VTC vs. UVM

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.
D

deleted1063459

post closed

Members don't see this ad.

Last edited by a moderator:
I don't know about SW Virginia being less desirable than Burlington, that's debatable. If interested in competitive specialties, UVM is a better choice. If not, I'd lean toward VTC for many of the reasons you stated including lower cost and better weather.

Reactions: 1 users
I don't know about SW Virginia being less desirable than Burlington, that's debatable. If interested in competitive specialties, UVM is a better choice. If not, I'd lean toward VTC for many of the reasons you stated including lower cost and better weather.
Do you mind sharing the differences between the locations? Since interviews were online, I def couldn't see either cities. What I do know so far is that burlington is more a college town, they have a neat downtown area, and area has a higher density of younger folk which I prefer whereas Roanoke seemed less student/young person friendly. Both have a great outdoors scene and beautiful in their own right but I think burlington still edges Roanoke out in this aspect too. I also have the impression that SW Virginia may be a lot more conservative compared to where I'm from which also makes me hesistant (though I could be totally off base with this).

Congrats on being accepted to both! I interviewed at both and was accepted to Vermont and will likely be there this fall. Here are my thoughts.

--If you're absolutely committed to doing publishable quality research during med school, then it won't matter where you go because you'll make that happen on your own accords regardless of school. VTC just sets that foundational framework there for you which can be a great thing (or a bad thing because it is required during certain semesters for X amount of time). I have a heavy reserach background post undergrad (chemistry) and even though I'd like to continue in med school, there is something to be said for the flexibility to do it when you want (UVM) vs required at certain times (VTC). Just my thoughts though. One minor point you mentioned about VTC, you don't have to do research at the main Virginia tech school 30 min away, there are research opportunities right at the school/hospital itself
--I didn't get a chance to talk to any VTC students, but the students I've talked to (current and past) from UVM all say nothing short of excellent things about the program, curriculum and faculty. A good friend of ours graduated there last year and she loved all four years. She said the curriculum really is a flipped classroom with active learning style discussions (PBL, CBL, workshops, etc) throughout the week and it's very hands on. I live in NH but haven't been up to Burlington yet, all I can say is the area in general is beautiful and if you like anything outdoors like hiking you're in a perfect spot between the Adirondack mountains and white mountains.

Lastly, I wouldn't worry too much about the rankings. There both great programs and where you match will be much more based on your clinical performance, letters of rec, research, etc than "ranking" of the school. This comes from conversations with several friends in medical field, one of which is a doctor who went to the caribbean for school and is now a resident at a top 10 school. I think VTC's match rate is because of their guaranteed research experience and I know the school really critiques your residency application and helps make it oustanding before sending out.

Good luck making the decison! I dont think you can make a bad one.

Members don't see this ad :)
Do you mind sharing the differences between the locations? Since interviews were online, I def couldn't see either cities. What I do know so far is that burlington is more a college town, they have a neat downtown area, and area has a higher density of younger folk which I prefer whereas Roanoke seemed less student/young person friendly. Both have a great outdoors scene and beautiful in their own right but I think burlington still edges Roanoke out in this aspect too. I also have the impression that SW Virginia may be a lot more conservative compared to where I'm from which also makes me hesistant (though I could be totally off base with this).
I'm sure Burlington is great. Just so, so cold.

Reactions: 1 user
I'd lean Tech because of the cost, your preference for a smaller more personalized class size, and your interests in heavy research. As a city, Richmond is certainly liberal anyways (surrounding areas of VA aren't, but it's moving more that way). I think these outweigh Burlington's location
VCU is in Richmond and VTC is in Roanoke which is much different I think, but your other points are all super valid. Thanks!

Congrats on being accepted to both! I interviewed at both and was accepted to Vermont and will likely be there this fall. Here are my thoughts.

--If you're absolutely committed to doing publishable quality research during med school, then it won't matter where you go because you'll make that happen on your own accords regardless of school. VTC just sets that foundational framework there for you which can be a great thing (or a bad thing because it is required during certain semesters for X amount of time). I have a heavy reserach background post undergrad (chemistry) and even though I'd like to continue in med school, there is something to be said for the flexibility to do it when you want (UVM) vs required at certain times (VTC). Just my thoughts though. One minor point you mentioned about VTC, you don't have to do research at the main Virginia tech school 30 min away, there are research opportunities right at the school/hospital itself
--I didn't get a chance to talk to any VTC students, but the students I've talked to (current and past) from UVM all say nothing short of excellent things about the program, curriculum and faculty. A good friend of ours graduated there last year and she loved all four years. She said the curriculum really is a flipped classroom with active learning style discussions (PBL, CBL, workshops, etc) throughout the week and it's very hands on. I live in NH but haven't been up to Burlington yet, all I can say is the area in general is beautiful and if you like anything outdoors like hiking you're in a perfect spot between the Adirondack mountains and white mountains.

