Veterans, the GI Bill (Ch 30 and 33/ Post-9/11), and Veteran Readiness/Vocational Rehabilitation (Ch 31/VRE)

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.
It was a Fully Developed Claim most likely. I know of folks who have one all ready to go before they retire, that way they immediately start receiving their benefits.

Members don't see this ad.

Interesting. Actually, now that I think about it, I know he started the claim while still on AD through some kind of quick start program they offered. With any luck, I'll do the same, haha.

I started mine on Active Duty, 1 month before terminal leave/3 months before EAS, and from that it took about 1 year - about 9 months after EAS.

Also, how are we meant to report SR-103, "Enter the amount of veterans' education benefits you expect to receive per month from July 1, 2017 to June 30, 2018." Does this include possible Yellow-Ribbon funds? Does it include MHA funds? If so, how can I answer that before knowing exactly which school I'm attending?

I had this same question regarding SR-103, since the amount will vary wildly depending on the school, Yellow Ribbon support, location, etc. A representative on the phone told me to enter an estimate in the blank, then use the Explanations/Special Circumstances section to elaborate.

Members don't see this ad :)
I had this same question regarding SR-103, since the amount will vary wildly depending on the school, Yellow Ribbon support, location, etc. A representative on the phone told me to enter an estimate in the blank, then use the Explanations/Special Circumstances section to elaborate.

Thanks, I ended up following this advice and made liberal use of the Explanations/Special Circumstances section.

So I've exhausted my Montgomery GI Bill during undergrad (made the most sense with combined benefits from the state I was living in) and have now been approved for 1 year of Post 9/11 GI Bill. I will be going to a private school that does not participate in the Yellow Ribbon Program. I have an honorable discharge without disability, is there any other benefit (other than HPSP or equivalent) to consider or have I pretty much tapped everything out?

How long were you in? Do you have any deployments? I'm trying to figure out if there is any way to get you a disability rating.

There is another HPSP with the VA and also the National Health Service Corps (NHSC) scholarship that I know of. I do not know if the VA HPSP is up and running yet. The NHSC is a 2 for 1 payback, but don't know any more details on that.

Reactions: 1 users
How long were you in? Do you have any deployments? I'm trying to figure out if there is any way to get you a disability rating.

6 years, 2 to Iraq between '06-'08 and Afghanistan in '09. No injuries. I was very fortunate.

Being rated is more than just an injury. Sounds like you got out a while ago so it would be very difficult to get a rating now.
I'm surprised, you were in theater when things were especially dangerous. Glad to hear that you made it through safely.
You may need to use your post 9/11 your first year and loans for the remainder. There are some various little scholarships scattered around also. Try talking to Student Affairs at your school to see if there are any scholarships at the school or if they plan on participating in Yellow Ribbon any time.

Reactions: 1 user
Does anyone have any experience in petitioning their school to sign on with the Yellow Ribbon Program? In the state I will be attending, the school I will be at is the only school not to offer any assistance with this program. Just kind of brainstorming over here.

Sort of, but a little different. At my undergrad, they had yellow ribbon, but they limited how many students would receive it (20 at the time) and it was a small amount ($3-4k at the time). A group of us veterans got together and presented to the president of the university, vice president, dean's of each of the colleges, and director of financial aid, and maybe a few others (about 10 or so people in total). We presented many facets of if they were to increase the amount of aid through YR, increase the number of veteran students who could receive it, and both. It well well-received, and was seemingly going to make way for the following year, however the president ultimately denied it, so it never went through.

Now, with that being for undergrad, I'd assume that it could be similar - contact your VA rep at your school (they should have one since they take the GI Bill), and discuss with them at first, get others involved (other veterans, student veteran club on campus, etc), and come up with a sort of presentation, and send a few emails. Can't hurt if they don't even offer it in the first place, right?

Last edited:
So I've used about 11 months of my Post 9/11 GI Bill benefits. This should mean that I will receive the full benefit for at least the first two years of medical school, including MHA (18 months). I'm assuming that for the third year I'll receive a prorated amount based on the ~7 months of benefit I have left. Is this correct? I've also read (here?) that if you receive any benefit for a school year, you will receive MHA for all 8 months of that school year, even if you don't have a full 9 months of GI Bill tuition benefits for that school year. Taking that into account I assume I'll receive MHA for the first three years of medical school, but my fourth year I will receive no GI Bill benefit, and no MHA. That would also mean that potential differences in Yellow Ribbon funding between schools would make no difference in the fourth year, because if I'm not receiving regular GI Bill benefits for that year I'm naturally not receiving YRP funds. Is any of this off-base?

