Veterans, the GI Bill (Ch 30 and 33/ Post-9/11), and Veteran Readiness/Vocational Rehabilitation (Ch 31/VRE)

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.
You should try to get med school approved now. Ch. 31's main goal is entry level employment and it's one hell of a sell to try and say "I just completed a degree but I'm unemployable for basic work with that degree so I need to go to medical school." It's a lot easier to sell that you have no degree now and you have the aptitude and interest to be a doctor and your SCD is in line with practicing medicine. Then "entry level" employment requires an MD/DO degree.

So to clarify, your suggestion is to apply for voc rehab before acceptance into med school?
Musicdoc: you say that you can't get voc rehab to pay for med school without being accepted.

So what's the best course of action? I'm going in today for my follow-up on their suggested "bachelor" route, but I'm taking in everything for med school. I'm going to tell her that I don't agree with her decision and would like her to strongly reconsider. I will have a degree plan/audit and all the "bachelor" info she gave me..but with the med school info filled into it. I printed out job outlook and my current job description etc. I'm hoping this works vs filing a formal appeal. But, will she even consider setting me up for med school without having been accepted? I feel like I've heard of plenty of others who got their undergraduate covered, well before entrance to medical school.

Thanks for all the info! You guys/gals are great

Members don't see this ad.

So to clarify, your suggestion is to apply for voc rehab before acceptance into med school?
Musicdoc: you say that you can't get voc rehab to pay for med school without being accepted.

So what's the best course of action? I'm going in today for my follow-up on their suggested "bachelor" route, but I'm taking in everything for med school. I'm going to tell her that I don't agree with her decision and would like her to strongly reconsider. I will have a degree plan/audit and all the "bachelor" info she gave me..but with the med school info filled into it. I printed out job outlook and my current job description etc. I'm hoping this works vs filing a formal appeal. But, will she even consider setting me up for med school without having been accepted? I feel like I've heard of plenty of others who got their undergraduate covered, well before entrance to medical school.

Thanks for all the info! You guys/gals are great

I don't think you HAVE to be accepted, but it gives you a much stronger case

Sent from my iPhone using SDN mobile

Reactions: 1 user
So I just finished my appt. Here's the summary:
I showed her my research and expressed how being a physician was my goal and the only thing that fit my interests. Her response was consistent: "we do not do graduate programs" "we can't do MD programs" "our guidelines allow us to cover associate, bachelor, and certificate programs" "this is meant for entry level employment " etc. I pried and prodded and got nothing. I mentioned other med students receiving benefits (the people on this board) and her response was a combination of above and "i can't tell you why another counselor did what they did, I can only tell you what I can do" I said "well obviously it is allowed/possible because other students are using it, yet you keep saying it can't be done" and..well..read above. She says that no veteran out of this regional office (Muskogee, OK) are receiving doctorate level benefits.

Anyone mind sharing which regional office they are getting their coverage from?

Anyone have advice as to where to go from here?

Members don't see this ad :)

I don't recall saying that because that's not necessarily the case. It's just easier if you have one. If I did say that, please point me to which post so I can edit because it was then mistyped! If it was a suggestion rather than a statement, I can understand where there would be some confusion!

So I just finished my appt. Here's the summary:
I showed her my research and expressed how being a physician was my goal and the only thing that fit my interests. Her response was consistent: "we do not do graduate programs" "we can't do MD programs" "our guidelines allow us to cover associate, bachelor, and certificate programs" "this is meant for entry level employment " etc. I pried and prodded and got nothing. I mentioned other med students receiving benefits (the people on this board) and her response was a combination of above and "i can't tell you why another counselor did what they did, I can only tell you what I can do" I said "well obviously it is allowed/possible because other students are using it, yet you keep saying it can't be done" and..well..read above. She says that no veteran out of this regional office (Muskogee, OK) are receiving doctorate level benefits.

Anyone mind sharing which regional office they are getting their coverage from?

Anyone have advice as to where to go from here?

I got mine through the St. Petersburg regional office. Go up the chain of command. How you do that specifically? I'm not sure, but perhaps some other posters can give you some more details if they've had to do it.

Last edited:
@LadyLazarus

Take it when you're comfortable and confident. If that means waiting, wait. If that means now, take it now. If you're ready right now while coursework is fresh, you don't want to wait excessively long while letting that info diminish or burn you out from studying/trying to retain it for a long exam. If you're not ready yet/want to take a prep course/etc, wait/do so. Can't get voc rehab to pay for med school if you're not accepted, and the MCAT plays a big role whereas the VA plays no role. It may be only good for 2-3 years (maybe 5 for some school), but if you take while ready (assuming now), you'll still get 1-2 application cycles (hopefully only needing 1) before needing to retake it, or more cycles for some particular schools.

Hope this helps. If you have any more specific questions, feel free to message me.

Maybe I mistook what you said?

I thought about just asking a regional office that I know someone used and simply ask them "is it possible?" That would at least clarify it for me..regardless if they could directly help me or not.
I really hope this doesn't require legal help. I suppose I'll just climb the chain until I get somewhere? I hate to because I feel like, at that point, I'm just begging for something I don't deserve. Maybe I just have a poor counselor.

I'm out of the Fort Worth office, and my home region is WACO. Your VRC is full of the stuff we will be dis-impacting from elderly patients in a few years :rolleyes: I know of another guy who uses my VRC who was approved for undergrad plus PA school and just started PA school last year. She is correct that entry level employment is the goal of Ch. 31 but entry level employment can be anything from a certificate to a terminal degree if needed. For the occupational goal of physician, entry level employment requires an MD or DO, both of which first require a bachelors. Request a new VRC or go up the chain. Med school is possible and be sure to join the chapter 31 FB group, as there are lots of heavy hitters there who have taken on VRC's and opened a can of Texas Whoop *** on them until they got what they wanted :D It's honestly the best resource you can find for Ch 31 help.

Reactions: 2 users
I'm out of the Fort Worth office, and my home region is WACO. Your VRC is full of the stuff we will be dis-impacting from elderly patients in a few years :rolleyes: I know of another guy who uses my VRC who was approved for undergrad plus PA school and just started PA school last year. She is correct that entry level employment is the goal of Ch. 31 but entry level employment can be anything from a certificate to a terminal degree if needed. For the occupational goal of physician, entry level employment requires an MD or DO, both of which first require a bachelors. Request a new VRC or go up the chain. Med school is possible and be sure to join the chapter 31 FB group, as there are lots of heavy hitters there who have taken on VRC's and opened a can of Texas Whoop *** on them until they got what they wanted :D It's honestly the best resource you can find for Ch 31 help.

Yeah, I am a part of that group. I should probably utilize it some more. Well, I'm glad to hear your VRC is helping people out with that. I wonder if it's possible to receive assistance from a distant VRC?

Yeah, I am a part of that group. I should probably utilize it some more. Well, I'm glad to hear your VRC is helping people out with that. I wonder if it's possible to receive assistance from a distant VRC?

That could be tough because it's based on your address in the VA system from which you applied, or the school you currently attend (if using a different address). There may be others at the office, or you could find where there is another office in a distance you're willing to drive and maybe get that to work? Definitely challenge this though and appeal. As @esob said, put the request in for a new VRC or move up the chain. I had med school approved as an undergrad. I even had it changed from a master program I was going to matriculate into due to a change of interest and a personal matter, but it can be done, and is being done by quite a few currently.

One thing to note, she may have been telling the truth in that she can't approve med school for you because if you're not SEH or have already used some GI Bill, you may need more than the total allotted 48 months. This doesn't mean it can't happen, but you would need an SEH or to be approved by the supervisor, hence the recommendation to go up the chain of command if she won't do it on her own.

As far as I understand, the VRC's are split by the schools they serve. My initial appt was based on where I live but then they wanted to transfer me to a different VRC who services my school but you can put in a formal request to keep your file with that VRC, which is what I did.

Sorry if this has been asked already, but how much does being a veteran help on your med school application?

Some people have been telling me it doesn't mean squat, while others are saying it'll put me near the top of the list...

Sorry if this has been asked already, but how much does being a veteran help on your med school application?

Some people have been telling me it doesn't mean squat, while others are saying it'll put me near the top of the list...

I think it depends on the school and your overall app. If you have crappy grades and aren't competitive otherwise, being a veteran will not get you in. Also, having stellar grades and not being a veteran won't have them skip your app. Being a veteran helps most regarding discipline and life experience that can potentially help an app/give you an interesting story for a PS, and something to talk about during an interview other than research and grades, which can make you stand out. It also somewhat depends on who is reviewing your application/which kind of ties into the school.

