1. Dismiss Notice
  2. Download free Tapatalk for iPhone or Tapatalk for Android for your phone and follow the SDN forums with push notifications.
    Dismiss Notice

Virtual Medical School in Development

Discussion in 'Medical Students - MD' started by Doctor&Geek, Oct 10, 2002.

1. Doctor&Geek

Doctor&Geek 25 > 5 / 15 < 8
    Physician PhD Lifetime Donor Classifieds Approved 10+ Year Member

Fellow [Any Field]
  2. Note: SDN Members do not see this ad.

3. southerndoc

southerndoc life is good
    Physician Moderator Emeritus Lifetime Donor Classifieds Approved 10+ Year Member

Attending Physician
    No different than PBL in my opinion.

4. MustafaMond

MustafaMond K-Diddy M.D.
    7+ Year Member

:laugh: :laugh: :laugh:
    THat's Chump Change!

Greaaaat Idea....Lame Execution.

5. Annette

Annette gainfully employed
    Lifetime Donor Classifieds Approved 10+ Year Member

Attending Physician

Don't you mean CHAMP change???:laugh:

6. secretwave101

secretwave101 Senior Member
    10+ Year Member

Attending Physician
    It's an awesome idea. If they really put the appropriate resources behind the program, it will be a huge benefit to medical systems everywhere.

I'm into my second year now, and have come to the conclusion that the 1 year is a waste anyway, if you're a science major. 4 years is excessive, inefficient and annoyingly slow. I'm studying cardiology right now, and I've had so many repeat lectures on congenital hrt. ds. I can't believe it. Plumbing school takes 2 months, law school takes 4 + 3 years. It makes no sense that medical school is so much longer: 4 + 4 + 3-7. The only people who benefit from the unbelievable length are the schools we pay.

One day I will make money, lots of money, from people who are the often weakest in society. It should be the other way around. So, the less debt I have after school, the more I can do for people who have no money. But the amount of debt a medical student has after school makes the majority of us DEMAND high salaries so we can break even and maybe own a house one day.

The 3rd and 4th years need to be done in a teaching hospital, and probably consoloidated (the last half of 4th year, I've heard, mostly consists of traveling, paying tuition, and maybe doing a clinical elective if you're ambitious. The 1st two years should be consolidated too. They could be done more cheaply, and much more efficiently. A web-based program would allow all of this for much less.

7. Kirk

Kirk Senior Member
    10+ Year Member

When you graduate, do you get a VMD? Virtual Medical Doctorate? :D

8. Purifyer

Purifyer Dr. Funk
    7+ Year Member

I think I once saw a poster regarding 'virtual med school'... from samoa... :). Hehe.

I think this is a great idea for what it is trying to achieve; to give third world countries access to first world education.

9. paean

paean Senior Member
    7+ Year Member

I think it's a great idea that has the potential to help medical schools worldwide (and not just in the third world) improve their curriculums. As far as I understand, it sounds a lot like the direction many US schools are moving towards, incorporating interactive learning and intergrated cases to teach the basic and clinical sciences. If students spend 30% of their time in the clinic/hospital during their first two years, they will have significantly more patient contact than most US students.