Veterans, the GI Bill (Ch 30 and 33/ Post-9/11), and Veteran Readiness/Vocational Rehabilitation (Ch 31/VRE)

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.
17k is the annual tuition. I struggled a lot with anxiety and depression while working in a metal shop this summer, I stated how I had those symptoms related to PTSD as I didn't feel like I was helping anyone or doing anything meaningful with my life. Told her how helping others through therapy relieves my symptoms as I know that I am making a difference in the world and showed my GPA to prove I will be successful in school. I'm not really sure how else to state it as the VA seems to discriminate against post traumatic stress.
That lady straight up lied to you. She could have approved that level of tuition at her own discretion. I'm sorry you had such a crappy experience.

Members don't see this ad.

That lady straight up lied to you. She could have approved that level of tuition at her own discretion. I'm sorry you had such a crappy experience.
Thanks, Yes I spoke with my local DAV rep who put me in contact with the Texas Workforce commission veteran rep who has experience with helping veterans force Vocrehab to follow the rules of 38 CFR. Meeting tomorrow morning so she can help me word everything right as she agreed that my counselor was blatantly disregarding the rules.

Reactions: 1 user
Alright, everyone, I don't mean to necrobump but this seems like the place to go for VRE advice - if wrong, please direct. About to apply for VRE for med school starting in the fall. Besides the stuff listed above, any advice on my application? I left a previous job because of my rated conditions. I can discuss more specifics via pm if that will help.

Edit: I have about half of my GI Bill remaining, not sure what other info would be pertinent. Ummm... rated at 40%? Not sure what else to say.

Members don't see this ad :)
Alright, everyone, I don't mean to necrobump but this seems like the place to go for VRE advice - if wrong, please direct. About to apply for VRE for med school starting in the fall. Besides the stuff listed above, any advice on my application? I left a previous job because of my rated conditions. I can discuss more specifics via pm if that will help.

Edit: I have about half of my GI Bill remaining, not sure what other info would be pertinent. Ummm... rated at 40%? Not sure what else to say.

As long as you read what's provided in the veteran's benefits ( Veterans' Benefits ) forum, you should have most of the info you need.

Have job descriptions for residency that show that residency is the base employment for physicians, that an MD or DO are minimum requirement for the job. If you have a letter or anything stating that you left due to rated conditions, that's a bonus. Demonstrate how your SCs led to leaving your previous line of work, why you need a change in the line of work, and how becoming a physician will not be affected by your SCs even while affecting you in the other field.

Since you have about half of your GI Bill left, that's quite beneficial (roughly 18 months?). VRE can provide an addition 12 (so 30 months). You would need a 1 year extension, which is less than some others. I have a 2 year extension.....

To get an extension you must have a sever employment handicap (SEH) per your assigned counselor.

Feel free to ask any specific questions you might have, and you're welcome to message me directly if there is any personal information you don't want on the forum.

Also, if you already have an acceptance, that is extremely helpful.

What is your previous line of work and what is your bachelors degree in? Any other degrees?

Reactions: 1 users
Alright, everyone, I don't mean to necrobump but this seems like the place to go for VRE advice - if wrong, please direct.

I wouldn’t be concerned with a necro-bump. This thread has been going on for a few years now.

With the constant changes of our entitlements, it’s definitly important to see the adjustments happening throughout some of these posts (which is why I like the continuum of these comments sort of speak).

Reactions: 2 users
For anyone with experience using the Hazlewood Act to cover medical school tuition hours can you tell me how many hours will actually cover all of the 4 years of tuition? (Is 120 correct?) I ask because I'm trying to calculate the 4 year expense of med school adding all the fees and costs minus tuition since I will be using the HA. The schools don't break it down in hours instead the COA simply states the 1-4 year cost of tuition.

For anyone with experience using the Hazlewood Act to cover medical school tuition hours can you tell me how many hours will actually cover all of the 4 years of tuition? (Is 120 correct?) I ask because I'm trying to calculate the 4 year expense of med school adding all the fees and costs minus tuition since I will be using the HA. The schools don't break it down in hours instead the COA simply states the 1-4 year cost of tuition.

