Virginia-Maryland vs Penn

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

prevet2023

Reaction score
Hello! I have been accepted to both Virginia-Maryland and PennVet I am very grateful for this but it is a very hard decision for me. I am most interested in ambulatory large animal medicine but also have an interest in pathology. I do plan to visit. What was the deciding factor for people who chose each school? I really loved each school and am trying to figure out how to decide between the two. Any thoughts would be very much appreciated! Thank you :)

Members don't see this ad.

Members don't see this ad :)
It's a no brainer....Virginia-Maryland. Unless you are receiving a significant scholarship for Penn, it's almost $200k more expensive to go to Penn than VAMD.

Reactions: 1 user
Besides money, the two schools are extremely different in the location. Penn is in center city Philly. VT is very suburban/rural. This is a factor in housing/rent, commuting, and general access to stores, food, etc. Penn also doesn’t have the typical D1 school sports atmosphere. Not sure if that’s a factor for you but VT has more school culture.

Penn was my in state this past cycle but my family moved mid cycle so VT will be my instate next app so I’ve looked deeply into both. I really like Penn for the research aspect but I truly hate the city of Philly because I find it very dirty with a high crime rate and would be much happier in a college town. It’s all up to the person though- I’ve never been a fan of big cities

Hello! I have been accepted to both Virginia-Maryland and PennVet I am very grateful for this but it is a very hard decision for me. I am most interested in ambulatory large animal medicine but also have an interest in pathology. I do plan to visit. What was the deciding factor for people who chose each school? I really loved each school and am trying to figure out how to decide between the two. Any thoughts would be very much appreciated! Thank you :)
I’m a first year at VMCVM — I’m interested in equine medicine and also love pathology. We have path rounds every friday where we can go and learn about the cases that week, we also are integrated into pathology early on (perform a fullish necropsy your first semester). As a large animal/equine person, we have rounds in the LA hospital once a week, mare palpations in the fall, cattle palpations every saturday with food animal club, and have the opportunity to sign up for on call shifts with the ambulatory equine field services. A big difference for us is our large animal hospital is a 5 minute walk throughout the building, where as penn it’s a significant drive every time you want to go get experience. We have a
cow teaching herd right behind the school (literally) and a horse teaching herd about 5
minutes away!

I’m a first year at VMCVM — I’m interested in equine medicine and also love pathology. We have path rounds every friday where we can go and learn about the cases that week, we also are integrated into pathology early on (perform a fullish necropsy your first semester). As a large animal/equine person, we have rounds in the LA hospital once a week, mare palpations in the fall, cattle palpations every saturday with food animal club, and have the opportunity to sign up for on call shifts with the ambulatory equine field services. A big difference for us is our large animal hospital is a 5 minute walk throughout the building, where as penn it’s a significant drive every time you want to go get experience. We have a
cow teaching herd right behind the school (literally) and a horse teaching herd about 5
minutes away!
This is really helpful! Thank you so much!