Visa/Residency Question

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

thewhitecoat

10+ Year Member
Reaction score
I'm not sure if this is the right place for this post, if not please move appropriately.

My background:

Canadian citizen, attended top 10 US college, currently accepted at a couple US medical schools.

My Question:

What is the general opinion on getting into competitive US residencies as a US educated Canadian? I know that many hospitals are hesitant about handing out H1b visas and would rather give the less useful J1, but it seems only to be the case for 'easier' residencies.

For example if I'm interested in the surgical specialties and ultimately becoming a practicing surgeon in the states, would there even be a point in going to a US medical school knowing that such residencies basically don't even consider applicants who need a visa (I'm assuming this is the case)? Or would the better route be to go to a Canadian school and Canadian surgical residency, then move down south? What would be the easier route?

From what I've gathered from sdn, I know that attaining a green card would make my life a lot easier for residencies, but that it would take three years after marriage to get it. Does that mean (hypothetically) that I would have to get married at latest sometime within the 1st year of medical school while on a F-1 to be eligible for a green card when residencies roll around? Of course this is ethically a terrible reason to get married, but I'm just wondering about my options.

Many Thanks!

Members don't see this ad.