Visiting schools?

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

prmdbeach17

10+ Year Member
15+ Year Member
Reaction score
So I know this is a stupid question but in my defense I'm a sophomore and can't find it in any threads...but does anyone go see schools before applying, maybe the summer before the year you apply? Or do you just pick schools then go to see them during interviews and second look weekends?

Members don't see this ad.

So I know this is a stupid question but in my defense I'm a sophomore and can't find it in any threads...but does anyone go see schools before applying, maybe the summer before the year you apply? Or do you just pick schools then go to see them during interviews and second look weekends?

Generally, most people see the schools for the first time during their interview. But some schools would welcome a visit prior to that. Usually there is information about that on the school's website -- or you could simply call up and ask if you have one in mind.

I took a pre-med class in my undergrad and the instructor set up two visits to two different med schools in my state through the admissions office -- and this was before any of us had applied. That was kind of a special case though.

Another options would be to contact alums from your undergrad who are attending the schools you're interested in visiting. Most students are happy to show off their schools to an eager prospect like you.

I'm sure a school would be thrilled to give you a tour or answer any questions you had regarding their program if you just called. If you have the time to do so and its a program you are really interested in you shouldn't hesitate to ask.