Videos Online

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

ManlyMan246

10+ Year Member
Reaction score
So for undergrad, MIT and a bunch of prestigious universities posted up videos of their class lectures. Do any medical schools do the same for the general public to access?

Members don't see this ad.

Yeah that would be awesome. Thanks all who contribute!

Members don't see this ad :)
What are the ones that you know? You don't have to share them as I am willing to buy them!

I'd probably watch them before class. At my university, only some of the lectures are recorded while other aren't, thus it is in my best interest to attend the ones that are not recorded. With that being said, I always day-dream during lecture because I often times have no idea what the hell is going on. If I watch a video on the lecture beforehand, I think I would pay more attention. It's like reading the chapter before the lecture starts, except I'd prefer a video.

By the way I am not in medical school, but I have used this method for a few of my classes (biology, chemistry, physics) and it has worked out great!

I'd probably watch them before class. At my university, only some of the lectures are recorded while other aren't, thus it is in my best interest to attend the ones that are not recorded. With that being said, I always day-dream during lecture because I often times have no idea what the hell is going on. If I watch a video on the lecture beforehand, I think I would pay more attention. It's like reading the chapter before the lecture starts, except I'd prefer a video.

By the way I am not in medical school, but I have used this method for a few of my classes (biology, chemistry, physics) and it has worked out great!

You're not in yet but you want to buy them? Why don't you just wait till you know where you're going and get them from an 2nd year upperclassman?

You watched lectures from other schools and it worked? That's kind of impressive.

I don't think this is a great idea, only because it depends on the lecturer. Some lecturers throw crap tons of their own research into slides and really expect you to know insane levels of minutiae. You'd have to wade through this watching lectures from other institutions...

Why don't you just buy a book and read it? Look in First Aid and pick one of the highly rated books for whatever you're studying.... You're more likely to

a. hit stuff that's important.
b. not waste time learning about Dr. Big Deal's research into the Let 7 miRNA that how it's going to lead to a cure for whatever.

Our lectures are recorded but the recordings are deleted at the end of each semester and we have been told that if anyone outside our class gets the recordings or they turn up anywhere on the internet there will be severe consequences including that lecture recording will be prohibited.

Very low yield in med school. Best to at least skim the syllabus reading before the lecture to get more out of the lecture, and make the lecture more of an active learning session (take notes, annotate what you have read, print out the lecture slides and write margin notes). To sit there and daydream is a waste, but you compound it by watching an hour lecture passively and then do the same in the lecture hall.

You're not in yet but you want to buy them? Why don't you just wait till you know where you're going and get them from an 2nd year upperclassman?

I obviously wouldn't buy them until I got into medical school. I don't day-dream the entire class, but rather for only a few minutes – it just throws me off because I don't understand what it going on after that, sometimes.

What I was referring too were videos like Dr. Najeeb's – which are more focused on material on Step I. I would view his corresponding videos prior to attending lecture.

However, according to Law2Doc, this is an ineffective method to use in medical school. I'd take his view over mine.