1. Download free Tapatalk for iPhone or Tapatalk for Android for your phone and follow the SDN forums with push notifications.
    Dismiss Notice
Dismiss Notice

Interview Feedback: Visit Interview Feedback to view and submit interview information.

Interviewing Masterclass: Free masterclass on interviewing from SDN and Medical College of Georgia

Dismiss Notice
Hey Texans—join us for a DFW meetup! Click here to learn more.

Virginia Commonwealth University

Discussion in 'Pre-Medical - MD' started by MedicinePunkin, Apr 26, 2002.

1. MedicinePunkin

7+ Year Member

Hello everyone I am new to this forum. I am currently a college freshman getting ready to finish my first year of college. I am currently attending a small private college in Miami (St. Thomas University). I am hoping to transfer to VCU next fall. Do anyone know how good the pre-medical program is their. Will my attending this university strengthen my candidacy for admission into MCV (Medical College of Virginia). Thanks for the information.

2. Note: SDN Members do not see this ad.

3. johnM

johnM Senior Member
    7+ Year Member

You can't really pick your medical school until after you get in, even if you go there for Ugrad and do really well. You just apply to a whole bunch of schools and then pick from those that you get in to (if you're lucky). If the only reason you want to transfer if to improve your chances of admission there for med school, don't bother. Just stay where you are happiest and where you will get the higher GPA.

4. johnM

johnM Senior Member
    7+ Year Member

btw, welcome to SDN!! :) Just don't get addicted to this crap so soon, you have a long way to go!!

5. Amy B

Amy B I miss my son so much
    Moderator Emeritus Lifetime Donor Classifieds Approved 10+ Year Member

Resident [Any Field]
    I am graduating from VCU this May and have been pleased with a lot of my courses. There have been some low spots due to crappy teachers, but they were mostly teachers from other depatrments (ie:art dept). I loved my bacteriology teacher, although he is getting ready to retire.

As to the second part of your question, that remains a mystery. I know alot of out-of-state students got into MCV this year due to budget problems. VCU is also hurting for money, howver unless your a TA or an instructor you might not even notice.

The only benefit to going to VCU and applying to MCV is that they are aware of who the teachers are, so good grades or great recommendations from the VCU. You can also get to know the admissions department and staff members at the hospital if you volunteer of research there.

I am very pleased with the education I have received at VCU. I have learned so much. I think you have to be interested in learning and look for ways to succeed and then I don't think it matters where you go. In other words make your undergraduate years the best they can be. Good luck.
    Amy