Some schools explicitly say all apps are equal/no preference, and some schools even state (mostly state schools) that they favor in-state, vets, minorities, etc.

Use it to your advantage, but don't count on it.

Members don't see this ad :)
how much does being a veteran help on your med school application? Some people have been telling me it doesn't mean squat, while others are saying it'll put me near the top of the list...
Short answer: it depends on the school.

A veteran friend who interviewed at all 10 schools in TX said military experience was pretty much all they asked him about during interviews, with the exception of Dell and the MMI.

It will be talked about quite a lot. Just finished my residency interviews and it came up in pretty much all of them. For some of them, it was the main focus. Of course I came straight out of the military to medical school so it was a bit more recent than some applicants.

Reactions: 1 users
It will be talked about quite a lot. Just finished my residency interviews and it came up in pretty much all of them. For some of them, it was the main focus. Of course I came straight out of the military to medical school so it was a bit more recent than some applicants.

Nice. What specialty are you aiming for?

I have a question about voc rehab.

If I'm currently majoring in a program that GIVES me a job certification when I graduate (B.S. med lab science, you test as a MLS w/the American Society for Clinical Pathology at the end), is it likely they wouldn't approve med school, even if I'm also doing pre-med with this degree? (I genuinely like the degree program curriculum and I do well in it... I just don't want MLS to be my end goal as a career.)

If I'm currently majoring in a program that GIVES me a job certification when I graduate (B.S. med lab science, you test as a MLS w/the American Society for Clinical Pathology at the end), is it likely they wouldn't approve med school, even if I'm also doing pre-med with this degree? (I genuinely like the degree program curriculum and I do well in it... I just don't want MLS to be my end goal as a career.)

Are you using Voc Rehab for your current program? I already had a BA when I signed up for Voc Rehab, which makes the process substantially easier bc they can't pull the other entry job bs on me.

Explain it in a different light without mention or emphasis on the cert at the end. Say that you're pre-med track and taking the pre-reqs within this degree plan with intent of applying to med school. Remember, part of voc rehab is within your interest. If your career interest is that of a physician, not MLS, then it should be attainable. For instance, studying bio to go to med school would not mean [to voc rehab] that you intend to be a biologist, rather it's a related degree that allows you to complete the pre-reqs. They cannot dictate your goal within reason. If you have the grades as of now, and are in line to apply, there shouldn't be much holding them back from an approval. Hope this helps.

Has anyone in here used the Post-911 bill for dental school? If so, were you able to get books and instruments/materials to be added to the tuition so that it may be covered? I have the post-911 (and will also be trying to get voc rehab (ch 31)) and have seen that instruments/materials seems to be a separate charge on every school's cost of attendance, and its about 10k. I am hoping that the 911 bill will cover it and would appreciate hearing any experiences anyone may have had with it.

Also, anyone who is using or has used voc rehab: does it matter if you're married to someone who makes a good salary? Thanks fellas.

Has anyone in here used the Post-911 bill for dental school? If so, were you able to get books and instruments/materials to be added to the tuition so that it may be covered? I have the post-911 (and will also be trying to get voc rehab (ch 31)) and have seen that instruments/materials seems to be a separate charge on every school's cost of attendance, and its about 10k. I am hoping that the 911 bill will cover it and would appreciate hearing any experiences anyone may have had with it.

Also, anyone who is using or has used voc rehab: does it matter if you're married to someone who makes a good salary? Thanks fellas.

Under post 9/11, there's a limit to instruments/book/equipment. However, for Chapter 31, it's limitless. My medical equipment and books cost about $2.5K a year, which are fully paid for by Voc Rehab.

Under post 9/11, there's a limit to instruments/book/equipment. However, for Chapter 31, it's limitless. My medical equipment and books cost about $2.5K a year, which are fully paid for by Voc Rehab.
Does Voc Rehab help out if you need to buy a computer for school and do you also get health coverage through it? Sorry for the laundry list, but I am applying for voc rehab but don't know anyone who has actually received it.

Can't speak for the MD side but I know it was brought up as a definite positive at each dental school I interviewed at.

Does Voc Rehab help out if you need to buy a computer for school and do you also get health coverage through it? Sorry for the laundry list, but I am applying for voc rehab but don't know anyone who has actually received it.

Voc Rehab will pay whatever the school charges the VA, including books, equipment, tuition, health insurance, and gym membership. They also paid for my MacBook Pro, which needs to be filed separately.

The ideal scenario is to petition them for what you need and have them buy it; it will be slower that way but you will be sure not to spend any money out of pocket.

The ideal scenario is to petition them for what you need and have them buy it; it will be slower that way but you will be sure not to spend any money out of pocket.
Good to know. Hopefully I will be approved for Voc Rehab, but no way to tell at this point.

If you are not already a member, I highly suggest joining the "Chapter 31, Voc Rehab Discussion" group on Facebook. It's the best resource to get fast answers, forms and advice dealing with Ch. 31. Currently there is over 1k active members.

The only caveat I've come across with health insurance is a mix of counselor-dependent input and what the school requires. My school requires health insurance, but allows a waiver for "veteran's insurance" aka VA healthcare. Because of this (even those they have an otherwise-required health insurance policy), I have to utilize the VA while in school. Nevertheless, I don't have to pay for it, but for where I am located, it is a little inconvenient at times.

@68PGunner you got a gym membership with 31? How'd you swing that? haha.

The only caveat I've come across with health insurance is a mix of counselor-dependent input and what the school requires. My school requires health insurance, but allows a waiver for "veteran's insurance" aka VA healthcare. Because of this (even those they have an otherwise-required health insurance policy), I have to utilize the VA while in school. Nevertheless, I don't have to pay for it, but for where I am located, it is a little inconvenient at times.

@68PGunner you got a gym membership with 31? How'd you swing that? haha.

Beat me... My school just billed the VA the entire COA package. My gym membership was in there.

Not the case. The GC opinion and law says 48 months combined regardless of the order. Here it is

48-Month Rule with Chapter 31 A policy advisory was issued in December, 2015, regarding the use of educational assistance and vocational rehabilitation (chapter 31). It was determined that benefits collected under chapter 31 would not limit the use of education benefits (chapters 30, 33, 35, 1606, 1607), but that use of education benefits could limit the number of months of assistance to which a veteran with a service-connected disability may be entitled under chapter 31.

An advisory released on September 21, 2016 overturns this decision. Processors have been informed that, effective immediately, they must count chapter 31 entitlement usage when determining entitlement for other VA education benefit programs. Individuals eligible for multiple benefits may receive no more than 48 months of combined benefits.

(this is copied from the CH31 fb page)

Unless someone's going to take it from me later, my GI Bill has been unaffected by my chapter 31 usage. I still have the same amount that I started voc rehab with.

Not the case. The GC opinion and law says 48 months combined regardless of the order. Here it is

48-Month Rule with Chapter 31 A policy advisory was issued in December, 2015, regarding the use of educational assistance and vocational rehabilitation (chapter 31). It was determined that benefits collected under chapter 31 would not limit the use of education benefits (chapters 30, 33, 35, 1606, 1607), but that use of education benefits could limit the number of months of assistance to which a veteran with a service-connected disability may be entitled under chapter 31.

An advisory released on September 21, 2016 overturns this decision. Processors have been informed that, effective immediately, they must count chapter 31 entitlement usage when determining entitlement for other VA education benefit programs. Individuals eligible for multiple benefits may receive no more than 48 months of combined benefits.

(this is copied from the CH31 fb page)

Unless someone's going to take it from me later, my GI Bill has been unaffected by my chapter 31 usage. I still have the same amount that I started voc rehab with.

Mine, just like @xffan624 has remained unchanged. I'm aware of that now, so I'll edit soon... however... is there any wording/documentation that says we'd be grandfathered in if we've been on voc rehab since that initial change prior to overturning? @xishen @xffan624

I hope we can keep it as well. I only have 6 months left of it, but it will definitely come in useful during residency. Especially if I go to a tuition based program.

Actually, I was hoping someone can answer this. Let's say I do go to an expensive tuition based PG program (dental is different, not all our residencies are funded programs). Would it be possible to only be certified for 2 months a year for 3 years? This way I would max out the annual tuition benefits (for a private school) as well as yellow ribbon. I would do my best to get by on disability and only 2 months of MHA a year, and avoid tuition debt.
Anyone know? Thanks guys!

I am unable to find the official literature itself. But will continue to do so. Meanwhile, I will try to raise this question on the fb page. there are some mid level case worker/counselors on that page, and maybe Ben Krause can chime in on this.

Thanks, keep us updated if you find anything out regarding being grandfathered in, etc.

I don't know if answers your question, but it doesn't directly deal with whether "grandfathering" would even be applicable since it's an "enforcement" change, not a policy change? maybe ask your VRC? but if your VRE can cover your Med school, why would it be necessary? (I see above post talking about some tuition based residency, I guess in that case it makes sense).

I plan on trying to use my GI bill during residency. It will cover a living stipend and some book benefits too. According to ebenefits, I still have 26 months left so I will continue to use it 'til someone tells me I can't.

I plan on trying to use my GI bill during residency. It will cover a living stipend and some book benefits too. According to ebenefits, I still have 26 months left so I will continue to use it 'til someone tells me I can't.

How many months of benefits does medical school really burn? I'm curious in order to plan myself financially around this 48 combined month rule.

How many months of benefits does medical school really burn? I'm curious in order to plan myself financially around this 48 combined month rule.
Depends on the school. But I did about 9 1/2 months in the first year. I switched to voc rehab in the second year, but I'd say at least 8 months in the second. Third year is about 11-12 months as it doesn't really end. Fourth year is the same. So doing the math, at a minimum, 39-40 months.

And, I was hoping to still have it because I was planning on a masters degree or using during residency for the BAH.

But doesnt the next section

(b)
No person may receive assistance under chapter 31 of this title in combination with assistance under any of the provisions of law cited in subsection (a) of this section in excess of 48 months (or the part-time equivalent thereof) unless the Secretary determines that additional months of benefits under chapter 31 of this title are necessary to accomplish the purposes of a rehabilitation program (as defined in section 3101(5) of this title) in the individual case.

Actually state that the Additional Months needed after the 48 Months can be deemed required to "Accomplish the Purpose of a rehabilitation program in the individual case" and thus authorized.... Who exactly is the Secretary they mention?

But doesnt the next section

(b)
No person may receive assistance under chapter 31 of this title in combination with assistance under any of the provisions of law cited in subsection (a) of this section in excess of 48 months (or the part-time equivalent thereof) unless the Secretary determines that additional months of benefits under chapter 31 of this title are necessary to accomplish the purposes of a rehabilitation program (as defined in section 3101(5) of this title) in the individual case.

Actually state that the Additional Months needed after the 48 Months can be deemed required to "Accomplish the Purpose of a rehabilitation program in the individual case" and thus authorized.... Who exactly is the Secretary they mention?

The quote you have for me doesn't pertain to Ch 31, it pertains to Ch 33 in previous anticipation of having some left over after completion of Ch 31 as per the previous posts.

So, I'm not 100% sure what you're alluding to/asking?

To get more than 48 months of benefit, you must have an SEH as per your counselor.

So, I get out of the military in early 2020, and I will have about a year and a half left on my bachelors. I'll probably have about a 20% rating. I'm trying to determine if I should use my MGIB benefits to finish undergrad, and THEN apply for voc rehab for all of med school, or just walk in and ask them to pay for the whole shebang right as I get off active duty.

Does your MGIB completely dissipate after you use voc rehab? I'm trying to determine if I'll be able to transfer my (future) kids any MGIB benefits, or if I'll even have any to transfer to them.

Does anyone have any insight on reporting GI Bill benefits on the CSS PROFILE for financial aid? In some other cases (FAFSA, I believe) you are instructed not to report MHA payments at all. Some subsections of the CSS PROFILE seem like they might require it (SI-160G for example, "Enter the amount of any other untaxed income you received in 2015").

Also, how are we meant to report SR-103, "Enter the amount of veterans' education benefits you expect to receive per month from July 1, 2017 to June 30, 2018." Does this include possible Yellow-Ribbon funds? Does it include MHA funds? If so, how can I answer that before knowing exactly which school I'm attending?

So, I get out of the military in early 2020, and I will have about a year and a half left on my bachelors. I'll probably have about a 20% rating. I'm trying to determine if I should use my MGIB benefits to finish undergrad, and THEN apply for voc rehab for all of med school, or just walk in and ask them to pay for the whole shebang right as I get off active duty.

Does your MGIB completely dissipate after you use voc rehab? I'm trying to determine if I'll be able to transfer my (future) kids any MGIB benefits, or if I'll even have any to transfer to them.

