Aug 10, 2010
Status
Medical Student
I have been accepted to EVMS as an OOS applicant. However, I do not like the idea of paying $55K a year in tuition. I've heard that although changing residency status in Virginia is nearly impossible, it can happen. If my wife and I move there and she obtains residency status, would that qualify me for Virginia residency status for tuition purposes as well? Any help would be great! (i know the first year i'd have to pay the 55k, but i'm curious bout year 2-4)

Jul 11, 2009
Status
Medical Student
I have been accepted to EVMS as an OOS applicant. However, I do not like the idea of paying $55K a year in tuition. I've heard that although changing residency status in Virginia is nearly impossible, it can happen. If my wife and I move there and she obtains residency status, would that qualify me for Virginia residency status for tuition purposes as well? Any help would be great! (i know the first year i'd have to pay the 55k, but i'm curious bout year 2-4)
At my VCU interview they also said it was nearly impossible to change residency status in VA if you start your first year as OOS, and even things like marrying a VA resident wouldn't help.

werd

15+ Year Member
Feb 13, 2004
Visit site
Status
Attending Physician
i believe the dilly is you have to live in virginia for 2 years for non-educational purposes before you can get in-state tuition rates. this really isn't in the cards for most med students.

OP
B
Aug 10, 2010
Status
Medical Student
i believe the dilly is you have to live in virginia for 2 years for non-educational purposes before you can get in-state tuition rates. this really isn't in the cards for most med students.
What if my wife lives there without going to school for two years and gets residency. Would that qualify me for residency as well?

mvenus929

10+ Year Member
Jul 6, 2006
Status
Fellow [Any Field]
I know at UVA, if you marry a Virginia resident, you will get Virginia residency status, but I'm not sure what would happen if you were already married, and I'm not sure if this would translate to EVMS as well.

OrangeandMaroon

5+ Year Member
7+ Year Member
Jul 9, 2010
Taken from the Virginia Law (UVa) website. I realize this might not transfer directly to EVMS or medical school but it does provide some context.

Best of luck and congratulations on the acceptance.

To help prospective students sort through the complexities of establishing Virginia domicile to qualify for in-state educational privileges, the Committee on Virginia Status has provided the following general descriptive information. This material is not all inclusive; you may need to inquire about your specific circumstances with the Committee. Nothing in this publication is intended to amend existing law or policy with respect to eligibility for in-state status.

Q: What rules and procedures govern who is considered an "in-state" student?
A: Section 23-7.4 of the Code of Virginia and its attendant guidelines outline the requirements that you must meet to be classified as "in-state" for educational purposes.

Q: What is domicile?
A: "Domicile" is the present, fixed home of an individual to which one returns following temporary absences and at which one intends to remain indefinitely. The domicile of a dependent or a minor is presumed to be that of the parent(s).

Q: How long must I be domiciled in Virginia before I can be considered "in-state"?
A: A student, parent(s) or spouse must be domiciled in Virginia for at least 12 continuous months immediately preceding the first day of classes. This means the student parent(s) or spouse must actually reside in Virginia during this period while simultaneously demonstrating their intent to be domiciled in Virginia. Intent is demonstrated by, among other things, paying resident taxes to Virginia, obtaining a Virginia driver's license, car & voter registrations.

Q: Who can be considered a dependent student?
A: Any student who is listed as a dependent on tax returns of parents or legal guardians or who receives substantial financial support from them. A married student whose spouse provides substantial financial support also can be a dependent student.

Q: What is substantial financial support?
A: "Substantial financial support" means more than 50 percent.

Q: Who is a legal guardian for purposes of domiciliary status?
A: A legal guardian is someone with personal or financial responsibility for a minor and who has been appointed by a court. NOTE: You must provide verification of the court appointment, that the appointment was not for in-state tuition purposes and that the parents do not contribute to student's support.

Q: Can I establish "in-state" status while I am a student?
A: If you are a dependent and your parent(s) or spouse moves to Virginia while you are in school and fulfills the requirements of domicile, you should petition for a change of status effective 12 months after the move. If you entered classified as an out-of-state student, you must present clear and convincing evidence to rebut the presumption that you are residing in the State primarily to attend school. Residence or physical presence in Virginia primarily to attend the University does not entitle you to in-state tuition rates.

Q: When may I apply for in-state status?
A: Applications must be submitted with the application for admission, or in the case of a currently enrolled student, at least 30 days prior to the term for which in-state privileges are sought.

Source=http://www.law.virginia.edu/html/prospectives/prospectives.htm

MacVA

10+ Year Member
Aug 28, 2008
Status
Non-Student

Something I have alot of knowledge of.
Changing residency is very difficult in this state but luckily you have an "out" to gain it. Your wife needs to get a job in the state of Virginia and apply for State Residency IMMEDIATELY. She needs to get a license, register cars etc. in Virginia. I believe she can apply after 12 months of working in Virginia. However, from experience, the in state residency application can take months to process. If you are sure you want to go to EVMS... I would have her start looking for jobs here...

Make darn sure that EVMS will attempt to let you file for in state residency at some point during your schooling years. Some instate schools STRICTLY prohibit it...

Source: My brother and his wife did the same thing.