Virginia Tech Shooting

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.
He is CHINESE! Don't make other Asians look bad. Thank goodness, he wasn't Japanese or else... *sign of relief* It is like saying that Europeans executed Jews during the World War II when GERMANS were solely responsible. You dumb Chinos and Alemanians

It's interesting how we tend to associate/dissociate differently in different situations.

Prayers from Irvine, Oddnends, I'm really sorry that happened to someone so close to you. It's shocking to see how interconnected we all could be.

Members don't see this ad.

He is CHINESE! Don't make other Asians look bad. Thank goodness, he wasn't Japanese or else... *sign of relief* It is like saying that Europeans executed Jews during the World War II when GERMANS were solely responsible. You Chinos and Alemanians :rolleyes:

Hey...there's no racism in this. It doesn't matter what his race was, he was a disturbed human being. We're smarter than blaming an entire race for one person's actions. HE did something horrific. Please don't bring this down to blaming groups.

Hey...there's no racism in this. It doesn't matter what his race was, he was a disturbed human being. We're smarter than blaming an entire race for one person's actions. HE did something horrific. Please don't bring this down to blaming groups.

Sorry, I just don't want ALL asians to get blamed for this. I really hope that all people affected get through this well and I hope something like this doesn't ever happen again.

Members don't see this ad :)
shut up asiangirl. u are basically implying we should blame all the chinese. ur a troll.

ps - im not chinese. im asian. word up respek.

Sorry, I just don't want ALL asians to get blamed for this. I really hope that all people affected get through this well and I hope something like this doesn't ever happen again.

What? Asians can freak out and go on homicidal rampages? ....I thought only white guys did that.... :rolleyes:

If there is anyone out there who blames *all* Asians for the action of one guy, chances are that they are already biggoted in their opinions.

He is CHINESE! Don't make other Asians look bad. Thank goodness, he wasn't Japanese or else... *sign of relief* It is like saying that Europeans executed Jews during the World War II when GERMANS were solely responsible. You Chinos and Alemanians :rolleyes:

:laugh: :laugh: enough said

Ugh, it doesn't matter if he was Chinese, Japanese, Korean, or whatever. The fact is that he KILLED innocent people. Pointing out that he was Chinese doesn't really help the situation.

My prayers and condolences go out to the innocent victims who were gunned down this morning. I also will pray for their families and friends. Today is a very tragic day in US History. I pray that we dont turn this thread into a FLAME war because the shooter was Asian. Instead, lets pray that this disaster never happens again..

God Bless

Ugh, it doesn't matter if he was Chinese, Japanese, Korean, or whatever. The fact is that he KILLED innocent people. Pointing out that he was Chinese doesn't really help the situation.

Exactly.

My heart goes out to all those who have lost a loved one because of this senseless tragedy.

My prayers go out to those affected by this tragedy...

Just heard from a friend who was an engineering student at VTech. He said he was set to go in to work on his research project this morning but caught the warning Email before leaving.

He has learned that his faculty mentor was shot to death this morning. Two senior friends of his were also killed. Two others jumped out of the 3rd(?) story window and are in the hospital with multiple injuries.

We lost a lot of great people today.

Oddsnends, so sorry for your friend's loss and to anyone else who lost someone today. My heart sank when I read the headlines this morning.

"The streets of Heaven are too crowded with angels tonight. They're our students and our teachers and our parents and our friends. The streets of Heaven are too crowded with angels. But every time we think we've measured our capacity to meet a challenge, we look up and we're reminded that that capacity may well be limitless. This is a time for American heroes. We will do what is hard; we will achieve what is great. This is a time for American heroes, and we reach for the stars. God bless their memory..."

Members don't see this ad :)
This has the potential to drastically change security measures at universities and even medical schools. I hope this is an isolated incident and doesn't spawn a series of copycats as we saw with Columbine. My prayers go out to the students and the families.

I don't see how. I mean, it isn't feasible at all to have metal detectors and security gaurds at every building entrance on every campus in the country. Or to have people's cars thoroughly searched each time they drive on campus. There may be a solution somewhere, but I think sometimes we can do everything right and terrible things will still happen. If someone is willing to die in the process, almost no type of security precaution can stop them from randomly attacking/killing people. Scary, but it is just the way it is. :(

I really hope that the injured from this incident pull through ok. It sickens me to think of the fatality number going even higher. So much potential lost .... so much hurt caused.

What? Asians can freak out and go on homicidal rampages? ....I thought only white guys did that.... :rolleyes:

If there is anyone out there who blames *all* Asians for the action of one guy, chances are that they are already biggoted in their opinions.

I don't think anyone blames all Asians for this. We don't blame all whites for any of the crazed serial killers... the DC sniper didn't represent all blacks... it is odd that he was Asian, though... the profile tends to point to white guys when something like this happens. :oops:

Sad, sad tragedy

Not that it matters AT ALL, but he was actually from South Korea. What's with jumping to the conclusion that it was one particular ethnic group? And why does his ethnicity matter anyway? It was the horrible, evil doing of an messed-up individual.

forgot to quote the source; from the NYTimes website: "Name of shooter is confirmed as Cho Seung-Hui, a 23-year-old English major from South Korea."

