Visibly pregnant at interviews

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

bmcgilligan

10+ Year Member
5+ Year Member
15+ Year Member
Reaction score
I will be 7-8 months pregnant with my first (and only) child during my interviews. I am a solid applicant...good Step scores, AOA, great LOR and evals.

I know it is illegal to discriminate, but how much discrimination do you think I'll really get? My husband plans to work from home (computer programmer consultant) while I am in residency, so child care isn't an issue. I am not afraid to discuss this during interviews.

Any advice?

Members don't see this ad.

I think a lot depends on what field you are going in to.
If you are doing dermatology or pediatrics they probably will not care you are having a baby. If it is ortho surg or general surg they probably won't be crazy about it, but if you tell them your husband is staying home with the bambino they may cut you some slack.

The fact that it's illegal to discriminate doesn't mean they won't anyway, but I wouldn't worry about this too much now. You are already pregnant so just go for what you want. I WOULD definitely mention that you have adequate plans for child care, and what these are. You shouldn't have to explain all the details of that in your interview, but I think you should mention it.

You sound like a top applicant so it doesn't sound like you'll have trouble getting a residency. I wouldn't stress about it too much. Better to stress mostly about things you can control, and less about the ones you can't control anyway. Congrats on your baby!

Just tell them you have the metabolic syndrome and that it's recently under control.

Members don't see this ad :)
Thanks for the replies.

I am doing categorical IM.

I was fine until I read some of the posts in the ERAS forum about handbags/shoes etc and how the interview process seems so superficial.

I will now go back to being even-keeled.

Your timing is golden, as far as PD's will be concerned. If you're 7-8 months pregnant in Dec/Jan, you'll be delivering in Feb/Mar. You'll be all done with your maternity leave long before internship starts. That's the only thing that could make a PD nervous -- if you were scheduled to deliver in June, then I've got to deal with that. In a big program that usually not a problem, but in smaller programs it can be difficult.

Oh, you have not much to worry about.
aprogramdirector is right
For medicine, they won't care that much that you have a baby, they just don't want you to have it at the beginning of intern year.

what about for surgical specialties? do you think there is discrimination (untold, of course)?

oops, sorry, just realized this is in the IM board.

Yes, I do think the surgeons will care more, and some programs probably would not take a woman with a child. If someone is still determined she wants to be a surgeon, nothing for it but to go for it, though. I would expect to field lots of questions (including illegal ones) about your condition, however.

thank you dragonfly. that's what I figured, but probably the programs won't admit.