Visit my Country Syria....

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

ayanjoe

Medicus Sapiens
7+ Year Member
15+ Year Member
20+ Year Member
Reaction score
hey guys....look at the fotos of my beloved city Latakia....
come and visit it some time .......
this is the beach of Latakia on the Mediterranean Sea.

Members don't see this ad.

Attachments

• cote da zur.jpg
    2.5 KB · Views: 379
this is the Oldest Alphabet in the world.....
found in the ancient city of Ugarit...
(it is a Kenaa'ni alphabet)

Attachments

• ugarit alphabet.jpg
    14.4 KB · Views: 361
this a foto for the legendary city of Palmyra.....a city in the middle of the desert that flourished in the old ages....

Attachments

• palmyra.jpg
    22.1 KB · Views: 362
Members don't see this ad :)
so...tell me ...what do u think of Syria....

this is a foto for Latakia museum which was a french command center during the french occupation for syria 1920-1946

Attachments

• museum of latakia.jpg
    9.9 KB · Views: 354
Okay, so my husband stopped me from posting a picture of the WTC....says it would be inappropriate. And he's right, of course.

Syria looks very beautiful, ayanjoe. You seem to be very proud of your country and your people. A good friend of ours is from Syria originally, now an internist in Ohio. Do you think it would be safe for Americans to visit Syria at this time?

I'm curious, have you ever been to the US? Also, how old are you? (You seem very young...)

TO WOMANSURG :

Well i am 18 years old but i am a student in the second year in medicine faculty,,,,
and about Syria......you will not believe that when i am bored in the period before the test and when i lose concentration i just go down and have a ride on my bike even IF IT IS
****** 3:00 AM ********
and i take nothing with me...no gun and no spray ....just ride in latakia feeling 100% safe....

we may hear that we are TERRORISTS and we are CRIMINALS
but we are really not.....we are real simple peacful people ....
we don't hate anyone on earth >>> and we haven't hurt anyone.......
u may think that the SYRIAN people hate Americans,,,,,
but that is 100% WRONG ...
****We like american people**** but your government's blinde support for isreal's policy in the rigion is the main reason for a little TENSION in the syrian-american relationship.....

Syrian ( Arab people in general ) have been known for their help for ********any guest**********
and syrian people is known through history for its KINDNESS and HOSPITALITY.......

well....what ever i say i won't be able to describe SYRIA fairly...
the only way to know it is just ::::

PAY A VISIT AND SEE BY YOURSELF.............

that is all what i can say....

Anyone has the right to visit Syria ....
Do u know that there are some **jewish** families still living in Damascus , Syria till now and they are respected and well treated ....do u know why we HIGHLY RESPECT these people:

because they prefered living in Syria and being with their own people on going on and moving to Isreal....
They are 100% pure syrian....even more than lots of people in syria....

they didn't go to Isreal although they will have everything in their
hands when they travel there....
but they KNOW that to be with people who they were raised with .....to be with your friends ....to be in the country which u were raised in is much much VALUABLE than moving to Isreal and having the money and.........etc

hahahaha....please tell me where did u that information ???

when u travel to Syria they don't ask u about your religion and EVERY GUEST is more than Welcome here.............

God !!!! your information about Syria is really a big mess......
i hope i got things clear enough.....

this a foto for the famous citadele in Aleppo...which is located to the north in syria...

Attachments

• alqalghacitadel.gif
    64.6 KB · Views: 325
this handicraft is from Ugarit near latakia....
it is about 3000 years old.

Attachments

• handicraft from ugarit.jpg
    14.2 KB · Views: 339
It looks beautiful. It is very important to be proud of your country and heritage. I certainly don't agree with everything the US does but I love my country. Most of the people I know from the Middle East and very friendly and peaceful people.

hey this is a foto of AL-Assi river with these special things on its sides...(i don't know their name in english )
they are about 800 years old...

Attachments

• hama.jpg
    10.5 KB · Views: 298
dude, that is way cool.

my fam. is from Aleppo , I go like every other year. Smoking argeela next the castle is pretty sweet. But in my opinion the city is too dry and desert like. I was at Latakia, a few summers ago, the weather is way cooler.

Syria has a secular govt. so don't worry about being attacked if you are American, just don't go around flaunting it if you visit.
p[eace
H

Members don't see this ad :)
Those are really cool ayanjoe, are they used for grinding grain at a mill?

yes that is true...besides they say it is used to raise to water level in the river...

and this a foto from a traditional public bath in the capitol Damascus which is considered the oldest capitol in the world....

Attachments

• a bath in damascus.jpg
    26.7 KB · Views: 279
Originally posted by womansurg
Okay, so my husband stopped me from posting a picture of the WTC....says it would be inappropriate. And he's right, of course.

Syria looks very beautiful, ayanjoe. You seem to be very proud of your country and your people. A good friend of ours is from Syria originally, now an internist in Ohio. Do you think it would be safe for Americans to visit Syria at this time?

