visa status changes from h1 to F1 of B1/B2 to F1

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

dentousa

10+ Year Member
Reaction score
Any one here who need to change his/her status from H1 to F1 or B1/ B2 to F1??

I need some information for visa status change

Members don't see this ad.

Hey m 2 having same doubt how would i change my b1/b2 visa?? Cn we change it in usa or have to aply frm home country? Scary thing is that what if they cancel B1/B2 visa also? As u never knw wat hapens at embasy and for us its question of carier ! Plz guys guide me thnx v much in advance )

Hey m 2 having same doubt how would i change my b1/b2 visa?? Cn we change it in usa or have to aply frm home country? Scary thing is that what if they cancel B1/B2 visa also? As u never knw wat hapens at embasy and for us its question of carier ! Plz guys guide me thnx v much in advance )
I am in a same bout thats why I need help If some one had same sitauation in the past

can help us

Members don't see this ad :)
I don't think you can be in 2 different visa status at the same time. And you cannot study on a B visa. After acceptance to a school, you'll probably have to go to your home country or outside the US to get a new stamp I think. I dont know if you can do the change being in the US though.:confused:

I don't think you can be in 2 different visa status at the same time. And you cannot study on a B visa. After acceptance to a school, you'll probably have to go to your home country or outside the US to get a new stamp I think. I dont know if you can do the change being in the US though.:confused:
I heard that we can change any visa status to any in the usa we don't need to go home country immediatly and we can continue our study but in our passport is not stamped and for stamping of passport we have to go out side of usa doesn't matter where we can also stamping done in near country suppose from canada or we can go to home country
we can change status from B1/B2 to F1 and H1 to F1 but I am not sure about it

I also have same issues,changing from b2 to f1.
what i know is tht u can change ur status from b2 to f 1 while in the usa but for this u have to apply early like 45 days before the i 94 expiration date...and in least before ur i 94 expires.
in the other option,u can go outside usa to apply for student visa and tht can be ur home country or other country like canada and u get ur visa on time,not have to wait till the last second.
I don't know wht is best for me...depends on time constraints i think.
wht u r going for?

I also neeed to change my visa status from b1 to F1..r u sure u can do it in Usa....b'coz from wat I hav heard is that at the present scenario, Its not posiible to do that..and u need to go to ur hme country for the same..

I believe it is quite hard to get your visa at Canada if this is not country of residence.

just check the uscis site for their current conditions.though it seems difficult to get frm canada but if u have solid reasons like going to ur country would be too late ets thn it makes sense.

I heard that we can change any visa status to any in the usa we don't need to go home country immediatly and we can continue our study but in our passport is not stamped and for stamping of passport we have to go out side of usa doesn't matter where we can also stamping done in near country suppose from canada or we can go to home country
we can change status from B1/B2 to F1 and H1 to F1 but I am not sure about it
You can go from F to H or vice versa in the US. Its the change from B to F/H I am not sure about at all.

The problem with going to a 3rd country ie if you are Indian and are thinking of going to Canada to get the visa stamp, the issue is what if you don't get the visa? You *may not be able to get back to the US and will have to go back to India(in this example)

thank you LA FEA

la fea is very helpful persone

he/she is always eagar to help everyone on sdn

he/she gave answer of all my question

thank you again

Dear All

You can change B1/B2 to F1 as I did. I was lucky enough as I got approved in just 28 days, however I was tole it may take few months and I did it all myself, no need of lawyer. U need to send I-20, application letter and bank balance.

Good luck to all

Dentnep

Dear All

You can change B1/B2 to F1 as I did. I was lucky enough as I got approved in just 28 days, however I was tole it may take few months and I did it all myself, no need of lawyer. U need to send I-20, application letter and bank balance.

Good luck to all

Dentnep
dentnep72

please give me all detail

how you did it

from where you did all the procedure from usa of from home country

and we have to appear for interview at usa consulate ?

and for bank balance its impossible to show $200000 balance if we got addmission at nyu

and where your stamping done in usa or home country???

Members don't see this ad :)
hello dentnep,

I'm adding one more question to the above list...

how many days before ur i 94 expiration date u filed the application for change of status? shd it be 45 days or we can apply just before i 94 expires?

thnx.

how you did it

from where you did all the procedure from usa of from home country

and we have to appear for interview at usa consulate ?

and for bank balance its impossible to show $200000 balance if we got addmission at nyu

and where your stamping done in usa or home country???

1. apply by paper
2. exchange is only possible in USA
3. there is no interview
4.then you can not apply for a change of status
5. there is no visa in the passport, which means that once you leave USA, for any reason, you cannot re-enter without new application and interview in the appropriate consulate.

6. you can apply at any time, BUT if you get refusal and your I-94 had expired you are out of status/illegal in the USA with all the consequencies...

B2 to F1 can be changed. I did it last year, but it took me 5 months. you can go out of status during waiting time and it can be very risky. Do it only when you have very compelling circumstances or you are sure that you won't get visa from your home country.
I did it my self, if you don't know get the help of an immigration lawyer.

hello dentnep,

I'm adding one more question to the above list...

how many days before ur i 94 expiration date u filed the application for change of status? shd it be 45 days or we can apply just before i 94 expires?

thnx.

you can apply it before I-94 expiration, but don't overstay more than 6 months past I-94 as if you get rejected you accure not only illegal stay, but also you can be suject to reentry bar depending upon the amount of illegal stay that you accured.

Hello,

I am not plannning to change in to f1 now. After six mths or a year, I want to!
Can I do that? Do we need to get lawyer for this process or is it doable by ourself?

Hello,

I am not plannning to change in to f1 now. After six mths or a year, I want to!
Can I do that? Do we need to get lawyer for this process or is it doable by ourself?
You can do it with the help of the International Student Office in your school. Dont have to have a lawyer.

hey,
i'm also trying to change my status from F2 to F1, is there anybody out there that has the same change experience?
i want to know how long did it take for em to change the visa?

thanks

hey,
i'm also trying to change my status from F2 to F1, is there anybody out there that has the same change experience?
i want to know how long did it take for em to change the visa?

thanks
Hi
I too wanna same
Can we continue studying with I-20 or we've to wait till F1 comes?:(
Do u anyone knows the process for F2 - F1
plzz help.....

La Fea is really really very helpful. As long as I have been here, he/she was always trying very hard to help other ppl and share the information. Thank you so much.

Please consult an Immigration attorney and discuss the matter. There are several useful forums for immigration. murthy dot come and rajiv khanna dot com are couple of popular ones. Good luck.

You can change B1/B2 -> F1 only from your home country. Also they cannot cancel your B1/B2 visa while applying for F1 visa regardless of you are getting F1 visa or not. B1/B2 visa should remain in your passport till its (Visa's) expiry date.

I believe same thing applies for H1 visa. However, after getting F1 visa, the H1 visa should be canceled by VFS. They will stamp "Canceled without Prejudice." However, I would say - careful in this case. If you have applied GC on H1 visa, your status indicate you want to become a permanent residence of the USA. This is exactly opposite of F1 visa application. In that case, you need to convinece the visa officer about a concerete reason. I hope I am not scaring you. If you are on H1 visa, consult your company attorney for advice. There are several cases where students successfully converted H1 -> F1.

You can go from F to H or vice versa in the US. Its the change from B to F/H I am not sure about at all.

The problem with going to a 3rd country ie if you are Indian and are thinking of going to Canada to get the visa stamp, the issue is what if you don't get the visa? You *may not be able to get back to the US and will have to go back to India(in this example)

I do not agree. If you do not get the visa in 3rd country, you can come back to USA on your regular visa (in your passport).

However, I agree that it is much advisable to convert the visa in home country. You will be given preference. In 3rd country, you will be treated as 3rd country candidate. And lot of rules are different from countries to countries. For F1, think about financial statements, IT returns, Affidavit of Financial Support etc. All these things are different in 3rd country compared with your own country.

Also if you are in trouble, your family will able to help.

I do not agree. If you do not get the visa in 3rd country, you can come back to USA on your regular visa (in your passport).

However, I agree that it is much advisable to convert the visa in home country. You will be given preference. In 3rd country, you will be treated as 3rd country candidate. And lot of rules are different from countries to countries. For F1, think about financial statements, IT returns, Affidavit of Financial Support etc. All these things are different in 3rd country compared with your own country.

Also if you are in trouble, your family will able to help.

No, What La Fea said is correct. If you go to a 3rd country to get a change of status done and get rejected, they will cancel your existing visa and you CANNOT enter back into the US. With all due respect, please don't give immigration advices to people when you are not sure. I'd advise folks to consult an immigration expert to deal with these matters. Good luck.