BLACKSBURG, Va. - A Virginia Tech senior from South Korea was behind the massacre of at least 30 people locked inside a campus building in the deadliest shooting rampage in modern U.S. history, the university said Tuesday.
Ballistics tests also found that one of the guns used in that attack was also used in a shooting two hours earlier at a dorm that left two people dead, Virginia State Police said.
Police identified the shooter as Cho Seung-Hui, 23, a senior from South Korea who was in the English department at Virginia Tech. Cho, a South Korean native, was in the U.S. as a resident alien with a residence established in Centerville, Va. Cho was living on campus in Harper Residence Hall.

http://www.msnbc.msn.com/id/18148802/?GT1=9246

I think this whole event is tragic, and it is wrong to just reduce the whole thing to ethnicity. I'm disappointed to hear that some people's reaction is to first express joy that the shooter was not of their nationality.

um, what are you talking about?

Who's blaming all asian people? you yourself are guilty of exactly what you're blaming others of. You said he was chinese, he's not chinese. He's south korean. Please, this isn't about blame, this is about healing. The fact that you bring up stuff like this and make these comments is incredibly ignorant and self centered.

right...lets use this as an incredibly pathetic opportunity to point fingers/bash a particular set of people...you're disgusting

wear orange/maroon today to remember those who were lost...

I think you don't realize how incredibly hypocritical this is. You don't want all Asians to be blamed, but you're willing to shift the blame to a particular Asian ethnicity. Thank god he wasn't Japanese!!

I think you don't realize how incredibly hypocritical this is. You don't want all Asians to be blamed, but you're willing to shift the blame to a particular Asian ethnicity. Thank god he wasn't Japanese!!

I second that thought, but let's please not divert this thread from what it should be.

This event is just astounding and incredibly saddening. I just don't understand what leads someone to commit such a rampage. It's certainly frightening to imagine that we carry this potential in us. My condolences to all who were affected. (there's no appropriate "smiley" for this...)

Um no, according to CNN, "Gunman identified as Cho Seung-hui, a 23-year-old English major from South Korea."

He's South Korean.

I watched some news clippings this morning from MSNBC interviewing some survivors, and victim families.

My heart hurts for these people. What a sad day. I send my condolences to all the friends and families of the victims.

Stuff your KP/Azn Pride crap.

Koreans are generally insane. Here are some examples:

InterviewJohnChoKalPenn.jpg

cho-341-MED.jpg

bigkim.jpg

daniel-dae-kim-lost-tyler-shields.jpg

Aw, Eternal, you're a funny guy, but I that was unnecessary in this situation. For me, at least, this isn't a sarcasm/joking time.

I'm pretty upset by this, and my heart goes out to those who were touched by the attack. I think I'm so upset because I feel that college is a place where young adults should be safe and having fun while trying to better themselves so that they can have a great future. Mass murder in such an atmosphere is so bitterly ironic - go somewhere to aim for a great future and get killed... no more future.

This is a horrible thing to have happened. Are there any SDNers from V. Tech that haven't been heard from recently? I don't know anyone that was there in RL, and I am desperately hoping that I don't know anyone from here.

On another, related note, are the students at anyone else's school completely freaking out today? I swear, I accidentally dropped my backpack and everyone within hearing distance jumped about 3 feet in the air.

Now this is just hearsay so bear with me...

Apparently the shooter was first looking for his gf who apparently was cheating on him. He found her in West AJ and shot her there. He then made his way to the opposite end of campus looking for the guy she was cheating on him with.

Still developing though. I heard this from my gf.

yup, teachers at school said part of this is true, that he was lookin for a girl and went to the classroom first tho..

Virginia Tech is going to have a hell of a lot of lawsuits to deal with.

yup, teachers at school said part of this is true, that he was lookin for a girl and went to the classroom first tho..

It is quite likely, per both reports in the media that he was a loner and my own psychiatry instincts, that he NEVER had a girlfriend. He reportedly stalked a few females on campus. Any relationship may have existed solely in his mind.

The main point I wish to make is that this was a very ill person, who was even recognized as being ill...he was referred to the campus counseling center after various warning signs of problems. Unfortunately (in my opinion) the legal system in this country makes it very hard to intervene against someone's will until AFTER they have demonstrated danger to themselves or others in unambiguous ways...believe me, professionally I have been faced with a frustrating impotence many times.

That being said, however, it still upsets me when news reports villify him and call him "evil"---he was clearly very sick. When we villify, we identify him as "other," which I think is counter-productive--it makes us imagine, falsely, that someone we know could never become this sick and dangerous. The line between sane and insane is less impervious than many people want to believe.

