Vets and Suicide: Relevant Theory

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

hygebeorht

radiology is best ology
10+ Year Member
Reaction score
I know that veterinary suicide rates have been discussed before, but while I was reading this piece, it made a lot of sense to me:

http://www.thedailybeast.com/newswe...and-what-we-can-do-to-help.html?src=longreads

Especially the Venn diagram illustrating Joiner's theory. The long hours that many vets work can make them feel isolated from friends and family, giving rise to loneliness. Extreme debt and difficult clients can make a vet feel useless and unwanted. And most vets are comfortable with death and used to euthanasia. It's not hard to see how a vet could be less afraid of dying than those who are in non-medical professions - more comfortable even than physicians. While physicians deal with dead and dying humans, they do not kill their patients. Vets are more accustomed to the feeling of ending a life.

It seems to me that physicians would be less likely to suffer from the feeling of uselessness, perhaps because they are compensated well, or because at least in American society, they enjoy high social status. They probably suffer the same feeling of hopelessness in the face of difficult cases or patients, but they don't suffer the same debt burden as most veterinarians.

Anyway. Suicide in general has been on my mind. A close friend of my sibling killed himself last week, and after reading this article, it struck me how these factors could account for vets' suicide rate.

Members don't see this ad.

*Suicide in general has been on my mind. A close friend of my sibling killed himself last week, and after reading this article, it struck me how these factors could account for vets' suicide rate.

Wow. Very close friend of my (so's) brother killed herself Tuesday night. Its so sad. :(

This article gives me the willies.

It seems to me that physicians would be less likely to suffer from the feeling of uselessness, perhaps because they are compensated well, or because at least in American society, they enjoy high social status. They probably suffer the same feeling of hopelessness in the face of difficult cases or patients, but they don't suffer the same debt burden as most veterinarians.

My understanding is that veterinarians are some of the most highly regarded professionals by society as a whole. They may not enjoy high social status because of expensive stuff but I think the "intangibles" are definitely in their favor. But then everyone always assumes vets make so much money, so I think there is a disconnect - human doctors really do make a lot of money, especially compared to vets and the debt:salary ratio.

Members don't see this ad :)
As I recall, you're right, veterinarians are seen as very upstanding and trustworthy. But in the day-to-day, dealing with distraught and/or difficult clients can definitely wear one down, I think.

Because vet care seems so expensive when you're on the paying end, people do tend to assume that vets must be rolling in dough. The reality of crushing debt and hard and often thankless work can really wear a person down. There are a few vets that visit this forum from time to time who can attest to that.

My understanding is that veterinarians are some of the most highly regarded professionals by society as a whole. They may not enjoy high social status because of expensive stuff but I think the "intangibles" are definitely in their favor

Sadly, that's not true........they don't really rank at all (for better or worse). In fact, some recent professions surveys don't even mention them.

Sadly, that's not true........they don't really rank at all (for better or worse). In fact, some recent professions surveys don't even mention them.

Huh. I definitely saw a study (in a class) where they were highly ranked compared to certain other professions (MD, teacher, nurse, etc). I'll try to dig it up.