Viewing Letters of Recommendation on AMCAS?

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

Revolver1045

10+ Year Member
Reaction score
Hi all,

Recently I was shadowing a physician and she told me that applicants can view their letters of recommendation before sending them to various schools from AMCAS. She's been practicing medicine for about 8 years so she may have applied under different circumstances. However, she seemed pretty adamant that they can be viewed. Does anyone know about this?

Thanks

Members don't see this ad.

Hi all,

Recently I was shadowing a physician and she told me that applicants can view their letters of recommendation before sending them to various schools from AMCAS. She's been practicing medicine for about 8 years so she may have applied under different circumstances. However, she seemed pretty adamant that they can be viewed. Does anyone know about this?

Thanks

Pretty sure she's misinformed. You give up your right to view the letters when you submit them. And you certainly can't view them on AMCAS.

Pretty sure she's misinformed. You give up your right to view the letters when you submit them. And you certainly can't view them on AMCAS.
I concur that letters cannot be viewed on AMCAS. Furthermore, this is highly suspicious of being another troll thread. If not, remember that you cannot submit your LORs to AMCAS. They are submitted with your secondary applications, not the primary.

Members don't see this ad :)
Sorry not a troll thread, just genuine confusion. She is my cousin and an internist. She clearly remembers being able to read them. I argued with her and thought that you couldn't. It had never even crossed my mind until she brought it up. But if there's no one on here that says you can, then either shes crazy or the application process has changed.

I concur that letters cannot be viewed on AMCAS. Furthermore, this is highly suspicious of being another troll thread. If not, remember that you cannot submit your LORs to AMCAS. They are submitted with your secondary applications, not the primary.

Letters are requested during the secondary applications, but you do submit your LORs through AMCAS. They are not part of the primary and your primary can/will be submitted without them, but schools typically request/require LORs to be submitted via your AMCAS application/account.

No...they are submitted with the AMCAS. They are not needed until the secondary stage (aka you can be verified without LORs), but you have to have your letter writers or your committee send the letter to AMCAS.