Veterinary Anatomy Coloring Books?

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

Finnsheep

10+ Year Member
Reaction score
Are there any good veterinary anatomy coloring books available, that you would recommend? The only one that I have really seen is Saunder's, which has at least a fairly positive reputation. I am not yet studying anatomy in school, so this is definitely at this point more of a way to satisfy my desire to learn more.

I did see the thread from earlier this spring about this, but it wasn't very helpful, since it wasn't really addressing my question. And who doesn't want to study anatomy? :)

I am also buying "Anatomy and Physiology of Farm Animals" by Frandson, Wilke, and Fails, which I had a chance to personally review, and it is incredibly fascinating and easy to understand. The reproductive and mammary anatomy chapters alone are worth the price of the book, in my opinion. I love reading about these topics and my personal library is sorely lacking in such books.

I am wanting to do this because I LOVE anatomy and physiology...not because I feel compelled to study it right now! Just so you know. I may be nuts, but I will be nuts doing what I love in my free time. ;)

Members don't see this ad.

Members don't see this ad :)
Yeah I do agree that you are fecking nuts....

Saunders is good.... I like coloring..... :D

For a good anatomy book all photos -
Color Atlas of Veterinary Anatomy, Volume 3, The Dog and Cat

The other volumes are good too, but they are all pricey so I got that one first!

My ex got me the Saunders one for a Christmas gift this year. It looks pretty decent. I'll get back to you once school starts though. Haha. Kind of just hope I have time to use it.

I cannot for the life of me understand how people who want to be veterinarians can despise anatomy so much. I want to understand what the body is made of, the functions of every part, and how they all relate to each other. I can't begin to fathom how wonderfully we (and animals) are put together and it is so awe-inspiring and fascinating to learn about it. It's a huge interest of mine. I memorized much of the skeleton when I was eight (cervical, thoracic, lumbar, sacral, and caudal vertebrae; cranium, mandible, maxilla; scapula, sternum, ribs, humerus, radius, ulna, carpus, metacarpus, phalange; pelvis, femur, patella, tibia, fibula, tarsus, metarsus, phalange) and could identify them all, not to mention many other "parts" of various systems...
It's been exceedingly helpful as I started shadowing and working with various vets, and also raising sheep and goats.
Devyn, what is THAT in your avatar?
Thank you all for the information! I'll probably start with Saunder's, as it is only about twenty dollars.

I cannot for the life of me understand how people who want to be veterinarians can despise anatomy so much. I want to understand what the body is made of, the functions of every part, and how they all relate to each other. I can't begin to fathom how wonderfully we (and animals) are put together and it is so awe-inspiring and fascinating to learn about it. It's a huge interest of mine. I memorized much of the skeleton when I was eight (cervical, thoracic, lumbar, sacral, and caudal vertebrae; cranium, mandible, maxilla; scapula, sternum, ribs, humerus, radius, ulna, carpus, metacarpus, phalange; pelvis, femur, patella, tibia, fibula, tarsus, metarsus, phalange) and could identify them all, not to mention many other "parts" of various systems...
It's been exceedingly helpful as I started shadowing and working with various vets, and also raising sheep and goats.
Thank you all for the information! I'll probably start with Saunder's, as it is only about twenty dollars.

Anatomy has been my favorite class in Vet school so far - I love dissection and learning about where everything is in every different animal...I enjoy species differences. I think it can just be overwhelming as a subject on top of everything else in vet school, so that is where you get the aversion to it. There is so much to learn... and we do oral exams here which makes it even harder.

My avatar is ET under water :laugh:

I am a complete anatomy nerd especially equine anatomy:love:!!!!! My favorite class by far!!

I mainly colored the Pasquini dissection and anatomy books which helped me a lot. In addition, I used Saunder's vet anatomy flash cards which cover more species and helped me with testing myself.

I cannot for the life of me understand how people who want to be veterinarians can despise anatomy so much.

Because when it's taught in isolation and tested on a lab practical (aka here is a preserved limb what is the name of this muscle), it becomes a tedious exercise in rote memorization rather than an exercise in thinking and understanding, perhaps? It's totally useless the way it's taught and tested in many traditional curricula and guess what - that's going to turn people off to it. I can tell you what any muscle should do based on where it attaches to bones, but I probably couldn't tell you what the name of it is because to me that's trivial.

