Virgina Tech dental school

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

Chuckde

10+ Year Member
Reaction score
Does anyone know if they will be opening a dental school soon? A student from my university was telling me about it and said that the class of 2011 will be the first one's accepted. Which is great for me b/c that's when I graduate. I googled this topic but not much came up, was curious if someone might have more information on the new dental school they might open up.

Members don't see this ad.

I will be so happy if they open cuz I am VA resident and only school in VA is VCU.
Plz confirm the info ASAP :D

Members don't see this ad :)
As far as I know that is still only a rumor. No actual building of a dental facility is happening on campus.

And I just checked the VT school website, which says they have a medical school opening in fall 2010. Maybe a dental school will follow soon after?

Yeah, im an undergrad at VCU and I wanna stay in virginia because i am a resident. But would like to perhaps get out of richmond and take a shot at blacksburg.

A friend of mine sounded very confident when he was telling me information about it. He doesn't seem like someone who would bs something like that. I have an appointment with my advisor this thursday, I'll run the question around her and see what I can get

At a meeting a couple months ago, the dean at VCU (who is also president-elect for ADEA) said that is will NOT happen any time in the near future (5+ years). I remember reading that article posted earlier when I was a freshman at VT hoping that I could be the their 2007 entering class! But now I'm a D2 at VCU and love it. Dental school money in VA is pretty tight. I wouldnt get your hopes up!!

Like many other have written this school at VT has been proposed for some time now and has reported opening dates many times. The dates continue to be pushed further back and as far as I know the discussions have basically stopped. I could see it happening after the medical school in Roanoke is completed but then again it was supposed to have been open now for years.