Virginia Resident, 3.5 GPA and 30 MCAT

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

dvsp0s3r

7+ Year Member
Reaction score
x

Members don't see this ad.

Last edited:
You have a pretty solid cookie-cutter resume. Upward trend is great, 3.6gpa is good, 30 balanced MCAT is a solid score. Invest in the MSAR and apply broadly to schools around your range. Make sure you apply as early as you can, get those letter of recommendations in early, pour your heart and soul into those secondaries and your personal statement, practice interviewing, and by this time next year you should be sitting on a few acceptances. Good luck!

Don't do a SMP and spend $40,000 and however many years it is, go DO. The difference in the two letters is absolutely not worth $40,000 + 1 year of attending physician salary. You have nice stats for DO and can apply to the top DO programs. I would apply to 10 DO schools and 10 lower-tier MDs: here's what my list would look like:

DOs:
10 of your favorites (review the list of DO schools and apply to any with missions or locations that interest you

MDs:
EVMA
VCU
VTech
Rosalind Franklin
Quinnipiac
NYMC
Albany
Drexel
Temple
Tufts

Members don't see this ad :)
I think you'll have decent chances at:

Rush
NYMC
Creighton
Albany
Rosy Franklin
Drexel
Temple
Loma Linda (but read their list of don'ts)
MCW
St. Louis U
Jefferson
Creighton
Tulane
Loyola
GWU
Georgetown
Tufts
U Miami
Wake Forest
EVMS
VCU
All new MD programs, except Hofstra or Va Tech.
Any DO program (but I can't recommend LUCOM).

I don't think you'll have any luck with U VA.

Hello SDN!

I hope to apply this upcoming 2015 cycle. My cGPA and science GPA are both about 3.5, and my MCAT is 30 (10/10/10). I am a Virginia Resident and go to a Virginia school. Low GPA freshman year, and a strong upward trend to about 3.8 GPA afterwards and will be graduating with around 3.6 GPA but not applying with it.

Activities:
-volunteered with an organization for 4 years in college with leadership role
-undergrad research for 1.5 years
-summer health internship
-shadowed docs for ~100 hours
-volunteered at free clinic
-clinical hospital hours ~300 hours
-teaching assistant for organic chemistry course
-medical trip to Ghana

I would hope to attend an allopathic school, do I have any advice on my chances for MD for the 2015 cycle. Anything lacking that I should work on right now to improve my application? I also have strong ties to North Carolina. Which schools should I apply to and which schools do I have a high chance of getting in. I will also be applying to a few SMP and Post-Bacc programs as well.

Thank You!

Reactions: 1 user
You definately have a chance at allo if that is the route you want to go, so long as you apply broadly. I would hold off of SMP and post-bacc until you have gone through the cycle. Make sure you have good LOR's, Do well on secondary essays, and get your apps in early. I think West Virginia may be a good school to add too.

Absolutely do NOT take a SMP (or post-bacc) if your GPAs are in the 3.5 range! These programs are designed for people with GPAs barely over a 3.0.