You will likely have to contact the schools individually. It differs by program. I transferred and my first med school had actual credits ranging from 1 to 12 for a given course, averaging 30, give or take, per semester, so about 60 per year. The school I transferred to just lists every course including rotations as 1 credit, so my between my whole 2nd year and the first half of my 3rd year so far, I've "only" taken 17 credits here, but it is the same course work/load.

Hi I am preparing for my 1st meeting w/ my counselor and I briefly spoke to him over the phone and he said recently there has been changes to approving advanced degrees so its more of a challenge than ever. I have been researching and also have Ben Krauses guide and I am not sure if I am being lied to or not.

Also, why do they tell ppl interests dont matter and their job is to put ppl in “entry level” positions? I have looked in the M28 and voc rehab CFR i dont see where it says anything about entry level. I see suitable employment and not entry level. Also, that VR has to evaluate interests, ability and aptitude so why do they say interests dont matter?

Im worried about not having the answers for my case OR knowing I am being told bad information.

Hi I am preparing for my 1st meeting w/ my counselor and I briefly spoke to him over the phone and he said recently there has been changes to approving advanced degrees so its more of a challenge than ever. I have been researching and also have Ben Krauses guide and I am not sure if I am being lied to or not.

Also, why do they tell ppl interests dont matter and their job is to put ppl in “entry level” positions? I have looked in the M28 and voc rehab CFR i dont see where it says anything about entry level. I see suitable employment and not entry level. Also, that VR has to evaluate interests, ability and aptitude so why do they say interests dont matter?

Im worried about not having the answers for my case OR knowing I am being told bad information.

Your being told bad information. What they mean is “interests” don’t matter alone, but it also must include “aptitude” and “ability” (all 3 together).

As far as entry level jobs, to be in a residency (ie physician , specialty care for pharmacists / dentists) is considered an entry level job. You need to get a bachelors before attending dental or medical school and you need those degrees completed to be considered for entry level employment.

As long as you can provide evidence of a severe employment handicap (SEH) and that your current degree or certs aggregate and/or aggravate your conditions, they cannot turn you away. Sadly, many do but you need to be professional and direct with your sources of evidence. I’d even get a doctors note to validate your condition permits you to obtain entry level employment in the field your choosing.

If they said recent changes, have your VRC source it to you in an email and see what they come up with. If you have Krause’s book that’ll get you a foot in the door as well

I have my orientation Monday. Super nervous. Trying to be as prepared as possible, but I have heard the same thing about it harder to get longer degrees / advanced degrees approved. Really nervous. Is it worth getting that guys guide?

I have my orientation Monday. Super nervous. Trying to be as prepared as possible, but I have heard the same thing about it harder to get longer degrees / advanced degrees approved. Really nervous. Is it worth getting that guys guide?

Personally (and not advertising but merely speaking of my own opinion), if you are a member of his facebook group, a majority of responses on that page coupled with some links we have on some of these threads should suffice (I mean, its free information). However, if you lack the confidence and background to understand certain titles and CFR regulations that cover you as the veteran and how to provide evidence of a strong SEH, then I would recommend some people to purchase the guide if your in a short time slot...In the end though, you can get a majority of his info for free with some search.

If your asking if the guide will secure a confirmation of your Chapter 31 benefits, I'd give a stern "no." Unfortunately, that'll take some professionalism, confidence in your rights, and proof (ie transcripts, doctors notes, acceptance letters, etc) and dependability of the mood your Voc-Rehab Counselor is in that day...

Yeah, not asking for confirmation - we'll see after a while. Just want to be as well prepared as I possibly can be. Not really on facebook - worth checking out the page, though?

Last edited:
Members don't see this ad :)
Yeah, not asking for confirmation - we'll see after a while. Just want to be as well prepared as I possibly can be. Not really on facebook - worth checking out the page, though?

I’d at least give it a look. Once in awhile Krause does a live questionnaire for people. Some trolls post (but some info is good to read).

Never hurts to look and I think users could benefit from it

Search within the group things that may be related to you like “law school, SEH”. Ppl also post about their experience at specific offices so w/n the group search the cities office you plan on applying. Some offices are worse than others.

Your being told bad information. What they mean is “interests” don’t matter alone, but it also must include “aptitude” and “ability” (all 3 together).