None of my months were charged. I was approved for the 4 years and I still have the remainder of my post 9/11.

Members don't see this ad :)
None of my months were charged. I was approved for the 4 years and I still have the remainder of my post 9/11.

I'm not sure if you're responding to me. What I mean is I used about 11 months for a post bac. Now I'm about to start medical school, so I'm under the impression I won't be able to use benefits for all four years.

I'm not sure if you're responding to me. What I mean is I used about 11 months for a post bac. Now I'm about to start medical school, so I'm under the impression I won't be able to use benefits for all four years.
You should be able to. I only had 6 months of post 9/11 left and was still approved for all 4 years.

@GnothiSeauton I might have misunderstood what you were asking, but to my best knowledge, (regarding your 3rd year in your case), you'd receive tuition for the whole semester for which you even have 1 day of entitlement remaining during, but am unsure of the MHA. Regarding your 4th year, you mentioned something with Yellow Ribbon. If GI Bill is up and done, you no longer qualify for yellow-ribbon as it is utilized specifically with the Post-9/11 GI Bill, so you would not have anything for 4th year unless you apply for Voc Rehab (and get accepted to it) or apply to some sort of program/receive a scholarship. Hope this helps in some way, but I may have misread what you were actually asking.

@GnothiSeauton I might have misunderstood what you were asking, but to my best knowledge, (regarding your 3rd year in your case), you'd receive tuition for the whole semester for which you even have 1 day of entitlement remaining during, but am unsure of the MHA. Regarding your 4th year, you mentioned something with Yellow Ribbon. If GI Bill is up and done, you no longer qualify for yellow-ribbon as it is utilized specifically with the Post-9/11 GI Bill, so you would not have anything for 4th year unless you apply for Voc Rehab (and get accepted to it) or apply to some sort of program/receive a scholarship. Hope this helps in some way, but I may have misread what you were actually asking.

That's exactly what I meant, thank you! It sounds like I should be able to get full tuition for my third year, then. And yes, I just wanted to verify that YRP goes along with GI Bill funds, it's not some extra hook-up that participating schools will give you even when your GI Bill has run out. Now I'm interested in exactly what schmoob was approved for. What does it mean to be approved for all four years even when you've used up most of your GI Bill?

GI Bill and Voc Rehab are different chapters. You would not be approved for 4 years of school, only to be stopped midway because you've run out of entitlement. Chances are if approved, you will keep all of your remaining post 9/11 entitlement and you can use it for residency.

GI Bill and Voc Rehab are different chapters. You would not be approved for 4 years of school, only to be stopped midway because you've run out of entitlement. Chances are if approved, you will keep all of your remaining post 9/11 entitlement and you can use it for residency.

I'm not intending to apply for vocational rehab, I'm just continuing to use the Post 9/11 GI Bill after using a portion of it for a postbac.

I'm not intending to apply for vocational rehab, I'm just continuing to use the Post 9/11 GI Bill after using a portion of it for a postbac.
Ahh gotcha.
I recommend trying to get vocrehab. If you qualify, it's the best possible deal.

That's incorrect, they've ruled there was a misinterpretation of the law and we're back to the 48 month "benefits sandwich" which equates to 48 months total educational benefits regardless of what program you are using. If you use 20 months of Ch 31 and quit the program and come back and try to use 9/11, they will deduct the 20 months you used in Ch 31 from your remaining benefits. If you use 24 months of 9/11 and then are approved for Ch 31, they will only approve a track that allows you to finish within the remaining 24 months of entitlement. The only way now to get more than 48 months is via voc rehab with the determination of a SEH.

Reactions: 2 users
I do appreciate all the updated info I get from this thread! Allows me and my family to utilize the best choice(s) available when my ETS date comes...I'll have to pass along the qualifying regulations set for CH 32 to those I know who have recently been medically discharged.

That's incorrect, they've ruled there was a misinterpretation of the law and we're back to the 48 month "benefits sandwich" which equates to 48 months total educational benefits regardless of what program you are using. If you use 20 months of Ch 31 and quit the program and come back and try to use 9/11, they will deduct the 20 months you used in Ch 31 from your remaining benefits. If you use 24 months of 9/11 and then are approved for Ch 31, they will only approve a track that allows you to finish within the remaining 24 months of entitlement. The only way now to get more than 48 months is via voc rehab with the determination of a SEH.
Ok, maybe that's why they approved me. I had 6 months left of post 9/11, but was approved for all 4 years. I'm at 80%. I also show as still having 6 months remaining.

