Virtual Interview Discussion

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

doubleblind22

Reaction score
I unexpectedly received an interview invite today and my only options to schedule were this upcoming Wednesday or after November 11th. So here I am frantically (but excitedly!) prepping for a virtual interview.

I've seen a few posts related but not a whole lot about virtual interview experiences. Can anyone help me regarding lighting, dress, and other preparations I need to make? Or does anyone have any general comments about their virtual interviews they might like to share?

Thanks!

Members don't see this ad.

Have a neutral or at least, a non-distracting background

If you're at home, tell family/roomates/housemates that you need to have it quiet during your interview.

Cats are OK, but dogs should not be nosing around your camera (that's a joke)!

Do not have a light source directly behind you.

Dress professionally

Behave as if you were at a normal interview.

Reactions: 4 users
Dress like you would for an in person interview. I just sat on a student panel for interviewees at my school and only one person was not in a suit or the equivalent for women, and he stood out.

You can download zoom and test out your lighting and different rooms. Pick a place with a pretty plain, white background. Don’t sit with light or windows behind you. If anything the lights should be in front of you so the interviewers can see your face, but you don’t want them too bright to wash you out. That’s where testing it out on zoom helps.

Also don’t be afraid to wear headphones to make the sound good. Lots of people do.

Reactions: 2 users
Members don't see this ad :)
Cats are OK, but dogs should not be nosing around your camera (that's a joke)!
What happened to your profile picture?? It can't be the end of an era!

What happened to your profile picture?? It can't be the end of an era!
An SDNer sent me that picture. He thought that's where the name Goro came from.

I never heard about it before and it was quite tickled with it!

For those of you who don't know this, the pic is of Gorosaurus, a character in some of the Godzilla movies.

• Haha
Reactions: 5 users
An SDNer sent me that picture. He thought that's where the name Goro came from.

I never heard about it before and it was quite tickled with it!

For those of you who don't know this, the pic is of Gorosaurus, a character in some of the Godzilla movies.

Not to derail the thread, but where drd the name come from?

On the OP:
As an interviewer this year, I admit I don't care much what the lighting and background is as long as it isn't something crazily and obviously inappropriate. You don't need to go get studio lights - just turn your bedroom light on. You don't need to green-screen a throne room around you, but please don't have underwear hanging from the ceiling fan in view of the camera. Dress as you would for a normal interview, but we obviously don't know if you're wearing slacks or boxers and we really don't care...just don't get up :>

Reactions: 1 users

On the OP:
As an interviewer this year, I admit I don't care much what the lighting and background is as long as it isn't something crazily and obviously inappropriate. You don't need to go get studio lights - just turn your bedroom light on. You don't need to green-screen a throne room around you, but please don't have underwear hanging from the ceiling fan in view of the camera. Dress as you would for a normal interview, but we obviously don't know if you're wearing slacks or boxers and we really don't care...just don't get up :>
In all honesty, it's a family name.

Reactions: 1 user

On the OP:

Thank you!!! That is very reassuring. I've seen a few people with some elaborate set-ups and as my interview is Wednesday I am inclined to focus more on preparing for the actual conversation vs. trying to learn how to set-up an in-home studio thing. Thank you!!!