Villanova University vs. University of South Carolina vs. SUNY Binghamton

dag34

5+ Year Member
Reaction score
Hey guys, I've heard different things about each of these schools from different people. I understand that the MCAT and GPA are the most important things. However, I want to hear from people on their thoughts about each school's research opportunities, clinical opportunities, ECs, and things of that nature. I am totally lost at this point.

In terms of cost, my parents say they will pay $20k yearly, which I am extremely thankful for. South Carolina and Binghamton are both $25k yearly, meaning I would only have to take out federal loans ($5,500), which would be awesome. Villanova, on the other hand, is $40k yearly, meaning I would need to take out $15k yearly in private loans.

My parents believe that Nova is the best option of all of them, even with the cost. They say that you "can't put a price on networking." How much of that is true?

Any thoughts would be much appreciated. Thank you so much!

Members don't see this ad.

Last edited:
While there may be a notable difference in networking between Harvard and your community college, I can’t imagine that it would be that big of a difference between Villanova and the other schools (though I’m not particularly knowledgeable about Villanova). Every school has their successful alumni.

I’m from SC so I can speak a little about USC. Did you get into honors? That program is strong and I know a lot of people that are going into next year. They have an early admittance program into the USC med school for honors students. I think it’s also advantageous that there is a med school and teaching hospital so there are opportunities for shadowing, volunteering, research, etc.

Networking is great if you're in business school. As a pre-med, it's not particularly useful.

At Villanova, you could maybe network your way into a financial position at Goldman Sachs, but you're not going to network your way into Harvard Medical School.

Hit the books, engage with your community, reach out to the disadvantaged and underserved, conduct interesting research, pursue your passions... and most importantly, avoid the debt. Choose USC or BU, and do well.

Reactions: 1 user