I'm confused after reading this thread.

I was approved for Voc Rehab after using 3 months of post 9/11 during my first semester of med school. So, I have 33 months of benefit remaining according to the e-benefit.

So my question is, will I still be able to use my 33 months of benefit during my residency? Or is that gone now?

Thank you for clarifying my situation.

@esob

I'm confused after reading this thread.

I was approved for Voc Rehab after using 3 months of post 9/11 during my first semester of med school. So, I have 33 months of benefit remaining according to the e-benefit.

So my question is, will I still be able to use my 33 months of benefit during my residency? Or is that gone now?

Thank you for clarifying my situation.

@esob

I'm pretty sure that residency is considered entry level employment, so the voc rehab stipend won't apply. I don't know if 9/11 would cover it but you will have expended your 9/11 benefits eligibility by then (your Ch 31 benefits would have used up all your 9/11)

I'm pretty sure that residency is considered entry level employment, so the voc rehab stipend won't apply. I don't know if 9/11 would cover it but you will have expended your 9/11 benefits eligibility by then (your Ch 31 benefits would have used up all your 9/11)
Is this something that has changed recently? I remember my counselor telling me that my 9/11 benefits won't be affected (or used up) by Ch31. However, if that is the case, what a bummer.

Is this something that has changed recently? I remember my counselor telling me that my 9/11 benefits won't be affected (or used up) by Ch31. However, if that is the case, what a bummer.

My counselor told me the same. All I'm going off of is what I what I read in this thread. Considering I live in a high cost area I'm assuming the worst for residency because if I actually get the stipend for my designated amount during residency I'll be rolling in tax free money. Better to assume less and plan for that. Suggest you do the same, but I will definitely let you know my experiences.

My counselor told me the same. All I'm going off of is what I what I read in this thread. Considering I live in a high cost area I'm assuming the worst for residency because if I actually get the stipend for my designated amount during residency I'll be rolling in tax free money. Better to assume less and plan for that. Suggest you do the same, but I will definitely let you know my experiences.

There was a misinterpretation of the law that was spreading around suggesting that using Voc Rehab won't use up GI Bill, further suggesting that what ever GI Bill you had at the start of Voc Rehab would be there when you stop Voc Rehab. That isi unfortunately not the case. Rather, it is 1 for 1 in both direction. If you have 36 months of GI Bill, and use it, it's gone, but you may get up to an additional 12 months through Voc Rehab if you qualify (extendable depending on SEH and situation/counselor). If you have 48 months of Voc rehab and use it up, both are gone just the same, but again with Voc Rehab being extendable with SEH and it situation-depended.

So so answer the question, if you have 33 months left of GI Bill and switched to voc rehab (thus having 45 months left overall, but still only 33 of GI Bill) - if you use up all 45 months, you have nothing left when you finish. If you use only say 30 months while in Voc Rehab, you'd have 15 months of Voc Rehab left, but only 3 months of potential GI Bill use. Does that make sense? I don't know how far along you are with school, which is why I gave the example as if you only utilized 30 months.

Let me know if that helps at all, and I'll try to be more clear if needed. Gotta get back to reading and studying now though.

There was a misinterpretation of the law that was spreading around suggesting that using Voc Rehab won't use up GI Bill, further suggesting that what ever GI Bill you had at the start of Voc Rehab would be there when you stop Voc Rehab. That isi unfortunately not the case. Rather, it is 1 for 1 in both direction. If you have 36 months of GI Bill, and use it, it's gone, but you may get up to an additional 12 months through Voc Rehab if you qualify (extendable depending on SEH and situation/counselor). If you have 48 months of Voc rehab and use it up, both are gone just the same, but again with Voc Rehab being extendable with SEH and it situation-depended.

So so answer the question, if you have 33 months left of GI Bill and switched to voc rehab (thus having 45 months left overall, but still only 33 of GI Bill) - if you use up all 45 months, you have nothing left when you finish. If you use only say 30 months while in Voc Rehab, you'd have 15 months of Voc Rehab left, but only 3 months of potential GI Bill use. Does that make sense? I don't know how far along you are with school, which is why I gave the example as if you only utilized 30 months.

Let me know if that helps at all, and I'll try to be more clear if needed. Gotta get back to reading and studying now though.

It helps, but I also have the VA website telling me I still have 26 months of GI Bill left. The writing's on the wall when I get approved or denied for residency GI bill benefits. Application was submitted. I will let y'all know.

