Vilcek scholarship vs Geffen scholarship

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

Luckyone1023

5+ Year Member
Reaction score
I have been blessed beyond expectation with offers of full cost of attendance scholarships to both UCLA and NYU, the former just being presented.

I believe I would be thrilled at either program, but am having a hard time deciding

I can figure the NYC vs LA thing on my own, but would like input regarding the specific programs.

Thanks SDN!

Members don't see this ad.

I think we need more details on your career goals, preferences in terms of location, family consideration, SO, etc., otherwise it's just a matter of personal opinion.

Thanks for responding. The truth is I don't have specific career goals. I plan to figure things out as I go. I am not particularly drawn to academic medicine but of course I want to have an impactful career.

I am just out of college with no attachments. Family is in the midwest.

I am leaning toward NYU because I attended second look and enjoyed it. I like the 1.5 preclinical and the opportunity to rotate through Bellevue.

I've spent the last four years in California (loved it!) and recognize that it would be easier to match in California from UCLA, but that goal is not really on my radar right now.

This is a great problem to have, but I need to make a decision pronto!

Last edited:
Obviously, you cant really make a "wrong" decision. If all else fails flip a coin, when the coin is in the air you should have a good sense of where you truly want to go. Congrats on having this dilemma, you must've been a stellar applicant.

Reactions: 1 user
Members don't see this ad :)
As many have said, you can't go wrong with either. But I would advise going to the school that you feel will make you happiest. NYU seems to be the place your heart is set on. Take the opportunity and don't look back!

As many have said, you can't go wrong with either. But I would advise going to the school that you feel will make you happiest. NYU seems to be the place your heart is set on. Take the opportunity and don't look back!

Thanks for the advice. I arrived at precisely the same conclusion