Virginia Tech vs Cooper Medical School

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

Send LOI to Cooper Med

• Yes

Votes: 4 44.4%
  • No

Votes: 5 55.6%

• Total voters

1nygiantsfan

2+ Year Member
Reaction score
Career Goals: Either go into primary care or psychiatry and then go into private practice and get involved in a free clinic on the side.

Virginia Tech Carilion School of Medicine (accepted)
Pros

- no in-house exams and retired NBMEs as preclinical exams
- 1 week off (technically 10 days with weekends) at end of each block In addition to winter breaks (8 blocks in first two years)
- Very small cohorts (~45-50 per class), so better faculty to student ratio
- Big research focus and requirement of manuscript write up, thesis, and poster in curriculum (integrated into curriculum all 4 years)
- Without revealing too much, there's this unique quality improvement initiative that would allow me to continue significant service work I have done in my premed phase into medical school. It's based in pediatrics and also based on a chronic illness I personally have (major reason why I wanted to do medicine in the first place).
- med students and faculty all seem so passionate, collaborative, and welcoming
- low cost of living
- pass/fail preclinical, tiered pass/fail clinical (honors, hp, p, f)

Cons

- far away from home and SO (4-7 hours away from each of them)
- 340k cost of attendance
- Not as diverse as the patient population that cooper med school serves
- Free clinic is competitive to get into early on in med school

Cooper Medical School of Rowan University (regular waitlist)
Pros
- cheaper tuition because it's instate
- significantly closer to family and SO (1-2 hours driving distance from each of them)
- Big service focus - I want to eventually practice in a private setting and also volunteer my time in a free clinic
- More diverse patient population
- Integrated longitudinal clinical experiences with involvement in free clinic for all
- Previous med students I spoke with have loved med school and/or primary care training
- pass/fail preclinical, tiered pass/fail clinical (honors, hp, p, f)
- capstone project with thesis requirement and poster presentation

Cons
- not as much time off as virginia tech
- higher cost of living than virginia tech
- in-house exams for preclinical phase
- Psych department less developed
- bigger class size
- you start the capstone in 3rd and 4th years whereas at vtc you start in your first year
- not as big of a research focus, and I feel like this might become more important with step 1 being pass/fail now

Summary: I'm basically torn on whether to send an letter of intent to cooper or not to help boost my chances of getting off the regular WL.

Members don't see this ad.

Last edited:
Psych is more about fit. Seems Cooper has an in-house psych residency. Worth an LOI, though I'm not sure whether a state school factors that into consideration. They tend to have a set algorithm/point system.

Reactions: 1 user
Members don't see this ad :)
Career Goals: Either go into primary care or psychiatry and then go into private practice and get involved in a free clinic on the side.

Virginia Tech Carilion School of Medicine (accepted)

Cons

- far away from home and SO (4-7 hours away from each of them)
- 340k cost of attendance
- Not as diverse as the patient population that cooper med school serves
- Free clinic is competitive to get into early on in med school

Summary: I'm basically torn on whether to send an letter of intent to cooper or not to help boost my chances of getting off the regular WL.
Couple things.

1) You might want to check that COA at VTC. For several years, the cost for OOS vs. IS was the same and it was running about maybe $285k for four years.

2) I'd probably also look hard at where I want to live for these four years. Roanoke (VTC) is a little off the beaten track and so it can take a day to get to a lot of places (change planes, etc.). On the other hand, it's an interesting place to live if you've been more of a big city and/or coastal dweller. Ask yourself what you're looking for.

Good luck!

Reactions: 1 user
Just wanted to let people know that I decided against sending the LOI, thanks for all the help!