Our generation is seriously ****ed up.

Our generation is seriously ****ed up.
Why just our generation? Plenty of horrible things have been done by other individuals in the past. The guy who killed the Amish schoolgirls was much older. The guy from 1991 was much older. A cursory look at Wikipedia shows that a crazy guy blew up the Bath school in Michigan way back in beginning of the twentieth century. I don't think you can generalize horrible crimes to our current generation just because he happened to be 23. Almost every crime -- murder, rape, theft, war, molestation, etc. etc. etc. -- has been continuously committed since the beginning of mankind.

you are a sick, disgusting, selfish, person...what are you saying exactly? that koreans should get blamed? why would a whole race of people get blamed for one person's actions? you are racist, i hope you do not become a doctor

Terrible tragedy...I hold the victims and their families in my prayers...

I'm sorry to see that some people are so intent on showing their anger and racist attitudes so soon after what just happened.

Isn't this is what gets us into these situations? :(

I too want to send my love and condolences to everyone at Virginia Tech. I know I can speak for the rest of the Texas Aggie family that we are reaching out our arms to comfort, support, and uplift all of you. I know if for one second there was something we all could do to left this burden off of your shoulders we would.

I fu<king hate the media. All this news coverage emphasizes the murderous rage and how this was a record of mass murder. all that does is make future dumbfu<ks more motivated to commit similar crimes and live in infamy forever.

yes, it's pretty scary to think that this can happen at any place at any time :(

"The streets of Heaven are too crowded with angels tonight. They're our students and our teachers and our parents and our friends. The streets of Heaven are too crowded with angels. But every time we think we've measured our capacity to meet a challenge, we look up and we're reminded that that capacity may well be limitless. This is a time for American heroes. We will do what is hard; we will achieve what is great. This is a time for American heroes, and we reach for the stars. God bless their memory..."
God I love that show.

Good quote, Sunny.

[YOUTUBE]http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=gZ93vgYledc[/YOUTUBE]

I fu<king hate the media. All this news coverage emphasizes the murderous rage and how this was a record of mass murder. all that does is make future dumbfu<ks more motivated to commit similar crimes and live in infamy forever.

EXACTLY what i was thinking. They keep emphasizing that it is the largest killing spree in an academic institution like it's something to be praised...uggg I hate media.

I know the murderer probably had some kind of psychological problems, but this event pisses me off so much that I would strangle him if I ever saw him alive. So cowardly to kill innocent people...

Why just our generation? Plenty of horrible things have been done by other individuals in the past. The guy who killed the Amish schoolgirls was much older. The guy from 1991 was much older. A cursory look at Wikipedia shows that a crazy guy blew up the Bath school in Michigan way back in beginning of the twentieth century. I don't think you can generalize horrible crimes to our current generation just because he happened to be 23. Almost every crime -- murder, rape, theft, war, molestation, etc. etc. etc. -- has been continuously committed since the beginning of mankind.

Does anyone remember the seige on an elementary school in Russia? That was truly sad. :(

I grieve for the world our children will inherit someday.

my thoughts and prayers are with all the families who suffered a tragic loss.:(

its terrible.how can one person kill 32.and himself??? just for a girl?

It is quite likely, per both reports in the media that he was a loner and my own psychiatry instincts, that he NEVER had a girlfriend. He reportedly stalked a few females on campus. Any relationship may have existed solely in his mind.

The main point I wish to make is that this was a very ill person, who was even recognized as being ill...he was referred to the campus counseling center after various warning signs of problems. Unfortunately (in my opinion) the legal system in this country makes it very hard to intervene against someone's will until AFTER they have demonstrated danger to themselves or others in unambiguous ways...believe me, professionally I have been faced with a frustrating impotence many times.

That being said, however, it still upsets me when news reports villify him and call him "evil"---he was clearly very sick. When we villify, we identify him as "other," which I think is counter-productive--it makes us imagine, falsely, that someone we know could never become this sick and dangerous. The line between sane and insane is less impervious than many people want to believe.

:thumbup: I too am always confused by the reactions people have to someone who was so clearly very very sick. He was still a human being suffering from a human disease, and I think that when we label another human like as "evil" its counterproductive to preventing tragedies like this in the future. There were obviously warning signs that he was unwell and I think a more productive dialogue we could be having as a nation would be about the status of our current mental health care system rather than weather we need more metal detectors.

Aw, Eternal, you're a funny guy, but I that was unnecessary in this situation. For me, at least, this isn't a sarcasm/joking time.

Sorry, that troll reminded me of another Korean Pride Troll that I had to expunge a couple months back (GandoOwns or somethng like that, wouldn't be surprised if it's the same guy). Easiest way to do that is attack that pride with pictures. I HATE PEOPLE WITH ASIAN PRIDE, especially Koreans. I'm normally easy going and very tolerant but that's one thing that really pisses me off.

Oh and Godwin's Law alert.

Good job you keyboard kim chi warrior