Dismiss Notice
SDN members see fewer ads and full resolution images. Join our non-profit community!

vision essay -- guidelines?

Discussion in 'Pre-Medical - MD' started by elle, Jun 27, 2001.

1. elle

elle Senior Member

Hi,
    A couple of weeks ago, I remember reading a post (by Linda Abraham, I think) about the information to include in the practice vision essay. I've looked through the archives for that page, and haven't been able to find it or anything similar! It was a list of five or six items that one could address. If anyone has this list or one of their own and could post it, that would be awesome.

2. Thread continues after this sponsor message. SDN Members do not see this ad.

3. elle

elle Senior Member

I'm just posting this again to put it on the front page...if anyone knows of any sort of guidelines (should you talk about non-medicine related goals? for example) I'd appreciate the advice. :)

4. Smoke This

Smoke This Sweet cuppin' cakes!

I can tell you what I did. I didn't get a chance to say all that I wanted to say about my motivations to study medicine in the personal statement, so I wrote my intro paragraph to pick up on why I want to study medicine and spent another paragraph detailing the reasons. I talked about how in ten years medicine will be fulfilling these motivations, and mentioned some personal goals as well like getting married and raising a family. I also talked about what sort of practice I wanted and that sort of thing. I think that mentioning non-medical goals is a good idea, since the prompt said something like "describe your life and medical practice the way you imagine it in ten years."

Post up or email if you want any more info, and to anyone else reading this, please feel free to share and/or critique.

5. Legend

Legend Super Senior Member

Attending Physician

6. elle

elle Senior Member

Thanks for the replies. :) That's interesting that you both wrote about your motivations in the vision essay...that's what I did in the personal statement, not the vision essay. I just looked in this book of essay I have, and most of them did this, but now that there's the vision essay, is that where we are sort of expected to write about motivations? Maybe I should have looked into this more before I went and wrote my personal statement.
    :)