Virginia-Maryland CVM c/o 2024

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

Sunshine in a Storm

c/o 2024
5+ Year Member
Reaction score
OOS applicant. 3rd year applying. 1st time to VMCVM.

Members don't see this ad.

I'll be applying to VMCVM as well! 1st time applicant, also OOS. (I'll be applying only OOS everywhere because I'm from RI and unfortunately we have no vet school and no agreements with any other states)

Reactions: 1 user
2nd time applicant ( found out I was very close to waitlisted for an interview) and im pushing all I have into this cycle.

Reactions: 3 users
Members don't see this ad :)
This will be my second time applying, I wish everyone good luck, fun with their VMCAs, and a great summer (or winter if you're in the southern hemisphere)! (I sound like a positive mom)

I need to add that Shelby is the best person I have talked to and not to be afraid to talk to her if you have questions. My review with VMRCVM helped me so much with my application already.

They have new prompts for this year so prepare for 3 essays!

2nd time applicant ( found out I was very close to waitlisted for an interview) and im pushing all I have into this cycle.
I am pushing all I have into this cycle too. Good luck to you! I didn't apply to any schools this last cycle and chose to work on increasing the amount of veterinary experience I have. I also did a 1 year professional master's program 2017-2018. Hopefully, those two combinations are enough to make me a more competitive applicant. The first year I applied I was waitlisted at Michigan State and the second time I applied I was waitlisted at Iowa State. This will be my 3rd year applying, hopefully 3rd time is the charm! I see we are applying to a lot of the same schools, maybe we will end up being classmates.

I'll be applying to VMCVM as well! 1st time applicant, also OOS. (I'll be applying only OOS everywhere because I'm from RI and unfortunately we have no vet school and no agreements with any other states)
I don't have an instate veterinary school either.

Also applying to VMCVM! First time applicant, OOS, non-trad

I need to add that Shelby is the best person I have talked to and not to be afraid to talk to her if you have questions. My review with VMRCVM helped me so much with my application already.

They have new prompts for this year so prepare for 3 essays!

I thought there was only 1 new essay? I guess I'll just have to wait and see.

1st time applying! Maryland in-state!

Hey everyone! First time applying here. Does anyone know if we can test out of the medical terminology requirement? I did contact admissions already but just wanted to see if anyone else had any insight before they get back to me.

Thanks!

Members don't see this ad :)
Is it normal to recieve an email from this college once the application was sent in?

hey guys! did anyone take a medical terminology online class in order to fulfill the school requirement? if so, do you mind telling me which school you took the course from? thanks!

hey guys! did anyone take a medical terminology online class in order to fulfill the school requirement? if so, do you mind telling me which school you took the course from? thanks!

Hi I did! Santa Barbara City College, Basic Medical Terminology. Super easy!

Hello! I'm a OOS, non-trad, first time applicant. Anyone else overwhelmed by the character count of their three essays? Between all my applications I have roughly 18 to write and VMCVM's essays seem to be the most involved :bored:

Hello! I'm a OOS, non-trad, first time applicant. Anyone else overwhelmed by the character count of their three essays? Between all my applications I have roughly 18 to write and VMCVM's essays seem to be the most involved :bored:

I feel you! Though Illinois has an essay with a 9,999 character limit, so I'm freaking out about that one the most!

haven't even started:/ have an o-chem final that is freaking me out atm.

I feel you! Though Illinois has an essay with a 9,999 character limit, so I'm freaking out about that one the most!

Oh man. Maybe it's meant to be open and they didn't want to put a real limit on it?

Oh man. Maybe it's meant to be open and they didn't want to put a real limit on it?

I don't know! When I applied last year, they had the same thing and I think I made it up to 6,000 characters? And I was anxious about not going the full 9,999! And I'm SO excited to do it again (not)

I don't know! When I applied last year, they had the same thing and I think I made it up to 6,000 characters? And I was anxious about not going the full 9,999! And I'm SO excited to do it again (not)

I focused on writing what I wanted to write and ended up around 4,700 characters. I interpreted the 9,999 characters as giving us the opportunity to write however much we wanted to, not as a suggestion. Personally, I didn’t fluff to increase my character count, just said what I wanted to say and called it good :shrug:

Reactions: 1 users
The Illinois one is just so you don’t have to worry about running out of space! And also then if you do citations, you don’t have to worry about space! Mine was NOWHERE near that many characters.

