Visiting NYCOM to look for housing

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

hamilton

15+ Year Member
20+ Year Member
Reaction score
I'm starting at NYCOM next year and I was thinking of coming down there on May 7 or 8 to do a preliminary search for housing. I was wondering if anyone had any advice for me or would be willing to help me out. I would really like to find at least one other roommate. Thanks so much!

Members don't see this ad.

Finding housing in the NYCOM area depends on where you plan on settling down. I know some NYCOM students who commute from as far as Brooklyn and Manhattan (about an hour by car). I also know others who commute from Queens, which isn't so bad, and not to mention, affordable.

NYCOM's one fault is that it's in one of the wealthier parts of Nassau County, which generally has a mix of both good parts and pretty dingy parts for a suburb. Old Westbury homes run an average of $1 million, so there's probably no luck in finding a place to buy or even rent near NYCOM.

Most NYCOM students I know live in either Glen Cove, a decent middle-class area about 10 minutes from campus. Rent for a house can be brought down if you find a bunch of roomates, but at the same time, houses aren't easy to come by.

Other NYCOM students might take a look at Roslyn Heights, which is a bit better than Glen Cove, but again, housing for rent is tough to find in Long Island without an agent.

I'd get in touch with current MS2s at NYCOM and find out which of them are giving up their apartments/houses, since the MS3 year at NYCOM is usually in Brooklyn.

Housing in Brooklyn and Queens, fortunately, is pretty easy to find and relatively cheap compared to Nassau County.

Good luck.

Tim of New York City.

If you guys find anything available please let me know, i will start my search in a few week, but i will jump if something comes up before then

Members don't see this ad :)
Hey Turtleboard,

The students that you know at NYCOM that commute from Manhattan - do they find that they are able to handle the heavy curriculum and deal with losing a few hours a day to commuting without driving themselves crazy?

I'm just trying to figure out if I would be able to stay in my apartment in Manhattan without being miserable about the commute.
(I live on the upper west side). It sounds like NYCOM has one of the tougher 1st and 2nd year curriculums and I want to do everything I can to minimize my stress levels.

JH

Go to the NYCOM library and look at the notebook which lists current ads for rooms or apt. for rent.

It's obvious that commuting to Old Westbury from Manhattan is less than ideal, but for many of them, staying in Manhattan is what keeps them going.

Sure they lose two or more hours a day in commuting time, but with study space at NYCOM as limited as it appears, you might just spend two or more hours a day waiting for a spot to study.

If you're willing to move to Long Island, then my advice is to do it. If you just love Manhattan a lot and you have a really great apartment, then maybe you should stay and hold on to that. It shouldn't be too tough.

Tim of New York City.

I'm not sure where the idea of limited study space at NYCOM came from. I study on campus often, and have never had to wait for study time. They are in the process of reconstruction on some rooms to create more study space, but in the meantime, there are three lecture halls open for study which are never more than a small fraction of the way full. There is the library, study rooms and another large study room affectionately known as the dungeon.

The only place I know where that rumor may have come from is the fact that the construction is going on in the one building during the day. There are plenty of other places to study, but a lot of medical students tend to be anal. If their usual place is disrupted, they can get really excited and act like the sky is falling.

Anyway, all I am trying to say is, rest assured, there is not a limited amount of study space at NYCOM.

Are the ads that are in the book in the library for housing that is only opening up immediately or are they for housing that will be opening up later on in the summer? I'm not planning on moving to Long Island until the beginning of August, but I would like to set up some type of housing for the fall now. Is this possible?

It's really tough to find housing unless you're ready to act. The only way I could think of to reserve an apt. is to go ahead and start paying rent now. Available apt. get snatched up pretty quickly. When I moved here a year ago, most places told me to call when I was ready to do something. Most places open now will not be that way for long.

Not to dispute anything you say, togo, since you actually attend NYCOM, but my friends are CONSTANTLY complaining about the lack of space to study.

Many of them have retreated to their cars in the parking lot for some place quiet.
smile.gif
How about in other parts of the NYIT campus? How about the main library? Aren't those places open to NYCOM students for study?

Tim of New York City.

I respect your opinions and friendships, but it is as I said. There are plenty of places to study that are quiet. One of the many options of study space has been under construction lately. There are many people that just prefer to complain rather than study some place different than there normal place. And, yes, the NYIT library is open to us, but more importantly, as I said, there are many places that aren't anywhere close to being full that have been provided for us. A few weeks ago, they started leaving the new building on campus with the two 330 seat lecture halls open for us to study before and after hours. I study there predominantly now, and there are rarely more than ten or fifteen people in either of those rooms at a time.

[This message has been edited by togo (edited 05-03-2000).]

Hey J134,

I lived in the upper west side myself but once school started I decided it would be best to live close to school. Once school starts you're constantly bombarded with weekly exams on monday mornings so you don't want to take a chance getting stuck in the LIE traffic or bad weather conditions. During the anatomy course you'll be going up to the lab to review the structures as well. So, there's a definite plus for staying close to school. However, there's also the downside. It's true what turtleboard said about not having enough space to study here at NYCOM. The library is pretty pathetic and yes togo is correct in that they do open up the auditoriums (after people pleaded with the administration)as study room but somehow you expect a medical school to provide spaces other than lecture rooms. I've gone to CW Post to study as well as bookstores (Borders and Barnes & Noble) to study because there is no space sometime when both the 1st and 2nd year students have major tests coming up.

Of course it's just my opinion...

Hey, turtleboard. Who do you know from NYCOM? You can email me at the address provided in my profile.

Togo: I guess the "lack of study space" rumor stems from the fact that most students are sick of the campus here. Personally, I find myself going next door to CW Post.

I'm not really sure how this turned into a discussion about study space but what can you do. I am interested in learning about NYCOM housing opportunities. If any female (pref. a non-smoker) finds a reasonable apartment for next year and needs a roommate, let me know. I'd be interested. You can email me at [email protected]

Hi,
I am interested in housing too at NYCOM this coming fall. If there are any 2nd year students leaving their apts, can u please let me know? Hamilton, did u go to Long island yet to look around? Let me know how it went and all. This whole process is so new and feels so overwhelming to me
eek.gif

Thanks,
Jo

What the hell is this about lack of study space at NYCOM??? We have more space at NYCOM than we really know what to do with! There are two new air-hangar sized lecture halls each containing about 300 seats.....if this alone is not enough study space, than perhaps the NYCOM students have transformed into 800 pound elephants? As far as I can tell, there is plenty of space to study at NYCOM. I myself study at home, because I need to be close to my handy supply of vodka and angel dust...however that is just me. I know a lot of people that study at NYCOM, and I hear no complaints. Occasionally, I have studied at NYCOM, and never has there been a problem. So enough with this nonsense of not enough study space at NYCOM. Open your eyes, and take your head out of your bunghole.
-Your very own caustic Liquid

Dude, calm down... That was just an opinion uttered by some NYCOM students who I happen to know, and from my countless visits to the school.

I'm not knocking NYCOM's facilities, but a lecture hall is considered study space nowadays?
smile.gif

What about a library with desks, lamps, and chairs? Or how about designated "study halls" on the campus for exclusive use of NYCOM students? I think that's what most people expect when they think "study space."
wink.gif

And if you read the NYCOM entry on that new med school website (the URL is in the Allopathic section), students complain about the lack of study space there too.

Tim of New York City.

[This message has been edited by turtleboard (edited 05-18-2000).]