As far as entry level jobs, to be in a residency (ie physician , specialty care for pharmacists / dentists) is considered an entry level job. You need to get a bachelors before attending dental or medical school and you need those degrees completed to be considered for entry level employment.

As long as you can provide evidence of a severe employment handicap (SEH) and that your current degree or certs aggregate and/or aggravate your conditions, they cannot turn you away. Sadly, many do but you need to be professional and direct with your sources of evidence. I’d even get a doctors note to validate your condition permits you to obtain entry level employment in the field your choosing.

If they said recent changes, have your VRC source it to you in an email and see what they come up with. If you have Krause’s book that’ll get you a foot in the door as well

I already have a bachelors and acceptance to pharm school. I will definitely ask for his sources bc I have combed the M28 and 38 CFR.

Bit of background. I've used 36 months of MGIB and about 6 months of post 9/11. Ive been accepted to and will attend UCF later this year. I have several service connected injuries from numerous kinetic injuries in afgn to include nerve damage, scars, backpain, ptsd, etc. My overall rating is 70%.

I just had my second meeting with my counselor last week. First meeting was relatively positive. I did the paperwork, took the aptitude/interests test and provided my acceptance letter. In that meeting he approved me for voc rehab. He said he needed more time to look over my medical records and scheduled for a second meeting to determine SEH. Me, being an idiot, I thought I was golden and failed to do research on common denial issues.

I showed up and I got a "I've looked over your records and because you don't use drugs, don't have a criminal record, and haven't used government assistance, or are being treated/have been treated for ptsd, you don't have a SEH. I tried to explain that I cannot be employed in my current degree field due to the nerve damage, ptsd, etc. I was met with "I can help find you jobs in your degree area but I know you're not interested in that. If I were accepted to medical school, I'd go too."

When asked what typed of jobs could he find me. He said XYZ, and all were deemed to be unfeasible due to my injuries. He couldn't tell me what I could qualify for and agreed that I couldn't work in my current job because of my injuries. Yet, no SEH. We agreed to schedule a meeting with a supervisor, so time will tell how this works out. I tried to keep this out of the formal appeals process and inhouse so.... well see. I'll update as I go.

As an aside, reading the M28 was terribly easy and I want to choke myself for not preparing. So let this be a lesson to those applying. Section 2.12 of the M28 explains SEH for those reading.

...I showed up and I got a "I've looked over your records and because you don't use drugs, don't have a criminal record, and haven't used government assistance, or are being treated/have been treated for ptsd, you don't have a SEH. I tried to explain that I cannot be employed in my current degree field due to the nerve damage, ptsd, etc. I was met with "I can help find you jobs in your degree area but I know you're not interested in that. If I were accepted to medical school, I'd go too."...
Sorry to hear this, man. I wonder what the reasoning was, here. Is there no SEH because you aren't over 20%? Or are you over 20%? I have two issues, one being the same as yours, and I'm wondering if I will get denied because I am undergoing treatment for it right now. I guess I'll find out Monday...

Sorry to hear this, man. I wonder what the reasoning was, here. Is there no SEH because you aren't over 20%? Or are you over 20%? I have two issues, one being the same as yours, and I'm wondering if I will get denied because I am undergoing treatment for it right now. I guess I'll find out Monday...

I’m 70%. I think they just don’t want to approve higher ed. Was told in the meeting that this was only an employment program, not an education program.

It is what it is though. I’ll take the next steps in contesting the decision and update as I go.

I’m 70%. I think they just don’t want to approve higher ed. Was told in the meeting that this was only an employment program, not an education program.

It is what it is though. I’ll take the next steps in contesting the decision and update as I go.

Well it is an employment program, however they're mis representing it. While it is an employment program, they provide education and training for those who require it for the given field in which they have demonstrated "interest, aptitude, and ability." Thus, higher education may be provided case by case. You have a crappy counselor.

Sorry to hear all of that though. Are you attending school in the same area in which you already live? If not, consider changing your address through ebenefits to match an address where you will be moving and reapply with a new counselor/location/office.

Well it is an employment program, however they're mis representing it. While it is an employment program, they provide education and training for those who require it for the given field in which they have demonstrated "interest, aptitude, and ability." Thus, higher education may be provided case by case. You have a crappy counselor.

Sorry to hear all of that though. Are you attending school in the same area in which you already live? If not, consider changing your address through ebenefits to match an address where you will be moving and reapply with a new counselor/location/office.

We think alike. I’m just going to run this office to it’s end. If it’s still a no then I’ll change the address and begin again.

To the letter, I qualify but there is so much opinion and personality allowed into this process. It’s frustrating but I’ve yet to have a smooth va encounter. So par for the course.

We think alike. I’m just going to run this office to it’s end. If it’s still a no then I’ll change the address and begin again.

To the letter, I qualify but there is so much opinion and personality allowed into this process. It’s frustrating but I’ve yet to have a smooth va encounter. So par for the course.

Just remember that it will take usually around 2 months to get the appointment at the new place, and to be able to apply again, this case must be closed first. If they're not budging, consider not appealing so ensure the case is closed for reapplying.. appeal if denied at new location.

For those reading this thread, I can only encourage you to stay the fight. If you are on the right side of the federal regulations, you have the law on your side and no crappy counselor can supersede it.

Has anyone that has been approved and still in this thread written up a proposal or anything? I was thinking voc rehab expectations, seh proof, a testimonial and additional cfrs/m28 guidances to further prove your case? I wonder if im doing too much

I know this isn't Voc Rehab specific, but I didn't want to make a separate thread - do you guys know what documents a school needs if I want to waive their health insurance (since I've covered by the VA). Thank you!

I know this isn't Voc Rehab specific, but I didn't want to make a separate thread - do you guys know what documents a school needs if I want to waive their health insurance (since I've covered by the VA). Thank you!

With my school I had to access a link and put in the insurance I had then a few days later it was verified and waived. So contact the school. I had to enter in the insurance name, group # and member #

All I had to do was check the "waive" box and fill out the form as if I already had insurance with my VA File number listed as the insurance card # and the group I'm in for the type/coverage.

Hi all,

Does anyone know if Voc Rehab covers medical school applications and associated costs? MCAT fee, AMCAS fee, primaries, secondaries, costs associated with interviews, etc.

I'll be asking my counselor tomorrow, but I'd like to go in with an idea. Thanks in advance.

Hi all,

Does anyone know if Voc Rehab covers medical school applications and associated costs? MCAT fee, AMCAS fee, primaries, secondaries, costs associated with interviews, etc.

I'll be asking my counselor tomorrow, but I'd like to go in with an idea. Thanks in advance.

If approved and is put down in your requirements - outline list of goals to employment then yes.

Typically if you get approved down the road, they will retroactively back-pay you from day one (tuition plus associated costs such as exams and apps).

Very tricky though so go in prepared.

Hi all,

I know they cover licensing exams... its stated in 38 cfr 21.4200.ee and 38 cfr 21.4200.ff and im unsure about the other stuff.

For what it's worth: my counselor approved reimbursement for Step 1, Step 2 CK, Step 2 CS, mask fitting, background checks, and all ERAS fees. It can be done!

Reactions: 4 users
wait, what? GI bill covered Steps? like, post 9/11 GI bill????

No, this overall post is a general comparison of GI Bill to VA Voc Rehab. Any comments with "my counselor" or similar, or "Ch 31" are referring to Voc Rehab, which does cover the exams. GI Bill does not (unless you take into play that you will still get a $1000 stipend each year for the number of credits registered through he school ("for books"), which in turn can be put toward the exams, and averaged through the 4 years equates to coverage).

I am not sure if anyone has been to a private school but i am unsure of how they count the months. They pay 24k a year but for me that would be exhausted in 1 semester so will the whole 8 months of my first year be taken away from my total time? Or will they count the months they actually paid the school?

I am not sure if anyone has been to a private school but i am unsure of how they count the months. They pay 24k a year but for me that would be exhausted in 1 semester so will the whole 8 months of my first year be taken away from my total time? Or will they count the months they actually paid the school?

$24k is the cap. Lets say your school is $30k. The first semester takes away about 4 months and pays for the first 15k (since 30k is for the year in this example, then 15k per semester). IF you enroll with the GI Bill in the spring, it will will cover up to 24k, so 24 - the 15k already used = 9k. The spring semester will leave you having to pay $6k. IF you do not choose to enroll with the GI Bill in the spring, in this example, you'd have to pay the whole $15k that remains. By enrolling, even though there will be some tuition left to be paid, you will still receive the book stipend and BAH. If you choose to not enroll with the GI Bill for the semester, you don't receive anything.

Even though there is a cap, and thus the whole tuition is not being pay, you're still going to be enrolled full time, so for the whole year - fall and spring, yes, the full 8 months will be utilized.

IF your school is lets say $50k, then the $24k is utilized all in the first semester (which is what it seems you typed if I didn't misread it) - in which you'd pay out of pocket $1k. IF you use the GI Bill the spring semester, you will receive the book stipend and BAH, but the cap would have already been hit, and thus no tuition would be paid. You will still lose months of benefits.

^If this is the case, I'd recommend NOT using the GI Bill for any spring semester, assuming each fall utilizes the full (or close to it) amount of tuition coverage. Living expenses for 4 months is relatively small, especially if you'd end up taking out loans for the tuition anyway. If you have scholarships to cover the tuition, or more, then great because you wouldn't have to take out as much.

By doing this, you'd also save quite a bit of time to utilize for med school with less debt than most of your counterparts, and no debt for the first 1-3 years of med school.

Hope this helps.

Double check what I posted though with the certifying official at your school. I'm actually unsure if you can choose to not use it after starting the year with it, BUT it has to be certified each semester, and thus I believe you can elect to not certify, and thus also not need to use the benefit if you dont want to.

I'll also add, New updates have been added (as well as pending) concerning schools that are currently enrolled in the Yellow Ribbon Program (which is the school going in 50/50 with the VA on tuition costs for as long as you have your benefits available). Some have no cap on veteran students while others go on a first come first serve basis. The new 2019 - 2020 list has been announced to take place this August 1st.

You may have already looked into this, but check again with your Certifying Official and go to the following link to look for your school:

An interesting tidbit I found out recently. As I have previously stated, any school over 25k annually (tuition only) is considered "high cost of attendance" and requires a supervisor's approval. Nothing new there, but the kicker is that if you were lucky enough to A). find a med school under 25k and B). also have Ch 31 pay for your undergrad, then you will probably still end up with your first year of med school being classified as "high cost of attendance." This is the scenario I am currently in. Even though my medical school is under 25k, because my school makes all of their tuition due in the fall and my VRC already paid my spring tuition for undergrad, this year has now become a high cost of attendance event and we are having to get a VR&E officer to sign off on it :mad: This is a pretty clear case that they never intended the program to cover both undergraduate and graduate combined, since it is hard to imagine this not happening in nearly every scenario.

I'll also add, New updates have been added (as well as pending) concerning schools that are currently enrolled in the Yellow Ribbon Program (which is the school going in 50/50 with the VA on tuition costs for as long as you have your benefits available). Some have no cap on veteran students while others go on a first come first serve basis. The new 2019 - 2020 list has been announced to take place this August 1st.

You may have already looked into this, but check again with your Certifying Official and go to the following link to look for your school:

My VA supervisor at the school I’ll be attending sent me the Yellow Ribbon application and told me to turn it in ASAP. Apparently only 5 people can get approved at my school, so hopefully I got it.

An interesting tidbit I found out recently. As I have previously stated, any school over 25k annually (tuition only) is considered "high cost of attendance" and requires a supervisor's approval. Nothing new there, but the kicker is that if you were lucky enough to A). find a med school under 25k and B). also have Ch 31 pay for your undergrad, then you will probably still end up with your first year of med school being classified as "high cost of attendance." This is the scenario I am currently in. Even though my medical school is under 25k, because my school makes all of their tuition due in the fall and my VRC already paid my spring tuition for undergrad, this year has now become a high cost of attendance event and we are having to get a VR&E officer to sign off on it :mad: This is a pretty clear case that they never intended the program to cover both undergraduate and graduate combined, since it is hard to imagine this not happening in nearly every scenario.

More reason that in less than 12 hours I have a higher hurdle to follow. They really are sticking to their guns on undergrad and tightening the rope more so on approvals for any professional-graduate program. My luck, this bar went much higher since I took the last half year to prepare my case and my evidence in a 3 ring binder...eh

My VA supervisor at the school I’ll be attending sent me the Yellow Ribbon application and told me to turn it in ASAP. Apparently only 5 people can get approved at my school, so hopefully I got it.