Just applied yesterday! First time applicant, in-state (Maryland). I took a gap year (graduated with my Bachelor's in 2018), worked full time and completed some extra pre-reqs that didn't fit into my schedule in college. Good luck everyone! :)

Hi. When should we hear from Ross? Also, technical forms? What are those? The page 5-6? That needed a signature?

Anyone else get a confirmation email today that started with congratulations? Almost gave me a heart attack. The good news is it sounds like they hope to have interview invites out by mid-November.

Reactions: 6 users
Anyone else get a confirmation email today that started with congratulations? Almost gave me a heart attack. The good news is it sounds like they hope to have interview invites out by mid-November.

Yes- and my friend and I definitely had a heart attack

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

*Tries not to look into "Congratulations" too much* :lol:

Also got this e-mail and nearly choked on my coffee at "Congratulations" :dead:

• Haha
"Once that is finished, we will have selected about 320 students to participate in the interview process. Interviewees will be notified in mid to late November if you are selected to participate in interviews, which take place the weekend of January 18th and 19th 2020."
(Im)patiently waiting to hear. Does anyone have an idea of the # of interviewees from each demographic (IS/OOS)? I'm guessing the number includes all three but I'm IS so I'm curious how much that changes things.

"Once that is finished, we will have selected about 320 students to participate in the interview process. Interviewees will be notified in mid to late November if you are selected to participate in interviews, which take place the weekend of January 18th and 19th 2020."
(Im)patiently waiting to hear. Does anyone have an idea of the # of interviewees from each demographic (IS/OOS)? I'm guessing the number includes all three but I'm IS so I'm curious how much that changes things.
To answer my own question: out of 120 MD applicants they interview about half (60) for 30 spots. VA was 72/197 for 55 spots. OOS was 204/1126 for 42 spots. This was 2015-2016 so not super up to date.

For anyone who needed their scores adjusted the hard working Ms.Jenkins is working on that!! I feel for CSU and VM because they try to review everything

For anyone who needed their scores adjusted the hard working Ms.Jenkins is working on that!! I feel for CSU and VM because they try to review everything
Wait, what scores are you talking about? Which ones may need to be adjusted?

Wait, what scores are you talking about? Which ones may need to be adjusted?
If you retook courses that qualified for replacement I think its 7or 10 years before application time for Virginia

Last edited:
It's technically the middle of November, right? :nailbiting: I don't think I can take it if they don't email by the 20th.

It's technically the middle of November, right? :nailbiting: I don't think I can take it if they don't email by the 20th.

I know, the wait is hard! Looking at threads from previous years though, it looks like invites went out closer to early December :(

I know, the wait is hard! Looking at threads from previous years though, it looks like invites went out closer to early December :(
Yeah, they said midNovember in the email so I had hope :(

In the email Shelby sent me in October, she said it would be mid-late November. I feel like the whole waiting game for vet schools is the most nerve-wracking part of the process lol

In the email Shelby sent me in October, she said it would be mid-late November. I feel like the whole waiting game for vet schools is the most nerve-wracking part of the process lol
Agreed. Can we just fast forward to April, please.

This thread is so quiet! I'm jealous of the pre-law and pre-(human)med students.
Anyone interested in talking about why they applied?
Plz share your gushing with me.

For me, I like the curriculum, very interested in research (so the Public/Corportate track is great, but even if I switch tracks there are so many options), and am IS (MD)
For curriculum, they have a pass/fail curriculum, which is integrative competency based. It's very collaborative and allows early hands on experience & entry into clinics.
Also literally the nicest people! Shelby will read your essays and give feedback and is overall super helpful - I know she has connected people to pre-vet experiences who aren't even applying to vg-md.

Reactions: 2 users
This thread is so quiet! I'm jealous of the pre-law and pre-(human)med students.
Anyone interested in talking about why they applied?
Plz share your gushing with me.

For me, I like the curriculum, very interested in research (so the Public/Corportate track is great, but even if I switch tracks there are so many options), and am IS (MD)
For curriculum, they have a pass/fail curriculum, which is integrative competency based. It's very collaborative and allows early hands on experience & entry into clinics.
Also literally the nicest people! Shelby will read your essays and give feedback and is overall super helpful - I know she has connected people to pre-vet experiences who aren't even applying to vg-md.
I also really like the curriculum, since you get to choose small, mixed, or large & focus on it from the beginning. It's relatively close to home for me, I'm from PA. And I have family in VA.