Here is the bulk of the text:

48-Month Rule with Chapter 31 A policy advisory was issued in December, 2015, regarding the use of educational assistance and vocational rehabilitation (chapter 31). It was determined that benefits collected under chapter 31 would not limit the use of education benefits (chapters 30, 33, 35, 1606, 1607), but that use of education benefits could limit the number of months of assistance to which a veteran with a service-connected disability may be entitled under chapter 31.

An advisory released on September 21, 2016 overturns this decision. Processors have been informed that, effective immediately, they must count chapter 31 entitlement usage when determining entitlement for other VA education benefit programs. Individuals eligible for multiple benefits may receive no more than 48 months of combined benefits,

Reactions: 2 users

Thank you for clearing this up. It would have been nice to get BAH during residency, but I'm not complaining. Free tuition for 4 years of medical school is still better none. Thanks!

Interesting that you all brought this up; I have an update on my case with some interesting info about the 48 month entitlement.
(quick background: denied once due to no SEH and "VR&E not allowing anything beyond a Master's level", I have 8 months and 10 days left after having previously used Post-9/11)
Basically, after being re-evaluated by a different VRC, I was determined to have only an EH not a SEH. He did include some info as to what constitutes a SEH (and yes I've read the literature prior) and it seems so largely dependent on how the VRC interprets your situation. But that is all beside the point at this moment. Now, I figured that would be the end of the road for me, but after I explained what I was there for, what my goals were, and how I planned on getting there, he seemed to just roll with it, not making any mention of it being impossible due to time. He explained that I would have to do some work to show how a proposed career as, say, a Radiologist would not conflict with my current situation (knees) and prove that I could complete everything within 48 months of training time. Now, as time went on (this was a 3.5 hour appointment..), it dawned on me that my original problem was that there was no way I could have completed med school in the allotted 8 months and 10 days. After asking him why I could get 48 months without a SEH, he explained that 48 months is the total entitlement, and yes I had used Post-9/11 time, but he could apply for supervisor approval to get back the 48 months. And anything beyond 48 months would absolutely require a SEH.
Now, I have managed to shift some classes around and prove that I can get exactly all of my undergrad and med school completed within 48 months (school months) exactly - along with all the other paperwork I needed. I am about to submit it. However, now I'm worried that maybe he is off his rocker about the 48 months? Because now that I think about it, I thought the whole point of needing the SEH was to get the 48 months, yet he is saying it is capable with just an EH.

Another possible roadblock: he states that I need to prepare all of this, along with a possible scenario of what I can do with a Bio BS if I am not approved for med school. He says that he will prepare this and send it to his supervisor for approval but warned me that no other doctorate level plan had been approved at their office (and he's been there a while). This makes me think that I'm going to do all of this leg work only to be shot down because of a simple approval. I mean, we know that it's possible to be approved and if I prep everything perfectly it could all come down to one person who isn't likely to sign off on it?

Sorry for the long post.
Thanks for any input.

Hmmm.
There is no other plan. The bio degree was meant to be used to fulfill prerequisite requirements for medical school. I think of you give them a backup plan which is faster and cheaper for them, they will take it in a heartbeat. It sucks hearing about VRC's that don't want to help. They have much more power than they want people to know.

Right so I essentially stated that a bio degree would get me nothing but didn't elaborate for fear of stating something incorrect and coming off like a BSer. I thought about finding some sources for "biology" career fields that would call for a more advanced degree than BS, proving that my plan is for med school and med school only. I don't want to play the game for fear of them say "hey look! you can do this career instead and only have to do undergrad!"

Your VRC may actually be off his rocker with that statement but it actually benefits you that Ch 31, like many other facets of the VA system, has poor oversight and VRC's have wide latitude in making decisions, even if it comes out in the wash in an audit later. As long as they continue to pay the bills, roll with it.

So I need some clarity here: my VRC is requesting three possible career fields. Obviously, all of them include going to medical school and becoming a physician, so I am specifying three specialties that fit the bill. But my question is this: if I say I want to be a Radiologist and I am only given 48 months, then how does residency fall into all of this? Wouldn't VR&E cover only until the end of med school? So then how can they write a plan for me to be a Radiologist if I wouldn't be one until after residency? Is it that I shouldn't state that I want to be a Radiologist; rather, state that I want to become a physician?

So I need some clarity here: my VRC is requesting three possible career fields. Obviously, all of them include going to medical school and becoming a physician, so I am specifying three specialties that fit the bill. But my question is this: if I say I want to be a Radiologist and I am only given 48 months, then how does residency fall into all of this? Wouldn't VR&E cover only until the end of med school? So then how can they write a plan for me to be a Radiologist if I wouldn't be one until after residency? Is it that I shouldn't state that I want to be a Radiologist; rather, state that I want to become a physician?
you'll get paid 50ish,000 per year as a resident. Take whatever they offer if it covers med school and run with it

Pretty much this. My voc rehab covered me through medical school with my employment goal being placed successfully in a residency.

So then wouldn't that mean that I shouldn't/couldn't make radiologist (or any given specialty) as my goal? Since that goal requires residency on top of school?
I'm being so specific because the job title of a "physician" describes a job that would conflict with my disability. But we all know that there's a difference in demands for different specialties. So if I try to be specific and say I want radiology, then that goal requires far far more coverage time.

Pretty much this. My voc rehab covered me through medical school with my employment goal being placed successfully in a residency.
This is helpful though. Maybe I need to specify that my goal is getting into radiology residency. That way the goal timeline is consistent and it is specific to a compatible career.

On my plan, the degree is listed along with becoming a physician.

Residency is employment, and thus once match happens/graduation, the goal is met. You should not have to list "radiologist" or "family physician" or anything of the like, nor would you be obligated to any of those if you listed them for whatever reason. And because it is employment, you won't receive any benefits during residency. Be happy they approved med school.

Residency is employment, and thus once match happens/graduation, the goal is met. You should not have to list "radiologist" or "family physician" or anything of the like, nor would you be obligated to any of those if you listed them for whatever reason. And because it is employment, you won't receive any benefits during residency. Be happy they approved med school.

I'm getting two months of transitional stipend after graduating from medical school. It's nice as my school graduates pretty early so I'm getting pretty broke before residency starts.

I will be very, very pleased if they approve med school..that's the goal. However, if I list "physician" as my goal, then my VRC simply looks at what BLS lists as the physical demands and he determines that it conflicts with my disability (prolonged standing). Whereas, obviously, there isn't a whole lot of that for a Radiologist and some other specialties.

But thanks for the info on residency being employment. I'm going to gather some info on the residency match rates for my local program and run with it that way.

I will be very, very pleased if they approve med school..that's the goal. However, if I list "physician" as my goal, then my VRC simply looks at what BLS lists as the physical demands and he determines that it conflicts with my disability (prolonged standing). Whereas, obviously, there isn't a whole lot of that for a Radiologist and some other specialties.

But thanks for the info on residency being employment. I'm going to gather some info on the residency match rates for my local program and run with it that way.

The only things that really require excessive standing are mainly surgical fields, followed by procedural fields. I have issues with my knees and was still fine - didn't need to explain anything to anyone. If questioned, just mention that you intend to apply to certain fields that won't aggravate your ailments, but no need to make it part of the plan necessarily. However, if thats what your VRC ends up requiring, go for it - but I'd be careful because I don't know the full stipulations on switching your plan without approval (i.e. i don't know what happens if you say you want to be a radiologist on paper for VA but end up being interested in another field such as IM or something to become a cardiologist eventually).

Can you qualify for voc rehab if you are employed? I'm service connected and have the initial consult in a couple weeks.

I would like to go back for a dental specialty certificate, and the private schools charge heavy tuition, far beyond what the GI Bill would cover. I'm currently working as a general dentist since leaving active duty last year, so I'm not sure if this is possible.

You can while being employed, but only to alleviate aggravations or toget gainful employment (I.e. If you were working part time somewhere without potential full time).

Being that you're already a dentist, you're most likely making decent money, and thus gainfully employed, so you'd likely be denied, but no harm in trying. Maybe someone else who's been in something similar can comment.

Just got approved this morning. 4 years of dental school tuition, supplies, fees, licensure exams, and new computer. I'm getting the national flat-rate stipend, with 3 dependents, because I exhausted my gi bill benefits last month. Yusssss!!!

you have to exhaust your Post 9/11 bill in order to apply for Voc Rehab, Right? This is great news!

I'm getting two months of transitional stipend after graduating from medical school. It's nice as my school graduates pretty early so I'm getting pretty broke before residency starts.
How does the transitional stipend work? Is this listed in the original contract? Or can I request this once I'm close to graduating?

How does the transitional stipend work? Is this listed in the original contract? Or can I request this once I'm close to graduating?

Everyone gets 2 months of bah after graduation.

Reactions: 3 users
Does anyone think I'd be able to use Voc Rehab to pay for undergrad (only on my third semester of undergrad) AND med school? or should I finish undergrad first and then apply for Voc Rehab?

Note: I'm still Active Duty right now but I'm going through an MEB. My PCM team expects me to be medically retired. (I easily meet the VSRD criteria for 80% with my condition)