Your certifying official was really watching your back.

I happen to be in a program that is unlimited for student veterans. I believe that's just because the amount of veterans attending my specific program is really zero-to-none. You are right though, many others are cut-throat on a first come first serve basis which can literally be a 25k+ price for some students that procrastinate and never do their homework.

$24k is the cap. Lets say your school is $30k. The first semester takes away about 4 months and pays for the first 15k (since 30k is for the year in this example, then 15k per semester). IF you enroll with the GI Bill in the spring, it will will cover up to 24k, so 24 - the 15k already used = 9k. The spring semester will leave you having to pay $6k. IF you do not choose to enroll with the GI Bill in the spring, in this example, you'd have to pay the whole $15k that remains. By enrolling, even though there will be some tuition left to be paid, you will still receive the book stipend and BAH. If you choose to not enroll with the GI Bill for the semester, you don't receive anything.

Even though there is a cap, and thus the whole tuition is not being pay, you're still going to be enrolled full time, so for the whole year - fall and spring, yes, the full 8 months will be utilized.

IF your school is lets say $50k, then the $24k is utilized all in the first semester (which is what it seems you typed if I didn't misread it) - in which you'd pay out of pocket $1k. IF you use the GI Bill the spring semester, you will receive the book stipend and BAH, but the cap would have already been hit, and thus no tuition would be paid. You will still lose months of benefits.

^If this is the case, I'd recommend NOT using the GI Bill for any spring semester, assuming each fall utilizes the full (or close to it) amount of tuition coverage. Living expenses for 4 months is relatively small, especially if you'd end up taking out loans for the tuition anyway. If you have scholarships to cover the tuition, or more, then great because you wouldn't have to take out as much.

By doing this, you'd also save quite a bit of time to utilize for med school with less debt than most of your counterparts, and no debt for the first 1-3 years of med school.

Hope this helps.

I see! So i can tell the school to only use it for the fall so i dont lose months they arent paying anyway?? So my school is 54k a year so i would max out and even owe 3k in the fall. I have 9 months of benefits left so they would essentially be able to pay for 3 fall semesters bc from what Ive been told even if you have 1 day left they will just pay for the semester

Double check what I posted though with the certifying official at your school. I'm actually unsure if you can choose to not use it after starting the year with it, BUT it has to be certified each semester, and thus I believe you can elect to not certify, and thus also not need to use the benefit if you dont want to.

GOT IT!!!!

This school doesnt partake in this. But thanks!

I see! I addressed that in a proposal I wrote up bc it is 27k a semester and it isnt all due at once. But still i know its a “high cost” school. I sent in all of my gi bill info to the school just in case my VR doesnt come through in time. 2 moNths after i did the eval and sent in job announcements i havent heard anything but i emailed him last night for a status update.

More reason that in less than 12 hours I have a higher hurdle to follow. They really are sticking to their guns on undergrad and tightening the rope more so on approvals for any professional-graduate program. My luck, this bar went much higher since I took the last half year to prepare my case and my evidence in a 3 ring binder...eh

Yea i wrote up a proposal referencing the 38 CFR regarding diff levels of school so they would have a hard time denying if all your ducks are in a row and you have done your research.

ok, I am REALLY worried about money. The registrar office JUST certified classes for my military benefits (GI bill). I am worried that I wont get money on time, and I have no idea what I will live on....

ok, I am REALLY worried about money. The registrar office JUST certified classes for my military benefits (GI bill). I am worried that I wont get money on time, and I have no idea what I will live on....

Get your bah? If school starts in aug you will get your first bah payment in september. Is that what you are referencing? You can always take out loans.

If you submitted your certificate of eligibility to the certifying official (even this close to school), it should be a click of a button and a couple of key-strokes to get you in.

Don’t expect it in August but the beginning of next month. Also, it’ll be the difference of you being a full time student. If you start August 15th then you only get half your BAH for being enrolled for half of August.

By September it’ll be full BAH. You can always use your book stipend to cover short term housing cost ($500 for fall) until you get the normal rate as a student.