Virtual Podiatric Med School Fair (Feb. 7)

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

dr.phoot

7+ Year Member
Reaction score
Just got the email today. Did anyone else receive one? What was it like in the previous years?

Members don't see this ad.

Reactions: 1 users
I got the email.

I think it’s a step in the right direction to partner with exam krackers. Put it into the subconscious mind of the premed that podiatry exists.

Reactions: 2 users
I got the email.

I think it’s a step in the right direction to partner with exam krackers. Put it into the subconscious mind of the premed that podiatry exists.

+1 I got it also. Step in the right direction to increase applicants

Reactions: 1 user
Members don't see this ad :)
You're Invited!

The American Association of Colleges of Podiatric Medicine would like to invite you to register for the Virtual Podiatric Medical School Fair, which will be held on February 7, 2018 from 11AM to 6PM eastern. This is a FREE event for high school and college students who are interested in exploring careers in medicine. We'll be covering podiatric medicine as a career choice - from surgery to wound care to sport medicine, podiatric physicians provide a wide range of care for their patients. Representative from each of the nine U.S. schools of podiatric medicine will be available during the day to chat. Additionally, we’ll have current students, faculty and DPM Speakers and Mentors available to share why they chose podiatric medicine.

We’re also excited to announce that we’ve partnered with ExamKrackers for this event; ExamKrackers instructors will be providing tips throughout the day for prepping for the MCAT and one lucky virtual fair participant will win one FREE ExamKrackers Test Prep Lesson!

See yourself in a white coat when you Discover Podiatric Medicine. Registration is available here: http://careereco.com/events/podiatry

We look forward to meeting you then!

Also got this. Curious as to how they got my info. Haven't taken MCAT yet...

Also got this. Curious as to how they got my info. Haven't taken MCAT yet...
I’m sure they have everyone’s email saved from applications. It’s from the pod application service not AAMC. So probably anyone who has started a app for pod school

I’m sure they have everyone’s email saved from applications. It’s from the pod application service not AAMC. So probably anyone who has started a app for pod school

Yeah, the sender address shows it's from the pod association

And this means they're not really reaching out to that broad of an audience then, right? If you've started the AACPMAS application then you already know about podiatry

Prolly. But the exam krackers partnering is a big deal. Lots of people know MD/DO, but don’t know that Pod exists/is a separate school and that they use the mcat. DO was mentioned multiple times when I took the exam krackers course. Imagine adding pod into that.

And this means they're not really reaching out to that broad of an audience then, right? If you've started the AACPMAS application then you already know about podiatry

I’m sure the branching out to EK will do something with advertisement. Maybe including pod into the discussion when MD/DO is mentioned like gypsy is talking about. Which would def increase apps dramatically I think. But then again pod doesn’t necessarily need a huge increase due to the lack of spots... but a few hundred apps with good Mcats and GPAs could do a lot of good

It would be interesting to see if pod school MCAT averages ever go up to the 500 mark.

I’m sure the branching out to EK will do something with advertisement. Maybe including pod into the discussion when MD/DO is mentioned like gypsy is talking about. Which would def increase apps dramatically I think. But then again pod doesn’t necessarily need a huge increase due to the lack of spots... but a few hundred apps with good Mcats and GPAs could do a lot of good

I'm not to sure about this.

Majority applying pod spend time trying to apply MD/DO/whatever first before considering pod. That's at least 1-3 gap years.

Increased number of apps over time, not instantly.

Higher stat applicants who are serious about podiatry (not a replacement for MD/DO) > increased number of apps.

Ultimately that's what you want for the profession to move forward. May not happen that way.

Members don't see this ad :)

Majority applying pod spend time trying to apply MD/DO/whatever first before considering pod. That's at least 1-3 gap years.

Higher stat applicants who are serious about podiatry (not a replacement for MD/DO) > increased number of apps.

Ultimately that's what you want for the profession to move forward. May not happen that way.
I mean dramatically compared to the number now is like 100 lol I don’t mean let’s go from 1k to 5k apps

I mean dramatically compared to the number now is like 100 lol I don’t mean let’s go from 1k to 5k apps
Completely agree.

We cheer ourselves inside a little every time we see you guys come in for interviews.

Even if its just 1 at times.

Haven’t started an app yet. Not applying until August.

Haven’t started an app yet. Not applying until August.
Oh I have no clue then.. guess they were able to get emails from AAMC or something then. Guess that’s good too

What I find weird (weirdy?) is that every other professional school, (MD/DO OD PharmD DPT Nursing etc), has literally thousands of applicants to choose from. Some of these professions are worse off than pods (pharm comes to mind), so why does the general pre-whatever biology/chemistry student choose different paths? My thought is advertising, most people dont know pods exist and what they do. I spoke with a bio student who tried twice to get into med school, both MD/DO and I had to explain what a podiatrist does and what they are.

