Virtual/Online Tumor Boards

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

BobbyHeenan

10+ Year Member
Reaction score
What programs does everyone use for tumor boards where you can share screens, etc and call in/view in remotely?

I used gotomeeting for this before, but administration making noise about "not secure enough."

Any help is greatly appreciated.

Members don't see this ad.

Members don't see this ad :)
Webex, which I think is fantastic. I've been using it for 9 years now for my head and neck tumor board with no problems.

Zoom. Has been working very well for us. And is approved by the HIPAA/security honchos.

I'm surprised to see so many people have successfully implemented virtual tumor boards. I would love to do so but in all hospitals where we are privileged such proposals are in IT hell due concerns over cybersecurity and HIPPA.

I'm surprised to see so many people have successfully implemented virtual tumor boards. I would love to do so but in all hospitals where we are privileged such proposals are in IT hell due concerns over cybersecurity and HIPPA.

just cough and yell coronavirus!

I'm doing it completely outside of any hospital system, which has allowed me to be completely in charge. I have to do all the work, but I'm in charge.

Without patient names or identifiers, and with the invite being sent only to clinical personnel who would be able to help with care (with a password to get in), it's HIPAA compliant. Nice to be able to just DO something, I have to admit.

Having said that, after seeing my success all the hospital systems in town started doing Webex tumor boards as well, including HCA-affiliated hospitals, so it's definitely HIPAA-compliant.

I'm doing it completely outside of any hospital system, which has allowed me to be completely in charge. I have to do all the work, but I'm in charge.

Without patient names or identifiers, and with the invite being sent only to clinical personnel who would be able to help with care (with a password to get in), it's HIPAA compliant. Nice to be able to just DO something, I have to admit.

Having said that, after seeing my success all the hospital systems in town started doing Webex tumor boards as well, including HCA-affiliated hospitals, so it's definitely HIPAA-compliant.

Damn dude, you’re awesome!

I'm running into that...but I think it's hospital mid management and IT protecting their jobs more than real concerns.

I've run gotomeetings myself well, but get MAJOR pushback from IT about why this is a bad idea. I think they think if we figure out how to do it ourselves then we won't need them.

I hate to be cynical, but over the years I've discovered that 50% of hospital admin services are dedicated to protecting their own job more than actual usefulness.

Reactions: 4 users
Currently... 'advised' to be at home due to symptoms (though I don't meet test criterial so who knows). Our tumor boards are broadcast locally across several sites. Called IT, they gave me a login so I'll be attending from home tomorrow. Took 5 min. Yay for a useful IT service.

Reactions: 1 user
I hate to be cynical, but over the years I've discovered that 50% of hospital admin services are dedicated to protecting their own job more than actual usefulness.
IT does that for sure. They design extensively complex systems, which only they will figure out. So whenever the administration needs to save some money and considers reducing IT workforce, the argument pops up "Oh, you can't fire John, he's the only one that understands the system. We will be screwed without him."

IT does that for sure. They design extensively complex systems, which only they will figure out. So whenever the administration needs to save some money and considers reducing IT workforce, the argument pops up "Oh, you can't fire John, he's the only one that understands the system. We will be screwed without him."

It's like you've sat in on our tumor boards/video conference. My goodness, it's like you're there.

WE literally have a group of 15 people there, all with advanced degrees, PhDs, etc and we can't operate the video conference system unless IT is there. If we want to have an impromptu video conference we have to call IT to "schedule" it and set it up.

We have the brain power to do it, but it's so amazingly complex and opaque that it's impossible.

Reactions: 1 users
It's like you've sat in on our tumor boards/video conference. My goodness, it's like you're there.

WE literally have a group of 15 people there, all with advanced degrees, PhDs, etc and we can't operate the video conference system unless IT is there. If we want to have an impromptu video conference we have to call IT to "schedule" it and set it up.

We have the brain power to do it, but it's so amazingly complex and opaque that it's impossible.

I feel the same way regarding billing. No matter how many times I think I figured it out, they always find something new I should have done differently.