Incidentally I was much, much better with learning the bones than the muscles/veins/arteries in anatomy. Again, I could tell you how the blood is supplied and removed from an area, but the names of most? hell naw, not important to me.

And it's a bit offensive that you would insinuate that if we really wanted to be vets, we would love anatomy. I could tell you the same thing about genetics - you wouldn't have all of those stupid muscles and bones if it weren't for the genes. But plenty of people hate that too.

My friends got me Saunder's and colored pencils as a going away gift. And a Starbucks giftcard. lol

Well you obviously have a lot to learn because you did NOT learn much of the skeleton. Learning the skeleton is knowing every bump and groove and hole and edge of a bone. THEN you know the skeleton.

And then you need to know exactly where every muscle attaches on every one of those bumps and grooves and holes and edges etc etc.

Your attitude is typical of someone who has no idea what they are talking about.

Anatomy is hated by some because it is mostly memorizing a bunch of names and is not:
to understand what the body is made of, the functions of every part, and how they all relate to each other

It is great that you love anatomy, and I hope you can maintain that love, but drop the judgmental attitude, as if you have it all figured out, because I can guarantee that you don't.

FYI, what you love sounds a lot more like physiology than anatomy IMO>

Reactions: 1 user
Just want to chime in and say that I love anatomy and love dissection labs. Not sure if that makes me a weirdo...

Members don't see this ad :)
Aw, nyanko, I wasn't trying to mean- it was a joke- like everybody else saying I was nuts or sick. I would assume they weren't really being serious...

And I KNOW that I know NOTHING. I was just trying to point out that I have loved this stuff since I was small. It's fascinating, and I want to start being able to really uncover what all of it is about. I am fully aware that everything is so much more complicated than what I was exposed to. If I thought I knew it all, or even a lot, I wouldn't be asking for advice on coloring books. I don't think- at all- that I have it all figured out.

You have to know both anatomy and physiology to really understand them. I love them both. Embryology is fascinating too- and yes, I know that I know nothing about that either. I don't see anything wrong with being interested in a variety of areas and wanting to learn.

I realize that I am going to be spending a long time and work very hard to learn all this in school- and that I will also have many other things to learn at the same time. I am sure it will be stressful and tiring and I am also sure that I will not like all subjects nor will I be good at all subjects, nor will I like all aspects of even the subjects that I do like. That's life, and I am well aware of it.

I LOVE genetics, you know. Some of my favorite areas I am learning about right now are color genetics of Nordic Short-Tailed sheep (especially fascinating are grays) and the FecB gene (Booroola gene). These are my own personal studies, done to satisfy my own curiosity, and I am very well aware that this doesn't even begin to scratch the surface. I would never claim to know it all, because I never will, and I certainly know absolutely nothing now.

My apologies if I offended anyone, because it was never intended.

So far, I like learning about it on my own time. We'll see how it goes once I have to know it all for a grade and so much at a time. :laugh:

Also I used the Saunders coloring book for cardio anatomy and for head/neuroanatomy and it was super useful for those, and for arteries/veins, but not as much for muscles for me as it's more of a visual distinction problem on my end for those.

I have Saunders, too, by the way because I thought $20 wasn't too bad for the basic stuff I wanted to learn about at that time. It did help with my Animal Science class a bit.

Does it cover the ruminant digestive system at all? Anything covering cattle and sheep or other ruminants vs. equines, canines, felines, etc.

My computer is too slow to go through the contents of the book online. It just freezes.

Last edited:
Saunders has canine, feline, porcine, avian and ruminant anatomy. It's divided into sections of the head and neck, neck, back, vertebral column, abdomen, pelvis, forelimb and hindlimb. (just copied it from the back cause I have to hurry)

I memorized much of the skeleton when I was eight.

unimpressed-cat.jpg

like the above people said, anatomy class vet school edition really takes the fun out of it all and steals your soul. i think what makes me dislike it so much (i do find it fascinating though and i LOVE physiology) is that anatomy never fails to make me feel like a totally inadequate idiot. you just can't learn it all, and i felt like no matter how hard i worked or how much time i put in, there was always a ton of stuff i simply could not remember. that was extremely frustrating for me.