Finishing your bachelors and then applying for voc rehab is a bad idea; you are almost sure to get denied. I would say do it they other way around except that you are looking at 2 years post ETS before you will even see a rating and even be eligible for voc rehab b/c the VA in general sucks at everything (and that's being generous). Unless you are willing to delay the whole medical school process by a couple of years while you wait around for a rating from the VA, you likely won't get to use Ch 31 benefits. You will need to use GI bill to finish your undergrad and then find some other way to pay for medical school unless you incur some serious injury between now and the time you ETS.

Regarding VRE for Med school, there are in general 2 options. 1. apply for "Medical track" when you are still undergrad, this is what the original poster was proposing. it is possible, but not likely, because how do you demonstrate that you WILL get in/have the aptitude? Medical school is not a guarantee (unlike most other professions, where a non-advanced degree in something generally warrants employment, as opposed to in this case, one has to get accepted to a professional school) 2. apply after acceptance. In my mind, there is nothing more solid than an acceptance letter to demonstrate said "aptitude" (knowing also that, getting in a US accredited Med school is pretty much guarantee that you ARE going to be a Physician).

you also contradicted yourself by saying do it the "other way around" when VRE has a pre-requisite of a SC rating, without it, how do you do it the other way around? (because that would imply VRE first).

"Finishing your bachelors and then applying for voc rehab is a bad idea, you will sure get denied", please explain, I believe most people here who are using VRE for Med school did exactly this.

Also, original poster, I have posted the link to the actual law in regards to the "48-max rule". The answer to your question "will I have any left", is no (assuming you are wanting to use VRE for Med school, which typically takes 40 months, as stated by other posters).

1. apply for "Medical track" when you are still undergrad, this is what the original poster was proposing. it is possible, but not likely, because how do you demonstrate that you WILL get in/have the aptitude?
- This is exactly what program I'm on. I also tested off the charts in the aptitude test my VRC gave me and had 90 hrs of coursework @ 3.93 at a highly competitive school. The contract is written for medical doctor but my VRC told me if I don't get in they will change my status to "rehabilitated" and that will be the end, so this track is possible.

2. you also contradicted yourself by saying do it the "other way around" when VRE has a pre-requisite of a SC rating, without it, how do you do it the other way around? (because that would imply VRE first).
- Actually, this is what we were recommending people to do prior to the change in the ruling that Ch 31 didn't take away from GI bill. I misspoke.

3 "Finishing your bachelors and then applying for voc rehab is a bad idea, you will sure get denied", please explain, I believe most people here who are using VRE for Med school did exactly this.

I can't speak to what most others are doing here but I've been a long standing active member of the largest voc rehab group on FB and I've never seen anyone get approved for advanced schooling immediately after graduating from a current UG program in the absence of the determination of an SEH. The only way you could justify it would be to say that your SCD was aggravated during your schooling and that your degree no longer allows you to achieve entry level employment with your SCD, BUT you could be a doctor without aggravating your SCD (which, lets be honest, is like selling ocean front property in Vegas). Everyone I know that has been approved for medical or dental or law school either already had a bachelors prior to their injury (thus justifying the need for retraining) or had an SEH (which the poster clearly doesn't have or he wouldn't still be on active duty).

I would say do it they other way around except that you are looking at 2 years post ETS before you will even see a rating and even be eligible for voc rehab b/c the VA in general sucks at everything (and that's being generous).

I'm confused about this part. My boyfriend recently ETSed from the Army and had a rating within month after terminal leave, and started receiving pay. Is our VA just unusually on top of stuff?

I'm confused about this part. My boyfriend recently ETSed from the Army and had a rating within month after terminal leave, and started receiving pay. Is our VA just unusually on top of stuff?

I've never heard of anyone getting a rating that fast. I know they were trying some fast track program but I thought it was only for severe conditions that were cut and dried (like complete blindness or loss of a limb).

I've never heard of anyone getting a rating that fast. I know they were trying some fast track program but I thought it was only for severe conditions that were cut and dried (like complete blindness or loss of a limb).

Interesting. Actually, now that I think about it, I know he started the claim while still on AD through some kind of quick start program they offered. With any luck, I'll do the same, haha.

Interesting. Actually, now that I think about it, I know he started the claim while still on AD through some kind of quick start program they offered. With any luck, I'll do the same, haha.

If you start it before you leave the military, it's significantly expedited. I turned in my paperwork literally 2 days before my ETS date and got my interview about 2 months later and then my determination 2 months or so after that. Did not have a lost limb or eye, just standard stuff.