Virginia Tech Carilion VS. UTRGV

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.
Reaction score
Howdy!

I am glad to be in the position to decide between these two schools and I am torn.

At the end of the day, I believe Virginia Tech would put me in a better position to match in to a specialty I might decide on later down the road. However, the thing that is stopping me from pulling the trigger is the cost. UTRGV would be ~$17k in tuition a year while Tech would be ~$50k a year (with their respective scholarships).

I'm not sure what specialty I want to go in to, but Virginia Tech has a great match list and their emphasis on research would likely give me a better chance with Match. I am just not sure if the substantial cost difference over the four years ($132k) is worth it? Beyond that, Virginia Tech has slightly more of a reputation because it has been around a bit longer, and with Step 1 going P/F I am worried residencies will look at reputation/past graduates. Should I factor in the relative costs in this scenario when deciding where to go?

Thanks and I appreciate any advice y'all may have.

Members don't see this ad.

UTRGV! VTC may be a bit more established, with some great research opportunities, but I don’t think VTC is worth the extra $. It’s still a relatively young school without much of a reputation. You can always try to research at one of the other Texas schools or through one of the specialty specific organizations in the summer. Going to UTRGV might also help you match into Texas if that appeals to you. Have you asked VTC to match the tuition rate?

Reactions: 1 user
This is a tough choice, as I agree that VTC would probably give you a bit of a leg up on the match because of how research is incorporated into their curriculum, however, the money difference is probably worth the small bit of extra effort you you would have to put in at UTRGV to have the same outcome. UTRGV will give you a big leg up in matching in Texas, as the poster above mentions. Personally I would pick UTRGV for the Texas opportunities and cost.

UTRGV! VTC may be a bit more established, with some great research opportunities, but I don’t think VTC is worth the extra $. It’s still a relatively young school without much of a reputation. You can always try to research at one of the other Texas schools or through one of the specialty specific organizations in the summer. Going to UTRGV might also help you match into Texas if that appeals to you. Have you asked VTC to match the tuition rate?

I had no idea you could ask them to match the tuition rate.... How often does that happen?

Members don't see this ad :)
This is a tough choice, as I agree that VTC would probably give you a bit of a leg up on the match because of how research is incorporated into their curriculum, however, the money difference is probably worth the small bit of extra effort you you would have to put in at UTRGV to have the same outcome. UTRGV will give you a big leg up in matching in Texas, as the poster above mentions. Personally I would pick UTRGV for the Texas opportunities and cost.

I wasn't really aware that going to a Texas school gives a leg up in matching in Texas so thank you for that input! I will say that is good advice about if I chose to go to UTRGV I would have to make sure that I put in a lot of work to stand out. Thanks, again!

Choose UTRGV not only for the affordability but climate, diverse patient population, AND you have the opportunity to do research at STDOI. VT doesn't have any of those. I would heavily get yourself involved with research at STDOI (UTRGV | SOM STDOI)

Hey, VTC M3 here. I promise to do my best not to be biased. I will say, in regards to the last post (not throwing shade!! Just saying what I’ve experienced and also I luv u) that shadowing opportunities, RESEARCH, and individual student care here are top notch. This school has 49 students per class...compared to a larger school you will have zero problems finding shadowing or research opportunities. I currently have 2 publications and 2 ongoing projects and that’s about average for a student here, plus we all receive a graduate research certificate and are paired to a PI of our choosing for a publishable manuscript. Cost of living is easy, I currently pay $350 a month in a nice house with two roommates. Our residency reputation has gone up this year, and our new Step 1 average is 242. HOWEVER, this price difference you are speaking of is substantial. I know nothing about UTRGV (hopefully someone from there can comment), but that is definitely tempting. The truth is, no one knows how step 1 p/f is going to effect residencies. My best advice is to go the school that you will enjoy living at for 4 years. Remember, you will live in this place for the most difficult (and rewarding) 4 years of your life.