I'm curious, have you ever been to the US? Also, how old are you? (You seem very young...)
What in god's name does the WTC have to do with the original post? If I posted pictures of Cancun or London, or the beautiful Nile in Sudan, would you also threaten to post a pic of the WTC. The Nile is the Nile and it is stunning; what country it is in is peripheral to appreciating its beauty. I am getting so disgusted with SDN. Ugh.

look at this citadel and its beatiful building....

Attachments

• al-husun citadele.jpg
    20.9 KB · Views: 257
I must regretfully decline your enticement due to a lack of $$$$. :) But if you ever come here, you should visit the Great Smoky Mountain National Park.

^^them things are 60,000 yrs old.

all this thread is just to give u a glance about syria....no competition here......
u have lots of things that it would take 3 years to see all of them ...
but we have some nice things too .....
it is an exchange of the fotos of nice things....

wait untill i scan a foto for Slunfeh.....

Originally posted by praying4MD
What in god's name does the WTC have to do with the original post? If I posted pictures of Cancun or London, or the beautiful Nile in Sudan, would you also threaten to post a pic of the WTC. The Nile is the Nile and it is stunning; what country it is in is peripheral to appreciating its beauty. I am getting so disgusted with SDN. Ugh.

yeah, i'm going to have to agree with praying on this one at least. i dont see what the f*ck ayanjoe besides posting some random, yet very cool pics, of his homeland that elicited that World Trade Center comment :mad:

I considered replying to this earlier but I have absolutly no idea what womansurg is talking about:confused: :confused: I see no correlation between Syria and WTC

well i don't know what made womansurg pop up with WTC...
but anyway,,,,,,please don't get out of the thread's subject...

ayanjoe-- i like the pictures. :D they're random, but thanks for posting them.

that's all i have to say. be nice, folks. :)

Originally posted by ayanjoe
well i don't know what made womansurg pop up with WTC...
but anyway,,,,,,please don't get out of the thread's subject...

I have this water blister on my foot that popped & it's kinda itchy. Sorry, couldn't resist.:D :D

well it is the omayyad mosque in Damascus....it was built by the omayyad people whose capital was Damascus...

Attachments

• omayshiny2.jpg
    8.1 KB · Views: 219
this is a Jesus icon taken from Maalula...the sacred city where some saints hided there from the romans for a while...

Attachments

• maaloula_jesus_icon.jpg
    18.7 KB · Views: 222
I will move this to the international forum as maybe you can get some tourist interest there. By the way, these boards are not meant to be used as an advertising service...nor a tourist attraction service.

Tourist interest in International fourm??? :confused:

Anyway, leorl, ayanjoe is not posting unilaterally.. People are expressing interest in Syria.. I don't know exactly what the TOS says about this, but I'm sure it's not looking very out of place in the Lounge.

Great pics, btw, ayanjoe.

I agree with you, Long Hair, this thread has really nothing at all to do with the interests of MD students from international schools.

O dear. Sometimes I forget how important it is when addressing a wide audience to avoid inferences or implications....there are always people who will miss your point or misinterpret.

If you think back to the time of my post, ayanjoe was at that time presenting himself as this caps-locked, screaming moralist who headed posts with topics such as whether Jewish people were allowed in heaven, or the immorality of sex outside of wedlock, or how sacrilegious folks would burn in hell.

Our very next thread from this seeming radical is an invitation to Americans to visit his home country, Syria - a country notorious for its support of Muslim extremists: the Hamas and Hezbollah terrorist factions.

My emotional reaction was to say, "you know what, let me tell you about my country. I come from a beautiful country too. In my country, Jews do go to heaven. We can have different views on religion and nobody goes to hell. Those of us who have loved someone outside of marriage are decent, honorable people. Tolerance and acceptance are cherished ideology in my country.

ayanjoe, let me show YOU a picture of my country; the same country whose people you seem so critical of..."

Of course, based on the subsequent character of his posts, it is now apparent to us all that ayanjoe is not some extremist looking to inculcate us with religious dogmatism (well, at least not in a hostile way). Rather, he is some teenage kid excitedly and clumsily revealing himself and his background to people from a different culture. I know this about him because I took the time to ask him.

People die because of religious and cultural bigotry. Our losses are real, and they are raw, and they are recent. That rhetoric coming from someone from the Middle East felt, at best, irritating to me and, at worst, ominous.

I misread ayanjoe; that is clear -- now. It wasn?t at the time that I had those sentiments.

-ws

That rhetoric coming from someone from the Middle East felt, at best, irritating to me and, at worst, ominous.
As opposed to someone NOT from the Middle East who spouts off that absurd rhetoric? i.e. Jerry Falwell, the same man that said that America "deserved" 9/11 because it was God's way of punishing us because we have an excess of homosexuals, those "sinners." :rolleyes:

Religious dogmatism of any kind is indeed annoying, but I still do not see any relevance whatsoever to 9/11 or rhetoric specifically from the Middle East when people right here in America are saying just as abominable things and insulting others' beliefs and cultures (Falwell just called Mohamed a "terrorist" Robertson called him a pedophile.) I wonder how Christians would react if someone called Jesus a terrorist or a pedophile. I also wonder why we are not outraged when others' beliefs are insulted, but are so offended when someone seemingly even hints at insulting ours.

