Virginia schools

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

XRanger

15+ Year Member
Reaction score
Hey can anyone just tell me a little bit about virginia schools especially VCU and University of Virginia.
I'm an OOS student and never been to virginia. I'm sure both are great schools, but how about the location? can anyone tell me about the campus and the surrounding city.

I tried searching for VCU but I think the search function doesn't work for 3 characters.

Members don't see this ad.

Hey can anyone just tell me a little bit about virginia schools especially VCU and University of Virginia.
I'm an OOS student and never been to virginia. I'm sure both are great schools, but how about the location? can anyone tell me about the campus and the surrounding city.

I tried searching for VCU but I think the search function doesn't work for 3 characters.

Well, not having attended either, I can't tell you much about campus. What I can tell you is that the two, though fairly close geographically (if measured in farmland), are very distinct (both are considered to be in the Piedmont region, i.e. the middle, hilly area). Richmond, where VCU is located, is probably our most urban-esque city, and an hour and a half away from a popular beach. Charlottesville is nestled away in the hills, but an hour from Washington, DC and not far at all from hiking/mountain views. What Charlottesville has a lot of is character. Lots of small, privately-owned restaurants, historic buildings, etc. Richmond also has its fair share of the same, but I think you'll find it quite a different atmosphere.

Amusingly, I'm a lot more useful everywhere but the middle of the state. :laugh:

Last edited:
Hey, I just finished undergrad at UVA. I interviewed at both and have been to Richmond on other occasions, so I'll try and give you what I can.

Charlottesville is your typical college town and students drive a lot of the business in the area. It's nominally a city, but definitely doesn't feel like one, especially in the area that the school itself is located (i.e. the more city-ish part of town is about a mile from the medical school). There is a reasonable amount of stuff to do within walking distance of the med school and grounds (UVA-speak for campus) but if you don't take some trips over to the downtown mall area, you're missing out on some good stuff. If you want to avoid undergrads, it's pretty easy because the med school is largely separated from the rest of the University. The nursing school is next door and so you'll see them as well as students whose classes happen to be held in their building. You'll also see biomedical engineering students (woo!) whose department is located next door to the med school.

Richmond is definitely a city and VCU is located right in the middle of it, although the MCV campus is a fair piece away from the rest of VCU. When I was there, I noticed a distinct lack of restaurants in the immediate vicinity, which my student interviewer verified. One thing that is immediately obvious is that VCU serves a poorer population (in fact, I think it has a program geared towards students interested in helping undeserved populations, but don't quote me on that).

When I was there, I noticed a distinct lack of restaurants in the immediate vicinity, which my student interviewer verified.

In the immediate vicinity of the MCV hospitals, yes, but the only people who live in the immediate vicinity are living in on-campus housing. Not pretty.

Most students live in one of a few places: The Fan, which borders VCU undergrad on one edge and is loaded with corner bar restaurants; the West End, which is old growth whitebread suburbia; Shockoe Slip/Bottom, which is down by the river and loaded with bars/clubs/restaurants; Church Hill, which is incredibly mixed (i.e. lovingly restored antebellum homes one block from crackhouse); Southside, which I never went to, but it sounded pretty boring; and far west (as in Innsbruck), which is mostly yuppies employed by Capital One and Circuit City.

scgamer2000 said:
One thing that is immediately obvious is that VCU serves a poorer population

IMHO this is MCV's number one strength: you will get your hands dirty.