Lastly, I wouldn't worry too much about the rankings. There both great programs and where you match will be much more based on your clinical performance, letters of rec, research, etc than "ranking" of the school. This comes from conversations with several friends in medical field, one of which is a doctor who went to the caribbean for school and is now a resident at a top 10 school. I think VTC's match rate is because of their guaranteed research experience and I know the school really critiques your residency application and helps make it oustanding before sending out.

This is really insightful especially about the active learning and the perspective about the flexibility! I guess the only con with vermont taking that into account is less engineering focused research, cost, and weather but everything else is suggests vermont.

Grogu is correct. VTCSOM is connected to the Fralin Biomedical Research Institute (FBRI). They are housed in the same building, just on opposite sides. While you may be able to do research at VT's main campus in Blacksburg, many/most of the medical students do research in-house. I am currently an undergraduate in one of the FBRI labs and have seen a number of medical students work in the lab I work in, as well as those around them. So, your commute for research really would be less than 5 minutes from your lecture hall.

Congratulations on both of your acceptances!

Thanks for the responses everyone. Majority of the votes are leaning VTC. is this primarily due to the CoA difference? Or do you believe that VTC's strengths shine more than Vermont's? Maybe vermonts just too cold 😅

You could always call the school and ask to speak with some current M1 and M4s in the program. That's what I would do if I was between two programs

You could always call the school and ask to speak with some current M1 and M4s in the program. That's what I would do if I was between two programs
Thanks! Good idea, and congratulations on vermont! We may be classmates!

I will be attending VTC this upcoming cycle and am quite biased being from Roanoke/ dreaming of VTC since I was 14... But am an open book regarding the program and location, so feel free to ask away!

One of the previous comments is correct about research. Students rarely travel to Blacksburg for research due to the number of opportunities between RMH and FBRI, but you may be a unique case with your engineering interest. There is a PhD program called TBMH associated with VTC, allowing for quite a bit of collaboration there as well.

Regarding location, I can't speak to Burlington, as I've never been there, but Richmond and Roanoke are night and day from each other. I absolutely would call Richmond rough and maybe even somewhat unsafe, having traveled to Richmond last month and hearing gunshots outside my hotel window. Roanoke is very much the opposite -- safe environment and erring on the side of boring if you aren't into outdoor activities. Roanoke is without a doubt not for everyone. It doesn't have the craziest night life (even though I always have a good time downtown) and is absolutely by no means a ~large~ city. Instead, I think the best way to describe it is like a hippie/ coffee shopesque/ southern city.

Regardless, congratulations!! You have 2 incredible options, and I promise you can't go wrong either way :)

I will be attending VTC this upcoming cycle and am quite biased being from Roanoke/ dreaming of VTC since I was 14... But am an open book regarding the program and location, so feel free to ask away!

One of the previous comments is correct about research. Students rarely travel to Blacksburg for research due to the number of opportunities between RMH and FBRI, but you may be a unique case with your engineering interest. There is a PhD program called TBMH associated with VTC, allowing for quite a bit of collaboration there as well.

Regarding location, I can't speak to Burlington, as I've never been there, but Richmond and Roanoke are night and day from each other. I absolutely would call Richmond rough and maybe even somewhat unsafe, having traveled to Richmond last month and hearing gunshots outside my hotel window. Roanoke is very much the opposite -- safe environment and erring on the side of boring if you aren't into outdoor activities. Roanoke is without a doubt not for everyone. It doesn't have the craziest night life (even though I always have a good time downtown) and is absolutely by no means a ~large~ city. Instead, I think the best way to describe it is like a hippie/ coffee shopesque/ southern city.

Regardless, congratulations!! You have 2 incredible options, and I promise you can't go wrong either way :)
Thanks! Do you know anything about #/quality of clinical research opportunities at RMH since before VTCSOM was built, the hospital was a community hospital as opposed to am academic affiliated institution?

Two of my interests include anesthesiology and radiology. VTCSOM doesn't have home residencies for these specialties. Should that be something worth considering in terms of shadowing and mentorship/connection building?

Thanks! Do you know anything about #/quality of clinical research opportunities at RMH since before VTCSOM was built, the hospital was a community hospital as opposed to am academic affiliated institution?

Two of my interests include anesthesiology and radiology. VTCSOM doesn't have home residencies for these specialties. Should that be something worth considering in terms of shadowing and mentorship/connection building?
Will defer to others more knowledgeable, but I would think you'd want your selected school to at least have home programs in the specialties you are serious about. Residency programs to which you apply might be unfamiliar with students coming from your school if the school lacks a program in that specialty. My 2 cents.

Thanks for the responses everyone. Majority of the votes are leaning VTC. is this primarily due to the CoA difference? Or do you believe that VTC's strengths shine more than Vermont's? Maybe vermonts just too cold 😅
Looks like it's 50% / 50% on the poll. Two pretty even options maybe.

• Hmm