1. The SDN iPhone App is back and free through November! Get it today and please post a review on the App Store!
    Dismiss Notice
  2. Dismiss Notice

Virtual Medical School in Development

Discussion in 'Medical Students - MD' started by Doctor&Geek, Oct 10, 2002.

1. Doctor&Geek

Doctor&Geek 25 > 5 / 15 < 8
    Physician PhD Lifetime Donor Classifieds Approved 10+ Year Member

Fellow [Any Field]
  2. Note: SDN Members do not see this ad.

3. southerndoc

southerndoc life is good
    Physician Moderator Emeritus Lifetime Donor Classifieds Approved 10+ Year Member

Attending Physician
    No different than PBL in my opinion.

4. MustafaMond

MustafaMond K-Diddy M.D.
    7+ Year Member

:laugh: :laugh: :laugh:
    THat's Chump Change!

Greaaaat Idea....Lame Execution.

5. Annette

Annette gainfully employed
    Lifetime Donor Classifieds Approved 10+ Year Member

Attending Physician

Don't you mean CHAMP change???:laugh:

6. secretwave101

secretwave101 Senior Member
    10+ Year Member

Attending Physician
    It's an awesome idea. If they really put the appropriate resources behind the program, it will be a huge benefit to medical systems everywhere.

I'm into my second year now, and have come to the conclusion that the 1 year is a waste anyway, if you're a science major. 4 years is excessive, inefficient and annoyingly slow. I'm studying cardiology right now, and I've had so many repeat lectures on congenital hrt. ds. I can't believe it. Plumbing school takes 2 months, law school takes 4 + 3 years. It makes no sense that medical school is so much longer: 4 + 4 + 3-7. The only people who benefit from the unbelievable length are the schools we pay.

One day I will make money, lots of money, from people who are the often weakest in society. It should be the other way around. So, the less debt I have after school, the more I can do for people who have no money. But the amount of debt a medical student has after school makes the majority of us DEMAND high salaries so we can break even and maybe own a house one day.

The 3rd and 4th years need to be done in a teaching hospital, and probably consoloidated (the last half of 4th year, I've heard, mostly consists of traveling, paying tuition, and maybe doing a clinical elective if you're ambitious. The 1st two years should be consolidated too. They could be done more cheaply, and much more efficiently. A web-based program would allow all of this for much less.

7. Kirk

Kirk Senior Member
    10+ Year Member

When you graduate, do you get a VMD? Virtual Medical Doctorate? :D

8. Purifyer

Purifyer Dr. Funk
    7+ Year Member

I think I once saw a poster regarding 'virtual med school'... from samoa... :). Hehe.

I think this is a great idea for what it is trying to achieve; to give third world countries access to first world education.

9. paean

paean Senior Member
    7+ Year Member

I think it's a great idea that has the potential to help medical schools worldwide (and not just in the third world) improve their curriculums. As far as I understand, it sounds a lot like the direction many US schools are moving towards, incorporating interactive learning and intergrated cases to teach the basic and clinical sciences. If students spend 30% of their time in the clinic/hospital during their first two years, they will have significantly more patient contact than most US students.