I just feel a certain degree of respect has been lost for others' beliefs and cultures recently, particularly those of middle eastern descent. It saddens me greatly because respect and admiration for others' religions and cultures is the foundation of this great country and we are losing it altogether too quickly in the so called name of "patriotism," which it is anything but.

Judasim , christianity and islam are the same......
they all came from god and they all say to do GOOD things ...
but the problem is not in the religion ....it is in the religion followers who MISUNDERSTOOD their religion.....
and these mistaken people are jews and christians and muslims.....
ALL what Humanity and all Religions want just to live in PEACE...
is that too much ??????

'Can't we all just get along???'

You're right, ayanhoe. Out of the mouths of babes...

As opposed to someone NOT from the Middle East who spouts off that absurd rhetoric? i.e. Jerry Falwell, the same man that said that America "deserved" 9/11 because it was God's way of punishing us because we have an excess of homosexuals, those "sinners." ....Religious dogmatism of any kind is indeed annoying, but I still do not see any relevance whatsoever to 9/11 or rhetoric specifically from the Middle East...
No, bigotry passing as religiousity is frightening and reprehensible to me on all accounts. But Muslim extremists just blew up buildings and airplanes killing more than 3,000 of our citizens - on our own soil. Our country is at war with terrorism, and verging on an official declaration of war with Iraq - which terrifies me. Hence my misguided initial reaction to aranjoe's posts. (Although I would have responded far more vehemently against someone espousing homophobia, actually...)

I just feel a certain degree of respect has been lost for others' beliefs and cultures recently, particularly those of middle eastern descent. It saddens me greatly because respect and admiration for others' religions and cultures is the foundation of this great country and we are losing it altogether too quickly in the so called name of "patriotism," which it is anything but.
You are exactly right, Praying4MD. When people look to guard against cultural zealotry, a degeneration into xenophobia (and a reverse bigotry) is precisely the feared outcome. As ayanjoe's thread evolved and his identity became more clear, I was delighted and proud to see the open, inquisitive responses to his revelations about his country. Even at this difficult moment in our history, that philosphy of sweeping acceptance and inclusiveness is the strength behind our unity, and is the character behind the sentiment of true patriotism.

I'm glad - and relieved - that people were shocked and offended by my misdirected intitial mistrust - I'm a little shocked and offended myself.

-ws

'Can't we all just get along???'

You're right, ayanhoe. Out of the mouths of babes...

No, bigotry passing as religiousity is frightening and reprehensible to me on all accounts. But Muslim extremists just blew up buildings and airplanes killing more than 3,000 of our citizens - on our own soil. Our country is at war with terrorism, and verging on an official declaration of war with Iraq - which terrifies me. Hence my misguided initial reaction to aranjoe's posts. (Although I would have responded far more vehemently against someone espousing homophobia, actually...)

You are exactly right, Praying4MD. When people look to guard against cultural zealotry, a degeneration into xenophobia (and a reverse bigotry) is precisely the feared outcome. As ayanjoe's thread evolved and his identity became more clear, I was delighted and proud to see the open, inquisitive responses to his revelations about his country. Even at this difficult moment in our history, that philosphy of sweeping acceptance and inclusiveness is the strength behind our unity, and is the character behind the sentiment of true patriotism.

I'm glad - and relieved - that people were shocked and offended by my misdirected intitial mistrust - I'm a little shocked and offended myself.

-ws
Thanks for being so candid and honest and for clearing all that up. It turns out I agree with you more than I originally thought and we are pretty much on the same page! :)

I respect that you have admitted your hasty judgment before-- that is quite admirable in this day and age of SDN.

Take care and keep up the good posts,
praying4sleep

Well....osama bin laden is totally crazy and a complete jurk...
he is dreaming of having a Kalipheh back and these rubbish....

well....islam by itself is a very good frame for life .....but Islam in their POINT OF VIEW will kill any hope for democracy and is way much far from the REAL islam.......

it is really strange that Human being JUST can't live to gether peacfully.....even muslims , jews , christians who are from the same GOD ......they are supposed to stand together.....and live in a loving atmosphere....
Extremists are found everywhere .....and if they got loose they are as dangerous as any world war.....

and about Hamas & Hozballah.....u say that they are terrorists....
why don't u look at them as Freeddom defenders????
well they took islam as a frame for their organization coz islam tells muslims to Defend their LAND till the last drop of blood...
islam is juat a way to hold them together...
and these terrorist groups didn't attack USA .....they are trying to retrieve some land which was occupied bu Isreal...

and about palestine.......do u know that there are some CHRISTIANS in hamas ........it is not about religion ...these people are trying to have the lowest limit of descent life....but Isreal just don't want them to have it....

things were good in the middle east...and there was going to be 2 states Palestinian , Isreal...things were good until Isreal hit the palestinian people ...and those hit back .....and so on....

IT IS PURE CRAZINESS ....GOING ON IN PALESTINE & ISREAL
both sides are crazy ......they are following the
hit----->hit back policy which will get them to NO WHERE....

PEACE PEOPLE......that is not too much...