New York and Kent State podiatry school spamming my email is not what I call quality advertising. If you want quality applicants, you need quality advertising.

I am torn however on whether the governing body should expand in the far future (not now, residency is too precarious). Less people entering the profession means less people competing for jobs in the market. On the other hand, less people equals less lobbying power.

What I find weird (weirdy?) is that every other professional school, (MD/DO OD PharmD DPT Nursing etc), has literally thousands of applicants to choose from. Some of these professions are worse off than pods (pharm comes to mind), so why does the general pre-whatever biology/chemistry student choose different paths? My thought is advertising, most people dont know pods exist and what they do. I spoke with a bio student who tried twice to get into med school, both MD/DO and I had to explain what a podiatrist does and what they are.

New York and Kent State podiatry school spamming my email is not what I call quality advertising. If you want quality applicants, you need quality advertising.

I am torn however on whether the governing body should expand in the far future (not now, residency is too precarious). Less people entering the profession means less people competing for jobs in the market. On the other hand, less people equals less lobbying power.
I think eventually whoever is in charge will step the game up.. maybe this year maybe in 10 years.. but at the same time I think that pod schools just generally don’t think they need advertisements. Historically apps vs acceptances is still 60 percent(ish I’m not trying to turn that into a side conversation) acceptance rate which is a bit more than MD and DO obviously which is like 40-50 percent. But Idk something tells me they don’t advertise because they want to keep pod so exclusive to the people who really look into it rather than “another option” for medicine. No one knows truly

I think advertising is only beneficial. Having more applicants is only beneficial for the field.

Having more applicants doesn't mean that there should be more matriculants.
Having more applicants will only be better, not worse. The larger the pool, the better are chances to accept more qualified students.

But Idk something tells me they don’t advertise because they want to keep pod so exclusive to the people who really look into it
I don't know the exact statistics, but I think majority of applicants are still those who first applied or considered MD/DO. I don' think there are many of those who only thought about and applied to podiatry only.

Advertising more, will only bring more applicants with genuine interest in podiatry, not less.

Completely agree.

It took a faculty member flying across the country to a health fair to get me to seriously consider podiatry.

You also have to factor in exposure to podiatry: most college graduates don't have enough foot problems to go to a podiatrist.

A somewhat niche market and specific part of the body limits how any young healthy people get exposure to the profession.

When and if you get into podiatry school, consider being active within your school in spreading information about the profession.

Its also not the most dreamy profession/specialization. Nobody gets hot and bothered by Frank, the foot and ankle guy. Most people have unrealistic expectations of medicine that they see on TV, that if they go to MD/DO school they are doctor McDreamy/Steamy Cardio-Thorastic Brain surgeon who has women throwing themselves at them while making oodles of money. While its somewhat true that nurses kind of throw themselves at doctors (seriously, its like drama central at a hospital), the people dont see the darker side of the romance; the cheating/divorce/child support that drains the bank and emotional account. In reality, they are going to be a Primary care doc managing someone's diabetus, or performing a cyst drainage, neither of which is show in great detail on greys anatomy.

I would hazard to guess Podiatry is a bit more grounded. Its not as attractive to say podiatrist. Though I know of one podiatry "player" who has broken quite alot of hearts over the years lol.

That's why I plan on being as unattractive as possible. Works for me!

Completely agree.

It took a faculty member flying across the country to a health fair to get me to seriously consider podiatry.

You also have to factor in exposure to podiatry: most college graduates don't have enough foot problems to go to a podiatrist.

A somewhat niche market and specific part of the body limits how any young healthy people get exposure to the profession.

When and if you get into podiatry school, consider being active within your school in spreading information about the profession.

Its also not the most dreamy profession/specialization. Nobody gets hot and bothered by Frank, the foot and ankle guy. Most people have unrealistic expectations of medicine that they see on TV, that if they go to MD/DO school they are doctor McDreamy/Steamy Cardio-Thorastic Brain surgeon who has women throwing themselves at them while making oodles of money. While its somewhat true that nurses kind of throw themselves at doctors (seriously, its like drama central at a hospital), the people dont see the darker side of the romance; the cheating/divorce/child support that drains the bank and emotional account. In reality, they are going to be a Primary care doc managing someone's diabetus, or performing a cyst drainage, neither of which is show in great detail on greys anatomy.

I would hazard to guess Podiatry is a bit more grounded. Its not as attractive to say podiatrist. Though I know of one podiatry "player" who has broken quite alot of hearts over the years lol.

I know a lot of high specialty MD's in medicine and after 7 years for plastics (one of my family members), or vascular surgery, or a few others + (fellowships) , you're not very hot and dreamy (or young) lol. Usually overweight, losing hair and stressed

A lady presented to us about this. Great information especially for anyone considering podiatry.

