retirees.

As a veteran I'm unaware of being eligible (if I am). I've only been using the VA.

As for my schools exceptions...Tricare related to those in HSCP, Tricare for those who purchase while in HPSP I believe, or anyone in the reserve and purchases tricare. While VA is not insurance, my school also makes the exception of requested since they will provide care at the VA, or elsewhere for emergency care.

I've used the VA for three years for health insurance. My school has never had an issue with it. It's health care. If you have to go outside the VA for emergency care, they will cover it. I can't say I have ever tested it, but the VA did send me a letter in the mail saying I was I covered healthcare wise in the eyes of the ACA due to VA eligibility.

The VA will cover outside healthcare. I'm third generation Army and both my dad and grandfather were not branch rated but were covered by the VA and both had to be admitted to private hospitals for emergency conditions and the VA picked up the tab.

I wanted to share my Voc Rehab story.
A bit about me: I am a Navy vet, with a rating of 70%. I have a double major in biology and chemistry. None of my injuries inhibit my ability to do the job as physician. I used all but 5 months of my 9/11 GI Bill for undergrad.
My counselor pretty much tried everything to justify NOT approving my program. He was kind of a douche to be honest.

When I went into the office for my appointment, I dressed professional, had my letter of acceptance, had all of the other work completed (Test, forms, etc. They tell you what to bring on your appointment.)
When I met with the counselor, I said, specifically, that my desired job was Physician. He looked at me and laughed, and said he wanted to be “president” but we may not always get the opportunity to do so. Then he took my forms, and reviewed it, and stated, “Wow… you want us to pay for medical school.
He looked at me and said, “What makes you feel you’re qualified to get into medical school.”

I handed him my acceptance letter, and said, “Because I’ve already been accepted.”

He looked at the paper, read it several times, then looked up, “In 15 years, I’ve never had someone come in with an acceptance letter to medical school.”

Me: “There’s a first time for everything sir.”

He said that he needed supervisor approval due to the expensive nature of the request and that he’d get back to me. Later, he requested via email the COA, the match rate of the school, accreditation, testing required, earning potential of physicians, documentation of attendance days, and a bunch of other minutiae. I compiled all of it within a timely manner and had the school draft up a letter showing the COA (cause it hadn’t been released yet) as well as attendance days (for the entirety of the 4 years I’ll be there.)

One month after my initial appointment, I was called into the office and told that I had received full Voc Rehab Chap 31 benefits – Tuition, books, fees, tools, etc. And the GI bill stipend (E5 w dependents).
Lessons learned:
Have your ducks in a row. Have that acceptance letter. Be prepared for a hassle, but if you do your job you won’t have to appeal!

Reactions: 4 users
I wanted to share my Voc Rehab story.
A bit about me: I am a Navy vet, with a rating of 70%. I have a double major in biology and chemistry. None of my injuries inhibit my ability to do the job as physician. I used all but 5 months of my 9/11 GI Bill for undergrad.
My counselor pretty much tried everything to justify NOT approving my program. He was kind of a douche to be honest.

When I went into the office for my appointment, I dressed professional, had my letter of acceptance, had all of the other work completed (Test, forms, etc. They tell you what to bring on your appointment.)
When I met with the counselor, I said, specifically, that my desired job was Physician. He looked at me and laughed, and said he wanted to be “president” but we may not always get the opportunity to do so. Then he took my forms, and reviewed it, and stated, “Wow… you want us to pay for medical school.
He looked at me and said, “What makes you feel you’re qualified to get into medical school.”

I handed him my acceptance letter, and said, “Because I’ve already been accepted.”

He looked at the paper, read it several times, then looked up, “In 15 years, I’ve never had someone come in with an acceptance letter to medical school.”

Me: “There’s a first time for everything sir.”

He said that he needed supervisor approval due to the expensive nature of the request and that he’d get back to me. Later, he requested via email the COA, the match rate of the school, accreditation, testing required, earning potential of physicians, documentation of attendance days, and a bunch of other minutiae. I compiled all of it within a timely manner and had the school draft up a letter showing the COA (cause it hadn’t been released yet) as well as attendance days (for the entirety of the 4 years I’ll be there.)

One month after my initial appointment, I was called into the office and told that I had received full Voc Rehab Chap 31 benefits – Tuition, books, fees, tools, etc. And the GI bill stipend (E5 w dependents).
Lessons learned:
Have your ducks in a row. Have that acceptance letter. Be prepared for a hassle, but if you do your job you won’t have to appeal!

Congratulations. How much is the tuition of your school per semester? Frontline VRC's can approve up to 25K per semester without supervisor approval, so I'm curious if he was just blowing smoke or if he was citing a legitimate policy. The first level supervisor can approve up to 50k per semester and anything over that needs to be approved by the regional director.

52k. per annum.

He stated he needed "supervisor approval" to "extend education benefits."

For me, I'm just like "Do what you gotta do, just get it done."

