Dismiss Notice

Interview Feedback: Visit Interview Feedback to view and submit interview information.

Interviewing Masterclass: Free masterclass on interviewing from SDN and Medical College of Georgia

Dismiss Notice
Hey Texans—join us for a DFW meetup! Click here to learn more.

Video Games and Success on the PAT, and Dental School

Discussion in 'Pre-Dental' started by Typo, Apr 29, 2004.

1. Typo

10+ Year Member

This theory of mine might sound somewhat wacky, but I seriously believe that video games (in moderation) will contribute to my success in dental school during clinical work.

Consider this first: in one of my wife's psychology books, it mentioned studies specifically demonstrating that those who played video games scored better on the PAT.

Second, check out this link. Not related to dentistry per se, but close enough:

Surgery and Video Games

I've been a gamer since I was a kid. Funny thing is, my wife was absolutely opposed to me playing video games when we first got married, and tried to get me to stop. Now, she's really warmed up to the idea and is cool with me playing (again, in moderation! :))

Any thoughts? Similar theories? People who think I'm a nut? ;)

2. Note: SDN Members do not see this ad.

3. quickfix

quickfix dental resident
    7+ Year Member

Resident [Any Field]
    very funny that your wife would be opposed to u playin video games..

while i would say that video games have been an overall slight positive in my life and that u never know where the stuff u learned from those games can save you in random situations. (for instance, i learned how offsides works in hockey from NHLPA 93' even though i've never actually played hockey) lol. i don't think they did much to help me on the PAT section of the DAT. the best help i got on the PAT came from the year or so i spent mastering the rubik's cube. -yes i know you are going to say :smuggrin: , anyway the cube helped a lot.

4. UBTom

UBTom Class '04 official geezer
    10+ Year Member

Yep, some video games do enhance hand-eye coordination.. Typo's point on moderation is well-taken though; one needs to know when to shut off the game and crack open the books, particularly when a midterm is a day or two away. :laugh:

I reserve holidays for video gaming. It's good for relieving stress from studying too.

Doing this in a particular game I play helps me develop a deft touch: :D

[​IMG]

5. Pontifex Maximus

Pontifex Maximus Rads-a-palooza
    Physician 10+ Year Member

Resident [Any Field]
    I'm in better shape then I thought :)

6. ziptree

ziptree DDS
    10+ Year Member

If that's the case, my kid brother would score 30 on his PATs. HAH!....

Oh wait, you said in moderation...nevermind. ;)

7. UNLV OMS GUNNABE

10+ Year Member

Resident [Any Field]
    I couldn't pass up this thread. I am a video game FANATIC. I play constantly. I almost wish they wouldn't have given me a laptop at this school bc I play a lot. In boring classes, I just sit there and play UT2004 (great game by the way). I do keep up with my grades however, you do need self control. I definately don't think it helped on the PAT, I wish it would have. But man is it good stress relief when 12 of us hub it up after a final and blast the crap out of each other for an hour or two. :laugh:

8. ToothMonkey

ToothMonkey Senior Member
    7+ Year Member

Tell me about it. Why, just last week I was marvelling at how much Grand Theft Auto has improved my carjacking skills.

9. quickfix

quickfix dental resident
    7+ Year Member

Resident [Any Field]
    toothmonkey,

jus last week u prolly also posted this website .

my personal fav : "They look delicious" when a woman asks you what you think of fish in an aquarium is never the right answer. :laugh: