Dismiss Notice
SDN members see fewer ads and full resolution images. Join our non-profit community!

Virginia Tech Shooting

Discussion in 'Pre-Medical - MD' started by AlphaQUp, Apr 16, 2007.

1. AlphaQUp

Pre-Health (Field Undecided)
    My thoughts and prayers go out for those of you at Virginia Tech this morning.

2. Thread continues after this sponsor message. SDN Members do not see this ad.

3. sirus_virus

sirus_virus nonsense poster

Non-Student
    what the hell is the deal with all these school shootings. If people don't like school, thay can just stay their asses at home.

4. bigdan

bigdan SDN Donor

Attending Physician
    Alpha-

I echo your sentiments; my condolences to the students and families at VT.

dc

5. eternalrage

eternalrage Even Kal has bad days...

Resident [Any Field]
    For those who are unaware:

http://www.cnn.com/2007/US/04/16/vtech.shooting/index.html

"(CNN) -- A lone gunman is dead after police said he killed at least 21 people Monday during twin shootings on the Virginia Tech campus -- the worst school shooting incident in U.S. history.

"Some victims were shot in a classroom," university police Chief Wendell Flinchum said during a news conference in Blacksburg.

Police believe there was only one gunman, Flinchum said.

"Today the university was struck with a tragedy that we consider of monumental proportions," said university President Charles Steger. "The university is shocked and indeed horrified." (Map of Blacksburg)

The attacks mark the worst school shooting incident in U.S. history. In 1999, Dylan Klebold and Eric Harris killed 12 students and a teacher before killing themselves at Columbine High School in Littleton, Colorado.

The Associated Press quoted officials saying more than 20 were wounded. A hospital spokeswoman told AP that 17 Virginia Tech students were being treated for gunshot wounds and other injuries.

Sharon Honaker at the Carilion New River Valley Medical Center told CNN that four patients had been transported there, one in critical condition.

One person was killed and others were wounded at multiple locations inside a dormitory about 7:15 a.m., Flinchum said. Two hours later, another shooting at Norris Hall, the engineering science and mechanics building, resulted in multiple casualties, the university reported. (Watch police, ambulances hustle to the scene )

The first reported shooting occurred at West Ambler Johnston Hall, a four-story co-ed dormitory that houses 895 students. The dormitory, one of the largest residence halls on the 2,600-acre campus, is located near the drill field and stadium...."

6. KaraKiz

KaraKiz I'm Ron Burgundy?

Medical Student
    My prayers are with the victims and their families and for everyone on that campus today who feared for their lives. I wish no one would ever have to experience something as horrible as this.

7. NotquiteTypeA

NotquiteTypeA You gotta be a lil crazy!

Pre-Medical
    My thoughts and prayers are also with those students, faculty and their families today. What is the world coming to??

8. armybound

armybound future urologist.
    Physician Moderator Emeritus

Resident [Any Field]
    I'm sorry for your losses.

9. youngnflyy

youngnflyy Member

Pre-Medical
    I'd like to lend my condolences as well.

10. mongrel

mongrel Assoc. Prof. Dogsuit

Medical Student
    My condolences as well. How terrible.

And a lingering question- how does someone on foot so efficiently kill 22 people and wound many many more before anything is done? That is certainly chilling.

11. DrBubbles

Resident [Any Field]
    My thoughts are also with the victims and their friends and families.

12. hyperbaric

hyperbaric Cool under pressure.

Attending Physician
    My thoughts and prayers go out to everyone involved.

13. ?DreamsRMadeOf

Banned

To the victims, families, and VT, I am deeply saddened by the news of this senseless tragedy. You have my heartfelt condolences. God Bless.

14. DrBowtie

DrBowtie Final Countdown
    Moderator Emeritus

Resident [Any Field]
  15. DoctaJay

DoctaJay bone breaker
    Moderator Emeritus

Fellow [Any Field]
    I am truly praying for the families also.

In regard to your question; the correspondants on CNN were asking the same questions. From what was said, it seems like the first shooting took place at one dorm, and all the cops and swat teams were at that location. I guess somehow the gunmen had shot the first location up and left before the police arrived. So by the time gunman began to shoot at the 2nd location the cops had to rush across Drillfield to get there. I'm sure that there was alot of confusion and that the full true story will come out later, but I just hope that the families of students affected can find a way to cope with their losses.

16. Thread continues after this sponsor message. SDN Members do not see this ad.

17. ItOnlyTakesOne

ItOnlyTakesOne un.be.lieve.able

Medical Student
    I'd like to echo the previous statements. My heart goes out to the students, staff, and their families at VT. What a senseless tragedy...

18. sully677

Pre-Medical
    Prayers from Pepperdine...nobody deserves this

19. tacrum43

tacrum43 Behold the mighty echidna

Resident [Any Field]
    Wow. Unbelievable. I've been praying too.

20. armybound

Resident [Any Field]
    If your school is like mine, the science & engineering buildings are huge and cumbersome to exit. The classrooms are also filled with a lot of people, usually 30-120 per class. Shooting a large number of people, unfortunately, wouldn't be that difficult, given the population density inside an academic building like that.

It also goes without saying that these students are not allowed to be armed on campus, even if they hold a concealed carry permit. They had absolutely no way of defending themselves. Police responses take time.

21. DrBowtie

DrBowtie Final Countdown
    Moderator Emeritus

Resident [Any Field]
    Updated to 31 confirmed dead. :(

22. happy snake

Medical Student
    Prayers and my deepest condolences to all of you in Virginia Tech. Let's pray the numbers don't climb any higher.

23. karmega5

karmega5 MS2

Medical Student
    More condolences and prayers for all those involved. So tragic that anyone feels that something like this is their only option.

24. HumbleMD

HumbleMD hmmmm...

Resident [Any Field]
    I can't believe George W. Bush is using this time to support less gun control. Seriously, it is not the time. Poor form.

25. bball25

bball25 Junior Member

Medical Student
    This is truly tragic...I personally want to lend my prayers and condolences to the victims, their families, and friends as well as the students who will have to muster up the strength to go on after such a horrific event. God Bless.

26. microgal

microgal NYC's Finest

Pre-Medical
    So awful. Who knew school was so dangerous...I'm getting nervous about being back on a campus in August:( This is just unbelievable.

27. Haemulon

Haemulon Slippery When Wet
    Moderator Emeritus

Resident [Any Field]
    Although i'm not sure specifically what you are talking about, I would agree that this would not be the time for that. So lets have such a discussion in a different thread from this. I am sure that you can understand that your post may be interpreted as reflecting a particular position as well.

29. McSnubbs

Medical Student
    Truly unbelievable. I just graduated this past May - all my love for fellow Hokies.

30. DoctaJay

DoctaJay bone breaker
    Moderator Emeritus

Fellow [Any Field]
    Have the found out who the shooter was?

31. DrBowtie

DrBowtie Final Countdown
    Moderator Emeritus

Resident [Any Field]
    They probably know but don't want to release it yet.

32. armybound

Resident [Any Field]
    Liberals will be coming out of the woodwork to support gun bans in a very short period of time. Why is this any different?

33. tdd340

tdd340 Assistant to the sensei

Medical Student
    I think that we should leave both sides of this issue alone for another day and another thread. There is no point in arguing either side of this issue in the immediate aftermath of such a horrendous tragedy.

34. Dr.Inviz

Dr.Inviz Banned
    Banned

Pre-Medical
    It's unreleased. Apparently, the shooter was also dead, so yes, they know who it is.

35. DrLizzie

DrLizzie Still in the game

Medical Student
    It was really shocking to turn on the TV and see this happening. Im praying for anyone involved, and really hope that they will be able to overcome this.
    I am getting different information; do they believe that there were 1 or 2 shooters?

36. Dr.Inviz

Dr.Inviz Banned
    Banned

Pre-Medical
    I'm not sure; however, given the number of deaths and wounded, it leads me to believe there were more than 1 involved ...

37. KaraKiz

Medical Student
    MSN had a video link to a local news station. The reporter on the scene said that the shooter was described as a young guy, college aged, Asian, and was wearing a maroon baseball cap and a leather coat. I know this doesn't answer your question, but its the most detail I've heard about his identity.

38. armybound

Resident [Any Field]
    there were two different episodes this morning.

it's my understanding that each episode involved only 1 shooter, and that it might not have been the same shooter.

39. Packamylase

Medical Student
    A student described the shooter as an Asian carrying two 9mm handguns and wearing a vest.

40. riceman04

Medical Student
    "college aged asian guy w/ bergundy hat and black leather jacket"

41. Pansit

Medical Student
    Apparently, the shooter shot someone else two hours earlier and then went on the rampage...my question is how can that happen?...students said they were sent an email about the earlier shooting, but it apparently was not enough to warn them two hours later...wouldn't they have shut the school down during that time?

42. Crazy4F1

Resident [Any Field]
    my heart goes out to everyone there.

to anyone at VT right now - my very good friend from high school is a Tech student and i havent been able to get in touch with him. his name is Jason, he's a paramedic and the captain of the first aid squad. i'm sure he's probably just insanely busy helping wounded people, but he's also an engineering student and i'm afraid that he might have been in that classroom when it happened. if anyone knows him or has seen him today, could you post on here? thanks. cell phone calls arent getting through right now :(

43. DrVanNostran

Resident [Any Field]
    Puts life into perspective. My prayers go out to all those affected :(

44. foofish

Medical Student
    What a shock to get in my car and hear the news on the radio (NPR dork, what can I say). My thoughts and prayers are with those at VT, and to Crazy4F1 and others, I hope you get in touch with your friends and loved ones soon.

45. foofish

Medical Student
    I was wondering that myself, because the first shooting was on the news (both local and national) on my way to work this morning, and at that time they were just telling students and staff to stay inside buildings and to stay away from windows. That's part of why I was so shocked to hear about the second attack....as in, they hadn't managed to find the guy and that so many people were left vulnerable with an armed lunatic loose on campus.

46. Crazy4F1

Resident [Any Field]
    we found him :) his housemates have a scanner on and heard him on the radio. i will keep everyone else in my prayers :(

47. beauregard

32 people dead now...

I can't really fathom why they hadn't shut that campus down entirely. I remember in August when they had a escaped gunman/convict on campus it was shut down entirely. If the first shooting happened at 6:15 this morning and they didn't have the gunman in custody, why in the world were they holding classes??

48. imable24

Medical Student
    This has the potential to drastically change security measures at universities and even medical schools. I hope this is an isolated incident and doesn't spawn a series of copycats as we saw with Columbine. My prayers go out to the students and the families.

49. KaraKiz

Medical Student
    glad to hear this. :)

50. postbacker

postbacker Banned
    Banned

Non-Student
    There is no acceptable explanation from Va Tech officials for the failure to shut down all buildings after the first shooting reports...I remember when that kook was loose on campus last year that Tech officials said something to the effect that they would be on top of this sort of thing if it ever happened again...guess what?

51. kdburton

kdburton Ulnar Deviant

Resident [Any Field]
    Because guns are banned on college campuses, and therefore only lawbreakers are able to carry guns at high schools, colleges, airports, etc. If some law-abiding citizen had a permit to carry a gun on campus this morning the guy who killed everyone may have been stopped much earlier.

52. Now this is just hearsay so bear with me...

Apparently the shooter was first looking for his gf who apparently was cheating on him. He found her in West AJ and shot her there. He then made his way to the opposite end of campus looking for the guy she was cheating on him with.

Still developing though. I heard this from my gf.