Visa for a Canadian studying in the Carribean and writing the USMLE and doing rotations in US

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

bunnyr

10+ Year Member
Reaction score
So the title pretty much says it all. I am a Canadian who is attending a Caribbean medical school.
I am in my last semester in class. My next steps are to write the NBME Basic Sciences Exam, USMLE step 1, begin clinical rotations.

I am having a hard time finding information online and I am not in Canada so I cannot go to the embassy to ask questions.

Would I need any kind of visa to write the USMLE step 1 in the US? If so, any ideas which one?

I think for the rotations I need a B1 visa and letter from my school and hospital where I will be doing rotations? Is this somewhat accurate?

Any info would be greatly appreciated!

Members don't see this ad.

I don't think you need a visa to write the Step 2 CS since you are literally just visiting the US and as long as you don't work and are there for less than (insert number of weeks) its fine.

If you are writing the step 1 i'm pretty sure you can write it in a lot of places all you need is a test centre so you can probably write it in Canada.

Not sure about the rotations part