Viability of Orofacial Pain Residency Outside a University Setting

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

cyro8

5+ Year Member
Reaction score
Just as the title implies, do you believe an Orofacial Pain-trained dentist can incorporate this into their private practice? To me, it seems like no-man's land when it comes to billing insurance. Would you bill dental or medical insurance or could you bill any insurance at all? It seems like such a niche field. Or is this a field that will be stuck in a University where grant funding keeps it afloat?

Members don't see this ad.

I don't know the answer but I do wonder this as well.

I also question Oral Radiology and Oral Pathology outside of a university setting. Seems very difficult to find any private practitioners in those fields

I don't know the answer but I do wonder this as well.

I also question Oral Radiology and Oral Pathology outside of a university setting. Seems very difficult to find any private practitioners in those fields
A lot of maxillofacial radiologists are doing for themselves in private practice. They work with teleradiology firms or start their own independent reporting services.

It seems you are still in dental school.

Reactions: 1 users
Members don't see this ad :)
A lot of maxillofacial radiologists are doing for themselves in private practice. They work with teleradiology firms or start their own independent reporting services.

yes I am still. good to know, I barely know anything about the field.

My experience is only know of one OMFR and he does part time GP work and part time practice as an OMFR. And our radiology professor.

Although I'm not the OP you replied to, I too am in dental school. My school has a CODA Orofacial pain program, but I don't know much about it. It's an interesting field and I am going to research more about it, but I didn't know what outside experiences you or others have had with people in this field. It would be something that piques my interest if I could implement it outside of a University, but I don't know of any "orofacial pain" centers in my entire state. I see the occasional TMJ and sleep medicine clinics, but that's about it.

Reactions: 1 user