I did it last October, from b1 - f1, and it also took me 5 month to complete this process. Because of the economy is bad and new president of US, I do think this kind of application will be easily to be done.

However, what I worry about is what time I can go back to my home country, or I can not go back untill I get my degree.

Because I heard that the consulate, in the home country, really did not like this behavior happened. Perhaps they will reject me to give me a new visa while I get back to my country in the summer break.

I did it last October, from b1 - f1, and it also took me 5 month to complete this process. Because of the economy is bad and new president of US, I do think this kind of application will be easily to be done.

However, what I worry about is what time I can go back to my home country, or I can not go back untill I get my degree.

Because I heard that the consulate, in the home country, really did not like this behavior happened. Perhaps they will reject me to give me a new visa while I get back to my country in the summer break.
how you did all this procedure can you tell detail step-by-step

how you did all this procedure can you tell detail step-by-step
1. apply school
2. get i-20 from school (you can not registered any courses until you get F1 status, and I am pretty sure that ISO of your school will tell you that. In other words, you can not go to class and take credit points, but you still can sit into the class to have a lesson once that teacher allow. But be sure, you do not have any credit points.)
3. find one immigation attorney who can handle this case
4. the attorney will do something for you, like writing letter for immigation department; actually, I do not think you need attorney to help you do anything, and all you need to do is just submiting all the documents that immigation department needs.
5. wait, wait, wait ........ till you get approval letter.

P.S: Generally speaking, you will get approval letter before you see the change of your case online. Online status is always slow.

Last edited:
1. apply school
2. get i-20 from school (you can not registered any courses until you get F1 status, and I am pretty sure that ISO of your school will tell you that. In other words, you can not go to class and take credit points, but you still can sit into the class to have a lesson once that teacher allow. But be sure, you do not have any credit points.)
4. the attorney will do something for you, like writing letter for immigation department; actually, I do not think you need attorney to help you do anything, and all you need to do is just submiting all the documents that immigation department needs.

P.S: Generally speaking, you will get approval letter before you see the change of your case online. Online status is always slow.

Immigration matters cannot be taken frivolously, especially change of status requests. So, please consult an imigration lawyer on this. Argool was just lucky if he did everything by himself. You need a representative if there is a query or an issue during the process. I have been reiterating the same thing over and over again regarding immigration issues. I bet you can spend some money now by consulting an attorney rather than repenting later on wasting valuable time and effort. Good luck.

Immigration matters cannot be taken frivolously, especially change of status requests. So, please consult an imigration lawyer on this. Argool was just lucky if he did everything by himself. You need a representative if there is a query or an issue during the process. I have been reiterating the same thing over and over again regarding immigration issues. I bet you can spend some money now by consulting an attorney rather than repenting later on wasting valuable time and effort. Good luck.

Yes, you are right. I did find one attorney to help me handle such thing.

I just said that it is perhaps you need not to find attorney to complete that case.

Because I am lazy, I find attorney to help me. :laugh:

1. apply school

thank you very much

1. apply school

Hi argool
congrats at last u got it..
I need suggestions to change my status from F1 TO F2

1.u told that we can attend classes but we cant get credits, but I came to know that we must change our status to attend classes also..
2. what, if we've short of time like nyu going to start in june 1st.only in 2 months is it possible to get the visa or attorney will help to get it intime
plz help me :(

Hi argool

1.u told that we can attend classes but we cant get credits, but I came to know that we must change our status to attend classes also..
2. what, if we've short of time like nyu going to start in june 1st.only in 2 months is it possible to get the visa or attorney will help to get it intime

Well, i just want to try my best to help you guys, because i totally understand your current feeling. before, I spent a lot of time online to search some helpful information. I am one who experienced that situation.

1. Yeah, you can attend into class without any credit points. you just audit. I hope I use the correct word to describe. To attend (a course) without requesting or receiving academic credit. You are not student of that school yet, and you just listen the course with permission of the teacher. You need not to(or can not) take the exam or any other jobs that other students need to do. Because you are ADUIT.

2. I do not understand your second question, please give me an example or some detail. thanks.

Hi argool

Hi
if you change from F1 to F2 you are not allowed to attend any class. sorry to say this but rules have changed and you can not audit the class. You can be on H4 to study that is in state.
I-20 process and all is generally done by school, unless the school you are attending asks you to do all the work.
generally the visa process takes time from 3 weeks to 3 months.
if you don't get the visa in hand it might be a good idea to ask in the international center what your options are.
you can ask questions like this at your school international center. they are the best source. we can only suggest. but every school has there own policies.