I hated anatomy. Hated it. Burn in a fire kinda hate. Some people felt that towards a different class, so... it just depends on what jives or doesn't jive with you.

As for coloring, I made my own drewings (traced them or just freehanded, depending) and then colored them myself. And now I'mma pass them down to my buddy/little sib (woo whyevernot!) so maybe they will help, or maybe not. But they're pretty at least.

You actually got an SDNer? That's awesome!

Well, I'm doing the program. So I picked her. :) I am unaware of any other SDNers in the class, though In sure there are lurkers. And equitate - no idea who that is.

I have the Saunders Vet Anatomy coloring book and I also have another one called Horse Anatomy: A Coloring Atlas by Kainer and McCracken.

Well, I'm doing the program. So I picked her. :) I am unaware of any other SDNers in the class, though In sure there are lurkers. And equitate - no idea who that is.

That's awesome! :laugh:

like the above people said, anatomy class vet school edition really takes the fun out of it all and steals your soul. i think what makes me dislike it so much (i do find it fascinating though and i LOVE physiology) is that anatomy never fails to make me feel like a totally inadequate idiot. you just can't learn it all, and i felt like no matter how hard i worked or how much time i put in, there was always a ton of stuff i simply could not remember. that was extremely frustrating for me.
We're all totally inadequate idiots, then. :)

We simply cannot learn, remember, or understand every aspect of each subject that we ever take. We're human, and not even the most intelligent person that ever lived or will live will know even the tiniest fraction of the secrets of the world in which we live.

So, we just do the best we can, and get through. We don't have to know everything to be good vets (and can't), but I do personally think a spirit of curiosity and a desire to keep on learning is very important.

I think too we may not think that what we are learning is very important now, but maybe it will be in the future. I struggle to come up with real-life (non-academic) situations in which I will use much of the math that I've learned, and I truly hope that I will, so it wouldn't have been an enormous waste of my time...and I'm sure that there are other classes too, and it's different for everyone.

And I don't think everyone should like the same thing! I personally don't care that much for small animals but I would be more than happy to spend the rest of my life in all the barns of my county, castrating, lambing, fixing prolapses, and vaccinating. I wouldn't give that up for all the regular-hour AC clinics in the world. BUT I do think that my small animal exposure and anything I learn about them will be very helpful- and I don't see how people can pick up nothing valuable in LA that they could apply to SA. The great thing about veterinary medicine, I think, is that you can make it whatever you want, within reason.

We don't have to know everything to be good vets (and can't), but I do personally think a spirit of curiosity and a desire to keep on learning is very important.

The great thing about veterinary medicine, I think, is that you can make it whatever you want, within reason.

:thumbup::thumbup: :)

So, we just do the best we can, and get through. We don't have to know everything to be good vets (and can't), but I do personally think a spirit of curiosity and a desire to keep on learning is very important.

Second year of vet school pretty much beat this out of me.

edit: there was pretty much no time to actually learn anything. I honestly feel dumber after 2nd year than I was when I started.

edit: there was pretty much no time to actually learn anything. I honestly feel dumber after 2nd year than I was when I started.

well crap. i already feel stupid :eek: (everyday i think "and i'm supposed to be responsible for lives in a few years?? yikes!!!)

All I learned in second year is that in the face of adversity, drink more Sparkletini.

I <3 my Pasquini book. I found coloring in the pictures very helpful last year.

Your curriculum will be different from ours. But nobody has experienced year two of that one yet, so be sure to keep up with the class of 2015's saga next year as they do. :smuggrin:

Will do so on bated breadth. I'll have to watch the Rant Page.

Merits of Sparkletini for 2nd year:
1) Tastes like candy
2) $4.99 at Cost Plus, sometimes reduced price in bulk!
3) Makes studying things tolerable because everyone in the group is tipsy and everyone knows that the best mnemonics come when tipsy. It's scientific fact. Well except for the one for "reasons for premedication." A FAR RAP doesn't make any sense at all.

All of my friends in Vet school said the same thing about year 2.. its a shame.. you expect to learn MORE each year..