Congratulations. How much is the tuition of your school per semester? Frontline VRC's can approve up to 25K per semester without supervisor approval, so I'm curious if he was just blowing smoke or if he was citing a legitimate policy. The first level supervisor can approve up to 50k per semester and anything over that needs to be approved by the regional director.

Mine had to do the same thing. She was much less of ahole though. I also was already in medical school so that also helped a bit. But I still think their some definite variability when it comes the VRC's in helpfulness. That's why it's important to know your rights and elevate if necessary.

That is true. My VR counselor told me the same thing, saying that she had to get her officer's approval due to the expensive cost of my program. My program cost is about 54K per year in tuition. As of last week Friday, I was finally approved by the VR for medical school.

Reactions: 2 users
caveat:

the statement of understanding I just signed had language to this effect: If you take the CH 31 bah rate, you get to keep your ch 33 months of entitlement (yay!). If you elect for the higher ch 33 bah rate (with ch 31) you can only do so for the length of CH 33 eligibility remaining, effectively using up the benefit (half yay).

No, this is not true. I just signed a statement saying that I can't concurrently use the post 9/11 and Voc Rehab at the same time despite Voc Rehab giving me the post 9/11 BAH rate. Yes, post 9/11 BAH for residency looks very real right now.

Reactions: 2 users
No, this is not true. I just signed a statement saying that I can't concurrently use the post 9/11 and Voc Rehab at the same time despite Voc Rehab giving me the post 9/11 BAH rate. Yes, post 9/11 BAH for residency looks very real right now.
Seconded, Ch31 doesn't affect your Ch33 benefits even if you take the post 9/11 BAH. I still can't believe we get BAH during residency! (for those who have post 9/11 month remaining)

That sucks that it gets reduced periodically, though. Has anyone thought about NOT using it for residency, but rather any sort of master's while in practice, or for a masters while in residency? I know time will be limited, but getting additional education and the full stipend for the duration seems worth it to me.

Hey gents, not trying to thread jack here but I do have a question that's somewhat relatable, and you guys seem to have a lot of experience. For those of us that have yet to finish undergrad, and do have compensation of 20% or more, do you think it's best to use post 9/11 undergrad and attempt at getting ch 31 for med school etc. or vice versa? I only have 10 years left to use my 33 and 42 months. I feel like I should go ahead and use up ch 33 and attempt at 31 if I get accepted to med school. But at the same time it seems it would be less of a hassle to use ch 31 for undergrad and use 33 for med school as I wouldn't have to convince a counselor on "why" they should pay for it. Not sure what the political climate would look like by then and who knows of the changes that may come down in that time for veterans and schooling/work program's. I realize time isn't working for me here as I've wasted some of it. I'd have to get it done right on schedule for ch 33. Sorry again if this is kind of a thread jack, I don't post here much but I'd greatly appreciate anyone's advice.

That sucks that it gets reduced periodically, though. Has anyone thought about NOT using it for residency, but rather any sort of master's while in practice, or for a masters while in residency? I know time will be limited, but getting additional education and the full stipend for the duration seems worth it to me.
https://gibill.custhelp.com/app/ans...-portion-of-a-medical-program-at-an-institute

Not sure if medical residency is coded as OJT or apprenticeship. There are many testimonials of full BAH during residency and/or fellowship.

http://whitecoatinvestor.com/using-...ncy-pay-guest-post-military-physician-series/

Hey gents, not trying to thread jack here but I do have a question that's somewhat relatable, and you guys seem to have a lot of experience. For those of us that have yet to finish undergrad, and do have compensation of 20% or more, do you think it's best to use post 9/11 undergrad and attempt at getting ch 31 for med school etc. or vice versa? I only have 10 years left to use my 33 and 42 months. I feel like I should go ahead and use up ch 33 and attempt at 31 if I get accepted to med school. But at the same time it seems it would be less of a hassle to use ch 31 for undergrad and use 33 for med school as I wouldn't have to convince a counselor on "why" they should pay for it. Not sure what the political climate would look like by then and who knows of the changes that may come down in that time for veterans and schooling/work program's. I realize time isn't working for me here as I've wasted some of it. I'd have to get it done right on schedule for ch 33. Sorry again if this is kind of a thread jack, I don't post here much but I'd greatly appreciate anyone's advice.

1) You can use Ch 31 for both; that's what I did/am doing. I used GI Bill for 2 years (supposed to be one year, but VA rep at the school certified me for the wrong damn benefit, which is a whole other story...), but Voc Rehab for my final year of undergrad and now medical school.
2) Just be clear that you're goal is to become a physician. They cannot tell you what to do, rather can only say yes or no. The key here is to show interest, aptitude, and ability.
- If you're goal is to become a physician, you have a 4.0, a 38 MCAT, they will not [should not] tell you no because you have the interest, aptitude, and ability. However, if you have a 2.5 and a 5 MCAT, while you may show interest, you don't show aptitude or ability, thus you will be denied. In any case, you can always appeal and/or request a new counselor.