Well, i just want to try my best to help you guys, because i totally understand your current feeling. before, I spent a lot of time online to search some helpful information. I am one who experienced that situation.

1. Yeah, you can attend into class without any credit points. you just audit. I hope I use the correct word to describe. To attend (a course) without requesting or receiving academic credit. You are not student of that school yet, and you just listen the course with permission of the teacher. You need not to(or can not) take the exam or any other jobs that other students need to do. Because you are ADUIT.

2. I do not understand your second question, please give me an example or some detail. thanks.

Hi
I'm sorry for the mistake, it is not f1 to f2. it is f2 to f1
my 2nd qs is u told that it took for almost 4-5 months to get ur status changed, but in my case i'm not having enough time only 45-50 days.so ? can i do to hasten my process?can attorney helps even in this case...

Hi
I'm sorry for the mistake, it is not f1 to f2. it is f2 to f1
my 2nd qs is u told that it took for almost 4-5 months to get ur status changed, but in my case i'm not having enough time only 45-50 days.so ? can i do to hasten my process?can attorney helps even in this case...
well, I understand it now.

about this question, I asked my attorney, too. He confirmed that I would be legal once the immigration department accepted your case, which means you got receipt of I-539 form from that department and then you would be fine.

Becase once you submit the application, you would be legal to stay.

But I do suggest you should contact certain immigration attorney, and then figure out your question.

Last edited:
Hi
if you change from F1 to F2 you are not allowed to attend any class. sorry to say this but rules have changed and you can not audit the class. You can be on H4 to study that is in state.
I-20 process and all is generally done by school, unless the school you are attending asks you to do all the work.
generally the visa process takes time from 3 weeks to 3 months.
if you don't get the visa in hand it might be a good idea to ask in the international center what your options are.
you can ask questions like this at your school international center. they are the best source. we can only suggest. but every school has there own policies.
yeah, you should be right. because i am from b1 - f1, i entered into class as audit.

i did not notice that she/he was f1 - f2..... i supposed that she/he masde a mistake.

hi can anyone help me abt AOS from B1/B2 to F1....
here r a couple of qs i need to ask

1. how much time does it take approx for change of visa status?
2. can i visit my home country after my change of status is approved?
3. if my i-94 is close to expiring can i apply for extension of b2/b2?
4. what is the success rate of change of status??

anyone wid info pls reply.....im very confused abt this...
thanks.

thanks.
1. do not know, depends on different situation that you are on; generally speaking, 3 months - 6months

2.i don know. i want to go back, too, but i do worry about if they can issue me the new visa in my home country.

3.just like i posted before, you would be legal once you get the receipt of i-539 form from immigartion department, even if your i-94 is expired.

4.who knows? but as far as i know, now it is not very difficult to get it done.

Last edited:

thanks.
2. You'll probably have to get a new visa stamped=F1

well, I understand it now.

about this question, I asked my attorney, too. He confirmed that I would be legal once the immigration department accepted your case, which means you got receipt of I-539 form from that department and then you would be fine.

Becase once you submit the application, you would be legal to stay.

But I do suggest you should contact certain immigration attorney, and then figure out your question.

Hi argool
I appreciate ur help

Hi,

Can you please tell me did you sent the original I20 when u mail I539 to USCIS. Because I mail copy of I20. I dont know if I did right or wrong. Please tell me so I can contact USCIS in case if I am wrong.

My school sent me I20 but next to the SEVIS, it is not stamped. Can you tell me from where we get stamped I20.

Thanks,
Deepa

Hi,

Can you please tell me did you sent the original I20 when u mail I539 to USCIS. Because I mail copy of I20. I dont know if I did right or wrong. Please tell me so I can contact USCIS in case if I am wrong.

My school sent me I20 but next to the SEVIS, it is not stamped. Can you tell me from where we get stamped I20.

Thanks,
Deepa

argool thnx for help :) plz can tell me wat concrete reason did u give to USCIS why did convert b1 to f1 and didnt come to usa on f1 ???

hi frends i am a canadian P.R... but still an indian citizen .. my concern here is should i apply for f1 visa from my home country or should i apply it from canada... which one is better.