dontnonuff

5+ Year Member
Jan 6, 2010
Status
Pre-Health (Field Undecided)
Before I ask you guys the overarching question here's some background information.

I was originally premed. I did an internship with planned parenthood over the summer which got me interested in public health, so I've decided to postpone the medical school plans to pursue my MPH.

Here we:
GPA: 3.38 (agh the insecurity!!)
Major: Neuroscience Biology
Undergraduate institution: University of California
GREs - holy bejesus will be taking them sometime this upcoming summer
ECs:
2 years of research in Alzheimer's
Teaching assistant
EMT
Deaf elementary School tutor
Triathlon team

Right now my top choice is UW in Seattle, but I'm not going to rule out UNC (2nd), berkeley, ucla, yale, columbia, or hopkins ( yea not holding my breath on the last three).

What do you think my chances are?

zmkelchn

patagomate
Oct 31, 2009
Status
Pre-Health (Field Undecided)
Before I ask you guys the overarching question here's some background information.

I was originally premed. I did an internship with planned parenthood over the summer which got me interested in public health, so I've decided to postpone the medical school plans to pursue my MPH.

Here we:
GPA: 3.38 (agh the insecurity!!)
Major: Neuroscience Biology
Undergraduate institution: University of California
GREs - holy bejesus will be taking them sometime this upcoming summer
ECs:
2 years of research in Alzheimer's
Teaching assistant
EMT
Deaf elementary School tutor
Triathlon team

Right now my top choice is UW in Seattle, but I'm not going to rule out UNC (2nd), berkeley, ucla, yale, columbia, or hopkins ( yea not holding my breath on the last three).

What do you think my chances are?

Looks like you have some great public health experience. As long as you do well on your GREs (650Q or higher), I would say you have a great shot. UNC, UW, and JHU are some of the top schools, and I believe JHU is ranked #1 so those programs are going to be very completive. I would apply to 5 or 6 and see what happens. Your community service seems excellent.

I hear you on the insecurity with the GPA. I really don't tell many people what I have ha, dropped majorly in the last few semesters. I am also a Bio major, and planned on going to medical school. However, I'm simply finding I'm not enjoying some of these bio classes as much as I used to, and struggled majorly with OChem II and also got a C in calculus. I'm retaking Ochem because it is a major cause for my drop in GPA, I received a D- my first time though.

Some of these Cs and one D- have pulled my GPA down to a 3.28. With Biochem and another advanced plant class, I don't expect it to go up at all (but luckily not down either). I am retaking OChem II, and if I do well (B or higher), I should be in the high 3.3s or 3.4. Still not good, but my main concern is the drop in GPA my jr. and possibly senior year! I'm really hoping that schools don't think I'm slaking off, but I really am becoming more interested in public health, health policy, and the business side of healthcare (may be doing a dual MPH/MBA or MHA) if I get in. Aside from taking OChem over, I will be taking microecon, stats, environmental awareness, and potentially an intro to business. I'm taking some business/econ/stats because I would like to have some background if I do enter into an MPH with a focus in health policy/management or a dual MPH/MBA degree.

The main positive I have backing up my low GPA and my string of upper level Cs is I am directing a Books for International Development organization. With this program, I along with a professor organize and ship containers of books to underdeveloped countires. We work directly with the United Nations and the World Health Organization, and they usually pay for the shipments. Additionally, I directed a medical relief program, sending medical supplies and water to Haiti after the earthquake. I have hundreds of hours of volunteer and directing experience here.

Additionally, I also am involved in a cancer research project, and am currently doing independent study in cancer biosensor development. I also participate in NCAA division two track and cross country, earning scholar athlete and All-Academic All American Awards. I could include some miscellaneous leadership positions as well, such as serving as a Resident Assistant for 1.5 years.

Could anyone give me some sort of insight as to what my chances would be at schools such as Columbia, Yale, UNC, ect. I will probably be applying to some good, but not extremely high rated school such as UPitt, Drexel, Temple, and perhaps some of the schools in the western states. My main concern is my low overall gpa, and especially my drop in GPA in the upper divisions. I will be applying with a few Cs, some Ws, etc. which I am embarrassed to have to put that on my app. As I said, it's not a lack of motivation, but my interests have changed a bit. Doing all of this international work has inspired me to go into public health. I'm hoping to incorporate this with my interest in business and policy.

Thanks!