Veterinary Assistant - non-healthcare or healthcare experience?

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

MotherofDucks

7+ Year Member
Reaction score
I just stared working as a veterinary assistant for the upcoming gap year. I assumed this was a non-healthcare field, and should be classified as such when I enter it on my AACOMAS application but when I mentioned it to someone I work with, she thought it would be considered health care experience. Thoughts?

Members don't see this ad.

I just stared working as a veterinary assistant for the upcoming gap year. I assumed this was a non-healthcare field, and should be classified as such when I enter it on my AACOMAS application but when I mentioned it to someone I work with, she thought it would be considered health care experience. Thoughts?
In the PA world, being a vet tech is not viewed as health care experience by the CASPA. Extrapolating to the AACOMAS world, if it was me, I would be conservative and not count this as healthcare experience.

It's not healthcare experience, I have years of vet tech experience and it's not being counted since they aren't human patients. But it is still important experience that you can use to your benefit!