Viability of taking over dads high volume practices

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

Pmoose

7+ Year Member
Reaction score
Hello all,
My dad currently owns and is the head OD of 2 very high volume practices. Both practices are 26 years old and have yet to see a decrease in patients. I'm very eager of the possibility to take over the practices, but my dad warns that he believes his practices may become obsolete due to the possibility of being able to get eye exams and contacts and such online. He wasn't really specific, but he just has a nudge that soon enough, there will be no reason for people to actually come into an office to get their eyes checked when this can just be done online. In my opinion, I don't believe the optometry field is going anywhere anytime soon. What do you guys think about this? I have the chance to take over 2 very high volume practices, each making a lot of money. The only major roadblock is the possibility of the optometry field becoming obsolete. What do you guys think about this?

Members don't see this ad.

Nothing online can replace what a doctor can do in person. It's also not possible to thoroughly diagnose and treat without a doctor seeing you and examining you. I believe people will always pay more for excellent service and care, so I don't believe brick-and-mortar practices will be going anywhere. We will all just have to find ways to set ourselves apart and people will value the work that we do. Looks like you have a great set-up for the future! I think that a young doc can bring loads of great things to a practice. We are more eager than those who have been practicing for years, and we are more willing to try new things. I think that will make a huge difference! Generalizing some things, yes, but I think our generation is much different than the past, and it'll make the future of optometry very exciting

Reactions: 1 user