I think podiatry will def be more competitive in the near future. I remember the same thing in D.O. When I was a senior in high school, I got into a 7 year D.O program with decent grades and with an on site interview, and now D.O is just as hard to get into as M.D. They also used to offer grade replacement, and now that is gone. I think as more pre meds with 3.3-3.6 gpa realize M.D and D.O is too tough to get into, they will explore other options of becoming a doctor and with more ads, will discover or apply to pod school.

This made me laugh :laugh:

& if you know you like to have a good time, why not just delay marriage & children until you get the fun out of your system? Also, consider not being too transparent about how much you really make, so you can filter out the gold diggers. This is the benefit to having a high school sweetheart -- she was with you (even) during the time you had nothing!

Your post brought the lol

All those reasons why I stopped watching Grey's Anatomy after the first few episodes!!!
Big fan of Scrubs, House and a bit of ChicagoMed though.

:couchpotato:

Ha, to be fair urology is a highly sought after specialty
I think podiatry will def be more competitive in the near future. I remember the same thing in D.O. When I was a senior in high school, I got into a 7 year D.O program with decent grades and with an on site interview, and now D.O is just as hard to get into as M.D. They also used to offer grade replacement, and now that is gone. I think as more pre meds with 3.3-3.6 gpa realize M.D and D.O is too tough to get into, they will explore other options of becoming a doctor and with more ads, will discover or apply to pod school.

Additionally, the fact that podiatry offers you quality of life + surgery will catch on to people soon enough. Many people want to operate, but not many want to work 90+ hours a week until they’re 50.

Idk there’s multiple DO schools opening every single year, and a lot of these have low admission stats. Plus post bachelorette programs are huge these days. One could simply do one and backdoor into a MD/DO school.

Let’s be honest here. There was an applicant crisis last cycle. Do you really think a single online podiatry info seminar is going to drastically change applicant numbers for the upcoming cycle? Maybe in a few years it will become slightly more popular, but podiatry will always be behind md /do. I agree podiatry is a great field, but it just does not have the prestige that other fields do. At least I hope I’m right since I’m applying next cycle and I can use all the help I can get lol.

Last edited:
Reactions: 3 users
You're Invited!

The American Association of Colleges of Podiatric Medicine would like to invite you to register for the Virtual Podiatric Medical School Fair, which will be held on February 7, 2018 from 11AM to 6PM eastern. This is a FREE event for high school and college students who are interested in exploring careers in medicine. We'll be covering podiatric medicine as a career choice - from surgery to wound care to sport medicine, podiatric physicians provide a wide range of care for their patients. Representative from each of the nine U.S. schools of podiatric medicine will be available during the day to chat. Additionally, we’ll have current students, faculty and DPM Speakers and Mentors available to share why they chose podiatric medicine.

We’re also excited to announce that we’ve partnered with ExamKrackers for this event; ExamKrackers instructors will be providing tips throughout the day for prepping for the MCAT and one lucky virtual fair participant will win one FREE ExamKrackers Test Prep Lesson!

See yourself in a white coat when you Discover Podiatric Medicine. Registration is available here: http://careereco.com/events/podiatry

We look forward to meeting you then!
I got this too. Does anyone know how its gonna be? Is this is a webcam thing, or just chatting?

That’s not very hopeful, dochopeful

Idk there’s multiple DO schools opening every single year, and a lot of these have low admission stats. Plus post bachelorette programs are huge these days. One could simply do one and backdoor into a MD/DO school.

Let’s be honest here. There was an applicant crisis last cycle. Do you really think a single online podiatry info seminar is going to drastically change applicant numbers for the upcoming cycle? Maybe in a few years it will become slightly more popular, but podiatry will always be behind md /do. I agree podiatry is a great field, but it just does not have the prestige that other fields do. At least I hope I’m right since I’m applying next cycle and I can use all the help I can get lol.

Im going to strongly disagree here. Luckily I shadowed at a hospital where there three pods and on of them was extremely well known for a variant he popularized on a certain procedure. The other was well known for just being a good "surgical podiatrist" (he did all the ankle/foot reconstructions). And I will say between the MD/DO/DPM you could not tell who as who by how the patients treated them (9/10 patients don't even know any of them are seperate schools), or by how they treated each other. There was respect between all of them.

At the end of the day you will gain recognition and prestige by what you do with the scope of your specialty. I can tell you for certain I would much rather be known to be a good/known surgical podiatrist than I would be a run of the mill MD/DO going into IM, FM, PCP (which takes up a big majority now especially DO). Your initials are not your prestige and I wish premeds would get it through their thick skulls that grinding a 520 mcat and 3.8 GPA isn't going to get you to be "prestigious"/wealthy just cause you got into an MD school. It's what you make of it afterwards.

On another note I do think podiatry will pick up applicants the more well known it gets but with the lack of spots there it doesn't really need to be a huge pickup or anything. The profession has done fine with the caliber of applicants it has had.

Last edited: