Virtual fall 2021?

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.
D

deleted1069450

I know there's no definitive answer to this and the situation is evolving, but I'm curious to hear everyone's take on whether the incoming medical school classes will begin virtually. I know most med schools have started a hybrid system of sorts for things like anatomy, but I'm wondering if it's just totally unrealistic at this point to still be hoping for in-person orientation and classes instead of Zoom...

Members don't see this ad.

Just my guess, but I think schools will have everyone vaccinated (require everyone to be vaccinated, like standard enrollment protocol) by the fall and have classes in person. Some schools might opt to do hybrid classes permanently

Reactions: 1 users
Most schools start late July or early/mid August. That's 5+ months from now. I think schools will open for business for in-person classes by then. Speculating here, but rate of vaccination and vaccine production seems to be ramping up.

Reactions: 1 user
Members don't see this ad :)
As someone without a clinical job (or job in general), I'm last in line probably for the vaccine. NY Times predicts 90% getting vaccinated by NOVEMBER (70% in Sep). I know that rollout could accelerate, but it just seems like it's cutting it close. Hopefully if they require vaccines they'll also be flexible with those coming from states behind in distribution
Yeah I was thinking about this... I bet a decent amount of incoming students will have been vaccinated already if they work a clinical job, but there are definitely plenty who won't be. Preclinical students seem to be eligible for vaccination from most med schools, though, so I wonder if schools will vaccinate incoming students when they arrive?

I have a friend whose currently an M2 at a medical school (they have clinic already) and even though their entire cohort is vaccinated, they're still running a hybrid model this year. I would guess that most med schools stay hybrid at least for 2021-2022. I asked an ADCOM at one of my interviews and he told me he was as lost as I was and the higher ups will make a decision closer to the actual start date.

As someone without a clinical job (or job in general), I'm last in line probably for the vaccine. NY Times predicts 90% getting vaccinated by NOVEMBER (70% in Sep). I know that rollout could accelerate, but it just seems like it's cutting it close. Hopefully if they require vaccines they'll also be flexible with those coming from states behind in distribution

I’m 99% sure that you will be able to get vaccinated through the medical school. Many med schools have vaccinated their entire student bodies, including M1/2s who are preclinical. It’s that privilege of being connected to an institution

If my Instagram stories have told me anything, it's that MS1's who sit on their laptop all day are higher priority for vaccine's than my nursing friends who work 40 hours a week in COVID units

• Sad
Reactions: 1 users
Some UCs have said that they expect up to 70% in person teaching for undergrads this fall. I imagine medical schools will be in-person this fall as well.

Reactions: 1 user