VHVMASP

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.
D

deleted530324

Veterans Healing Veterans Medical Access and Scholarship Program

VHVMASP means the Veterans Healing Veterans Medical Access and Scholarship Program authorized by section 304 of the VA MISSION Act of 2018.

Someone had mentioned this in an earlier thread and I believed it deserved its own thread.

Pertinent info:

(1) Each covered medical school that opts to participate in the VHVMASP will reserve two seats in the entering class of 2020 for eligible veterans who receive funds for the HVMASP. Funding will be awarded to two eligible veterans with the highest admissions ranking among veteran applicants for such entering class for each covered medical school.

(2) If two or more eligible veterans do not apply for admission at a covered medical school for the entering class of 2020, VA will distribute the available funding to eligible veterans who applied, and are accepted, for admission at other covered medical schools.

An eligible veteran will receive funding from the VHVMASP equal to the actual cost of the following:

(1) Tuition at the covered medical school for which the veteran enrolls for a period of not more than 4 years;

(2) Books, fees, and technical equipment;

(3) Fees associated with the National Residency Match Program;

(4) Two away rotations, performed during the fourth year of school, at a VA medical facility; and

(5) A monthly stipend for the four-year period during which the eligible veteran is enrolled in a covered medical school in an amount to be determined by VA.

Agreement and obligated service.

(1) Maintain enrollment, attendance, and acceptable level of academic standing as defined by the covered medical school;

(2) Complete post-graduate training leading to eligibility for board certification in a physician specialty applicable to VA;

(3) After completion of medical school and post-graduate training, obtain and maintain a license to practice medicine in a State.

(4) Serve as a full-time clinical practice employee in VA for a period of four years.

Location and position of obligated service.

(1) VA reserves the right to make final decisions on the location and position of the obligated service.

Participating Medical Schools:
Texas A&M College of Medicine
Quillen College of Medicine at East Tennessee State University
Boonshoft School of Medicine at Wright State University
Joan C. Edwards School of Medicine at Marshall University
University of South Carolina School of Medicine
Charles R. Drew University of Medicine and Science
Howard University College of Medicine
Meharry Medical College
Morehouse School of Medicine

From what I gather the scholarship covers full tuition with a living stipend and does not utilize the GI Bill. Seems like a good deal for vets interested in some form of public service, but not open to the possibility of deployments or overseas duty stations.

Members don't see this ad.

Reactions: 2 users
Has anyone applying this cycle heard more about this? Specifically at ETSU?

This is awesome and something I would have signed up for if I weren't already on Ch 31. TBH, they should raise the cap significantly on this and do whatever is needed to get more schools on board. I served as a veteran to veteran hospice volunteer for 3 years and during that time I met scores of veterans and their family members that expressed how much they enjoyed having care from other veterans.

Reactions: 1 user
Members don't see this ad :)
This is awesome and something I would have signed up for if I weren't already on Ch 31. TBH, they should raise the cap significantly on this and do whatever is needed to get more schools on board. I served as a veteran to veteran hospice volunteer for 3 years and during that time I met scores of veterans and their family members that expressed how much they enjoyed having care from other veterans.
Yeah, 18 slots is a start I guess. Turns out the VA also has an HPSP program that is very similar.

Reactions: 1 users
Are there any major differences between this and the new VA HPSP program? They appear quite similar.

I don't think the HPSP program requires vet status. I feel like veterans completing the program would be more likely to continue working at the VA once their contract was up (both for practical, ie, years counted toward federal retirement, and philosophical reasons).

Reactions: 1 users
Do we know if you will only be eligible to apply for this next cycle (class of 2025)? Or will students be able to apply for it this year and for already enrolled students?

Has anyone figured out the process of applying under this program? I was under the impression it would be within the schools tab on AMCAS, but I don't see it there...