Video on career in pathology

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

BU Pathology

15+ Year Member
Reaction score
The University of Pittsburgh Medical Center has produced a video describing what a pathologist does on a daily basis. Medical students may find this information interesting since it shows that we do much more than autopsies.

The short version:
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=1uAeX7pvbY8

The slightly longer version:
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=TI5CUdLfUz4

Daniel Remick, M.D.
Chair and Professor of Pathology and Laboratory Medicine
Boston University School of Medicine and Boston Medical Center

Members don't see this ad.

This becomes a job market thread in - 3... 2... 1...

Members don't see this ad :)
Students better go check out the local labcorp/quest and talk to as many private practice pathologists as they can.

It is gratifying to see so many thread views, hopefully students are learning what a pathologist does in her/his day to day business.

It is gratifying to see so many thread views, hopefully students are learning what a pathologist does in her/his day to day business.

With all due respect Dr. Remick, this video will do very little if anything to recruit intelligent medical students to pathology.

I can't believe the chief resident dropped the line "we are the doctor's doctor". Maybe 30 years ago. But now community hospital based pathologists are the gastroenterologist's assisitant. We spend 45-60 minutes doing bed side cytology adequacy which reimburses close to nothing and then for their lucrative outpatient gi biopsies they send it to some stooge pathologist and pay him a quarter on the dollar for his professional interpretation while they collect the other three quarters plus the tc. And you know what you better kiss their ass because otherwise they will complain about your attitude to the administration.

Last edited:
I remember last year when our faculty wanted a make a video promoting our medical school. They chose the best looking people in our school.

Are these the hottest pathology has to offer? No offence.

I can't believe the chief resident dropped the line "we are the doctor's doctor". Maybe 30 years ago. But now community hospital based pathologists are the gastroenterologist's stepin fetchit. We spend 45-60 minutes doing bed side cytology adequacy which reimburses close to nothing and then for their lucrative outpatient gi biopsies they send it to some stooge pathologist and pay him a quarter on the dollar for his professional interpretation while they collect the other three quarters plus the tc. And you know what you better kiss their ass because otherwise they will complain about your attitude to the administration.

I spent 3 hours yesterday doing cytology adequacy. It was a money losing day for sure. Thank you PET scans for all your false positives. Now they are wanting to CT scan smokers every year. I can only imagine this unprofitable work is going to get worse.

To add insult to injury. I couldnt help but notice that CMS is wanting to slash 88173 reimbursement by 25 percent as well. FNA reimbursement heading down.

Last edited: