Virginia Tech Shooting

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.
I can't believe George W. Bush is using this time to support less gun control. Seriously, it is not the time. Poor form.

Do you really think more gun control will do anything. There are already more guns in the USA than there are people. Lets be realistic here. The only people who are actually bound by gun control laws are those who follow the law. Criminals will get/use guns no matter how strict the laws are. Look at similar tragedies in Canada where they are much more strict on gun laws. Michael Moore will tell us all different, but he is an idiot

Members don't see this ad.

How terribly sad. I can't even imagine what it would be like to have that happen at my school. My thoughts and prayers are with all who were involved, their families, and friends.

Members don't see this ad :)
According to eyewitness accounts, the shooter was looking for his girlfriend and was lining up people to shoot execution style.

Police say the shooter was shot and killed and now believe he was the only gunman although police are reluctant to connect the shootings. No information has been released about the shooter, other than that he was perhaps searching for an estranged girlfriend.

http://www.postchronicle.com/news/original/article_21275257.shtml

My condolences to the families and friends of those injured or killed at VT. What a tragic event...

This is a troubling, saddening event.
While I am not religious, my heart goes out to all of those affected by this tragedy.

This is a troubling, saddening event.
While I am not religious, my heart goes out to all of those affected by this tragedy.

Just out of curiousity, why do you have to preced your "my heart goes out" statement with "while I am not religious." Its not like you have to be religious to feel sorry for those involved

What is it with the prevalence of guns in this country? I lost family members through gun violence... a gut wrenching experience. God bless the victims and my condolences to their family and friends. Sure does put all this premed mania into perspective.

Watching CNN and hearing more about the tragic event at VT, I am a bit shocked as to why the school officals didn't send people home earlier when that first student got killed, and many more were injured? There was a 2hr gap between the shootings, which means that they had no idea what happened that morning, and clearly didn't have the gunman in custody, so why wouldn't they send everybody home? I guess in retrospect, the blame could be pointed in many directions, but they must go over what they did and what else needs to be done in the future to keep students safe.

Again, my thoughts and prayers to everyone that is involved in this horrible event.

I was absolutely horrified and overwhelmed to wake up to this on the news this morning. My heart goes out to the VT community and all of those friends and family still searching for loved ones in the chaos.

Just out of curiousity, why do you have to preced your "my heart goes out" statement with "while I am not religious." Its not like you have to be religious to feel sorry for those involved

My bad, I read most of the previous comments of, "My thoughts and prayers...." so I wanted to convey my sentiments without any religious affiliation.

Watching CNN and hearing more about the tragic event at VT, I am a bit shocked as to why the school officals didn't send people home earlier when that first student got killed, and many more were injured? There was a 2hr gap between the shootings, which means that they had no idea what happened that morning, and clearly didn't have the gunman in custody, so why wouldn't they send everybody home? I guess in retrospect, the blame could be pointed in many directions, but they must go over what they did and what else needs to be done in the future to keep students safe.

Again, my thoughts and prayers to everyone that is involved in this horrible event.
Sending everyone home = mass chaos.
25k students trying to leave while the gunman was at large probably not the best idea. Hindsight is 20/20 and I'm sure in retrospect they regret not putting the whole campus on lockdown aside from the dorm where the incident happened.

There is no acceptable explanation from Va Tech officials for the failure to shut down all buildings after the first shooting reports...I remember when that kook was loose on campus last year that Tech officials said something to the effect that they would be on top of this sort of thing if it ever happened again...guess what?

Stop laying the blame. This is a small town, I lived there, worked in the ER there, and nobody is equiped or prepared for this kind of incident anywhere really. The initial 911 call was just that some people had head injuries. When EMT got there they realized that two people were shot. It seemed isolated, and personal. They had no reason to believe anyone was going on a killing spree across campus. Also, in August the gunman was never on campus regardless of what the news says. He shot up the ER where I worked and then was loose on the Huckleberry Trail which connects the town of Christiansburg with Virginia Tech's campus in Blacksburg. There was some rumor that he was blending in with students on campus, but it's not true. That guy was an escaped convict and they were searching for him so they shut down campus because there was a known, armed convict on the loose. I don't think they knew what they were dealing with here, so don't blame people because in hindsight it seems clear.

I think the focus should be on lending support for the students and friends and families of all of the victims and people who were there and the blame game is really not going to get anyone anywhere, especially when everyone only has limited information at best. It's more complicated than it may seem to us sitting in our houses watching TV. I feel so horribly for everyone there and I don't know what else to say really, except to keep getting support from everyone out in your communities and in this community if it helps at all.

Members don't see this ad :)
update:

33 dead
-2 from the dorm
-30 from the engineering classroom
-1 the gunner committed suicide

First of all, my heart goes out to all the victims, their families, and all those affected by this horrible crime.

I've been watching CNN and what i heard was that the police believed the first shooting at the dorm was an isolated, maybe even a domestic affair, and didn't think it required shutting down the entire campus. The gunman had left before police arrived on scene, and they thought he had escaped. When notice of shots fired clear across campus arrived, police crossed Drill field quickly to Norris Hall..

Finally, i think campus-wide alert systems, to be used in case of an emergency such as this, would be better.. It's nearly impossible to close of such large campuses as Virginia tech, and not everyone checks their e-mail frequently enough for that to be an effecient medium of communication in a crisis such as this.

Again, my thoughts and prayers to all those who lost their lives today at Virginia Tech.

I'm watching CNN and there are a lot of questions and while we may want to place the blame, lives have been list and my prayers are with those affected by this tragedy. :(
It is times like this when you realize just how precious life is and how you shouldn't fret over such petty things, I say that on SDN because I know how we all are.
I hope that all of you will be safe as you go about your daily activities.
God Bless.

I'm watching CNN and there are a lot of questions and while we may want to place the blame, lives have been list and my prayers are with those affected by this tragedy. :(
It is times like this when you realize just how precious life is and how you shouldn't fret over such petty things, I say that on SDN because I know how we all are.
I hope that all of you will be safe as you go about your daily activities.
God Bless.

my condolences and prayers are with the virginia tech students and families as well.

What an awful, awful crime. I just couldn't believe what I was reading on the nytimes. I was in complete disarray.

My condolences go out to those affected.

Stop laying the blame. This is a small town, I lived there, worked in the ER there, and nobody is equiped or prepared for this kind of incident anywhere really. The initial 911 call was just that some people had head injuries. When EMT got there they realized that two people were shot. It seemed isolated, and personal. They had no reason to believe anyone was going on a killing spree across campus.
Just quoting this for emphasis because this is the 2nd time I've heard this.

Blame game doesn't get you anywhere. ANY SCHOOL probably would have reacted in this manner. VT did a great job the first time around in august so I'm sure something of this nature they wish they could have done something to go back in time. I wonder how efficiently that would have worked but that is what the whole premise of "turn back time" is based.

incredibly sad day. i can only shake my head. still cant believe it. my heart goes out to all those affected.

What a terrible day. Evil does exist. The survivors of the Nazi concentration camps will testify that evil does exist and evil and horror have a human face.

Do you really think more gun control will do anything. There are already more guns in the USA than there are people. Lets be realistic here. The only people who are actually bound by gun control laws are those who follow the law. Criminals will get/use guns no matter how strict the laws are. Look at similar tragedies in Canada where they are much more strict on gun laws. Michael Moore will tell us all different, but he is an idiot

+1

On a similar note, Chris Rock had it right during his initial standup act. "Charge $5K/bullet! You'll definitely think twice before you cap somebody's ass."

What a terrible day. Evil does exist. The survivors of the Nazi concentration camps will testify that evil does exist and evil and horror have a human face.

Yesterday was Holocaust Remembrance Day

It's really unfathomable that this could occur. We all like to think that college campuses are havens, but the cold reality is that they are susceptible to even the worst of events.

My heart goes out to all of VT, especially the my 20 or so high school classmates that attend the school. It's hard to accept the truth that something like this can strike so close to home.

I had the same thought. I thought my week was going badly. :oops:

Agreed. Makes me feel like a brat for being so worried lately about getting my thesis done on time.

To those who are still wondering about the safety of their loved ones, my heart goes out to you.

Yesterday was Holocaust Remembrance Day

God bless the victims of the Holocaust and may God hold each precious life in his loving arms and grant them his peace.

prayers from New York as well. i'm so sorry. to keep copycat tragedy minimized everyone be vigilant!

Sorry to hear about this ... :(

I'll be praying for the families and classmates of those who lost their lives.

I can't believe George W. Bush is using this time to support less gun control. Seriously, it is not the time. Poor form.

This is an absolute lie. I can't imagine what it's like to go through life so deranged in their hatred for a person that they start to hallucinate things that didn't happen. Please seek help.

This is an absolute lie. I can't imagine what it's like to go through life so deranged in their hatred for a person that they start to hallucinate things that didn't happen. Please seek help.

Humble took it a bit out of context, but yes, a GWB spokeman did make a comment about "the right to bear arms" that was rather poorly thought out. This was this morning, not in the Bush press conference. I make the same "help seeking" suggestion in your direction... the Politics in this thread have since died out... it would have been nice to keep it that way.

Humble took it a bit out of context, but yes, a GWB spokeman did make a comment about "the right to bear arms" that was rather poorly thought out. This was this morning, not in the Bush press conference. I make the same "help seeking" suggestion in your direction... the Politics in this thread have since died out... it would have been nice to keep it that way.

This is rich. I call out someone for making a blatant lie (and it was a lie; in no way can those comments be construed to say that Bush is using this incident to push for less gun control) with deep political implications, yet I'm guilty of politicizing this thread. And I need help.

I'll check into the funny farm tomorrow.

That was the WH's first reaction - the very first quote they released.

It's amazing that the first reaction of the White House and the media is to bring up politics and lay blame. It really makes me angry. Just flip on FoxNews or CNN, you'll see their BS.

My heart goes out to everyone at Tech.

That was the WH's first reaction - the very first quote they released.

This is also a lie. The comment was part of a press conference. No quotes were released by the wh, and it wasn't even the first comment about the situation by the secretary.

hm.... someone posted the guy's livejournal (or so they say...) i don't know what to think of it....

http://wanusmaximus.livejournal.com/

Absolutely sick. Explain to me why anyone needs access to guns like that?

My heart goes out to everyone at Virginia Tech and everyone affected by this horrible, horrible incident. I really hope that something can come out of this completely heinous tragedy instead of the blame game that is currently being played throughout the news channels.

cnn says the guy was asian (aka premed). poor guy must have failed a physics test or something.

:thumbdown:thumbdownim asian btw. no racism here. my heart does truly go out for all those lost lives. R.I.P

The news said that the shooting resulted from a premed student going postal from not being accepted into medical school.

The news said that the shooting resulted from a premed student going postal from not being accepted into medical school.

so where's the source on this? watching CNN and they really have no new info other than what they had this afternoon.

This is also a lie. The comment was part of a press conference. No quotes were released by the wh, and it wasn't even the first comment about the situation by the secretary.

No, it is not a lie. It was part of the WH first reaction, and it was the first quote released.

Read my post again. I am blaming both the media and the WH for politicizing the event. The WH for talking about it, and the media for selectively publishing it.

so where's the source on this? watching CNN and they really have no new info other than what they had this afternoon.

There's no source on this. I think this is some idiotic joke by a SDNer.

No, it is not a lie. It was part of the WH first reaction, and it was the first quote released.

Read my post again. I am blaming both the media and the WH for politicizing the event. The WH for talking about it, and the media for selectively publishing it.

If we are referring to the same quote (and I think we are), it was part of this press conference. Perhaps the media extracted the quote from the press conference and presented it as the first reaction, but in no way can that be described as the first quote released by the wh in response to the shooting. I'm not interesting in defending the media or Bush (I don't particularly like either), just the truth, and I think it's terrible to politicize an obviously apolitical incident.

Just heard from a friend who was an engineering student at VTech. He said he was set to go in to work on his research project this morning but caught the warning Email before leaving.

He has learned that his faculty mentor was shot to death this morning. Two senior friends of his were also killed. Two others jumped out of the 3rd(?) story window and are in the hospital with multiple injuries.

We lost a lot of great people today.

wow i cant believe something this big and this bad like this has happened

did they find out if he was a student or not??

i feel awful for the people who died and were injured, as well family of the victims :(

cnn says the guy was asian (aka premed). poor guy must have failed a physics test or something.

:thumbdown:thumbdownim asian btw. no racism here. my heart does truly go out for all those lost lives. R.I.P

He is CHINESE! Don't make other Asians look bad. Thank goodness, he wasn't Japanese or else... *sign of relief* It is like saying that Europeans executed Jews during the World War II when GERMANS were solely responsible. You Chinos and Alemanians :rolleyes:

My condolences to the students, families, and friends of the victims at Virginia Tech. I'm reminded of a quote from West Wing.

"The streets of Heaven are too crowded with angels tonight. They're our students and our teachers and our parents and our friends. The streets of Heaven are too crowded with angels. But every time we think we've measured our capacity to meet a challenge, we look up and we're reminded that that capacity may well be limitless. This is a time for American heroes. We will do what is hard; we will achieve what is great. This is a time for American heroes, and we reach for the stars. God bless their memory..."